Daily Current Affairs Feb 8
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Feb 8
Shatabdi, Rajdhani, Duronto trains to have 4 CCTV cameras in every coach.
- All coaches of the Shatabdi, Rajdhani and Duronto trains will soon have four CCTV cameras each to ensure passenger safety, a railways official said on Wednesday.
- Twenty-three pairs of Rajdhani, 26 pairs of Shatabdi and 18 pairs of Duronto trains will have this facility.
- Vishwesh Chaube, general manager, Northern Railway, said Duronto train coaches are to be fitted with CCTV one each on the (two) entry gates and two in the gallery.
- Around Rs, 3,000 crores were allocated in the 2018-19 Union Budget to install CCTV cameras in all the 11,000 trains eventually.
- The project would eventually extend to cover all the premier and suburban services and the 8,500 stations in the railway network.
Now, playing national anthem in Maharashtra cinema halls not mandatory.
- Playing the national anthem in cinema halls before screening films is not mandatory in Maharashtra now.
- Maharashtra was among the first few states to make the national anthem mandatory in cinema halls in 2003.
- The state home department issued the order, dated February 1, directing local administrations to comply with the SC orders.
- The SC on January 9, by modifying its earlier order, made it optional for cinema halls to play the national anthem before screening a film.
Union Cabinet approves an auction of 60 oil and gas fields of ONGC, OIL.
- The Union Cabinet approved offering of 60 oil and gas fields of ONGC and OIL in the second auction of Discovered Small Field round.
- Out of the 60 fields, 22 were discovered by Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), 5 belong to Oil India Ltd and 12 are relinquished fields.
- The remaining 21 are fields that did not receive any bid in the DSF first round last year.
- These discoveries are estimated to have 194.65 million tons of oil and oil equivalent gas in place.
- Investments in these fields will lead to the generation of over 88,000 jobs as direct, indirect and induced employment.
Govt gives approval, financial sanction to build 12 nuclear power reactors.
- The government has accorded administrative approval and financial sanction for construction of 12 nuclear power reactors in the country.
- Out of these, 10 will be indigenous Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWRs) with a capacity of 700 MW each and the remaining two will be Light Water Reactors.
- Two PHWRs each will be set up in Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka and Haryana, while four will be established in Rajasthan.
- The two LWRs each having a capacity of 1,000 MW will come up at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu.
- Currently, seven nuclear power projects are being constructed in the country with a combined capacity of 5300 MW of capacity.
Karnataka panel proposes 3-colour official state flag.
- A committee constituted last June by the Kannada and Culture department of the Karnataka government recommending an official three-coloured flag to replace an unofficial two-coloured one currently used to signify local pride.
- Led by the chairman of Kannada Development Authority G S Siddaramaya, the nine-member committee has recommended a flag with the yellow and red of the unofficial flag to be separated by white in the middle with the state symbol on it.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said the issue will be put up for consideration by the state cabinet before it is forwarded to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
- If adopted with clearance from the MHA, Karnataka will be the second state after Jammu and Kashmir to have an official state flag.
Patna airport slips 15 places in global rankings.
- Jayaprakash Narayan International Airport (JPNI), Patna, dropped 15 places from 58th to 73rd position in the global ranking of airports handling 2-5 million passengers in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- The rating for overall satisfaction of passengers at Patna airport, based on Airports Service Quality (ASQ) survey done by the Airports Council International.
- Airports Authority of India (AAI) officials said Patna airport’s performance was still good as it was ranked 73rd among 300 airports.
Latest International Current Affairs Feb 8 Updates from around the globe.
Falcon Heavy is a game changer in the space race.
- On Tuesday, the world’s most powerful rocket ever was launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, United States.
- SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy was successfully tested on its first attempt, an achievement that is important for two reasons.
- One, Falcon Heavy, which is essentially an assembling of three Falcon 9s is now way ahead and by ahead, really ahead of the competition in the so-called heavy-lift category.
- Second, SpaceX, a company promoted by Elon Musk, has shown that it can not only easily reach the LEO (and go beyond), but has also done this using reusable booster which will drastically cut the costs of launching satellites.
Venezuela sets April 22 for election after talks break down.
- Venezuelan officials moved swiftly Wednesday to call an early presidential election, acting hours after a breakdown in talks between the government and opposition over how to conduct the vote.
- The election will take place on April 22, said Tibisay Lucena, head of the government-controlled National Electoral Council.
- Socialist President Nicolas Maduro has already launched his campaign for a second term and currently stands as the only candidate.
Los Angeles Times sold to the local billionaire for $500 million.
- A billionaire doctor struck a USD 500 million deal today to buy the Los Angeles Times, ending the paper’s quarrelsome relationship with its Chicago-based corporate overseers.
- The agreement marks the latest instance of a rich, civic-minded individual buying a newspaper from a big corporation.
- Soon-Shiong is a major shareholder of Chicago’s Tronc Inc, one of the richest men in Los Angeles and, according to Forbes.
- The deal includes The San Diego Union-Tribune, various titles in the California News Group and the assumption of $90 million in pension liabilities.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Feb 8 updates by reading the news.
Alphabet shifts thermostat maker nest into Google.
- Alphabet Inc merged smart thermostat maker Nest, which had operated as an independent unit, into its Google hardware group.
- The move unifies Google’s growing hardware team, which designs smartphones, laptops and speakers, with Nest.
- Google acquired Nest for $3.2 billion in 2014. Nest operated on its own as part of the establishment in 2015 of holding company Alphabet.
Twenty-First Century Fox tops profit estimates as cable shines.
- Rupert Murdoch’s Twenty-First Century Fox Inc trounced Wall Street estimates for quarterly profit and revenue.
- It profit helps them by increases in the fees it collects from cable and satellite distributors.
- Revenue from Fox’s cable division, which houses the Fox News and FX channels among others, rose 11 percent from October through December to $4.41 billion.
Appointments Updates of Current Affairs Feb 8
GoAir appoints Jyri Strandman as Chief Operating Officer.
- Low-cost airline GoAir announced the appointment of Jyri Strandman as its Chief Operating Officer.
- Jyri will be responsible for strengthening GoAir’s operational functions of Flight Operations; Engineering; Airport, Security and Airside Operations.
- Jyri has over 30 years of experience in the aviation industry.
- Before Joining GoAir, Jyri is with US-based Spirit Airlines as director, Operations and VP, Flight Operations.
Current Affairs Feb 8 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
MS Dhoni 4th wicketkeeper to effect 400 dismissals in ODIs.
- MS Dhoni became the fourth wicket-keeper to effect 400 dismissals in ODIs when he had Aiden Markram stumped during the third match between India and South Africa.
- Dhoni is the only wicketkeeper in history to affect more than 100 stumpings in ODIs.
- Wicket-keepers who have more dismissals to their name than Dhoni are Kumar Sangakkara (482), Adam Gilchrist (472) and Mark Boucher (424).
West Ham sign full-back Patrice Evra on the short-term contract.
- West Ham United have signed former Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra on a short-term contract.
- The 36-year-old Frenchman has been without a club since he left Ligue 1 side Olympique Marseille.
- Evra made 379 appearances for United between 2006 and 2014 and won nine major trophies, including five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.
Virat Kohli has more ODI century number by India captain.
- Virat Kohli scored his 34th ODI century for India in the third ODI against South Africa in Cape Town.
- This is his second century in South Africa and third in four innings.
- He is now past Sourav Ganguly as the Indian captain with most ODI century. He now has 12 centuries while Ganguly has only 11.
Jhulan Goswami becomes the first woman to pick 200 ODI wickets.
- India bowler Jhulan Goswami on Wednesday became the first woman to pick 200 ODI wickets.
- The right-handed bowler achieved the feat while playing her 166th match when she scalped the wicket of South Africa opener Laura Wolvaardt.
- Goswami’s best bowling figures came are of 6/32 which came in 2011 against New Zealand.
Ex-BJP chief of Arunachal passes away.
- Former president of BJP Arunachal Pradesh unit Kangir Jamoh died at a hospital in Guwahati following the prolonged illness.
- Jamoh who was also president of Adi Baane Kebang, the highest body of the Adi tribe.
- He had served as president of BJP state unit from 1998 to 2003.
Links Related to Current Affairs Feb 8:
|Current Affairs | 07-Feb-2018||Current Affairs | 06-Feb-2018|
|Feb 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF Jan 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs Feb 8 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs Feb 8.