Current Affairs Dec 16 2017
Have a complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Dec 16.
Karnataka court cancels government to rule on stringent tobacco pack warnings.
- The Karnataka High Court on Friday quashed government rules that mandated stringent graphic health warnings on tobacco products.
- The Supreme Court last year ordered enforcement of the government’s 2014 rules that required 85% of a tobacco pack’s surface to be covered in health warnings.
- At the same time, the top court had asked the court in Karnataka to rule on the dozens of tobacco industry pleas that challenged the federal rules.
Railways to install CCTV cameras in 983 stations using Nirbhaya Fund.
- The railways have identified 983 railway stations for the installation of CCTV cameras using the Nirbhaya Fund.
- The fund was set up following an announcement in the 2013 Union Budget after the brutal gangrape of a Delhi girl on December 16, 2012.
- The railways were given Rs 500 crore from the fund by the Finance Ministry.
- So far, 106 railway stations have been covered with CCTV surveillance system, and 139 baggage scanners, 32 under vehicle scanning system, 217 door frame metal detectors.
Rahul Gandhi to take charge as Congress President today.
- Rahul Gandhi will swear in as the new President of the Congress party today, taking over the reins of the grand old party from his mother, Sonia Gandhi.
- Sonia was elected Congress President in 1998 and spearheaded the party during the 10 years of UPA-1 and UPA-2.
- Rahul Gandhi who formerly was the Vice President of the grand old party will have a tough task at hand to bring the party on track again with just over a year left in 2019 general election.
Important National Updates
National Current Affairs Dec 16 updates which are trending in the country.
Meghalaya launches India’s first social audit law.
- Meghalaya became the first state in India to operationalise a law that makes the social audit of government programmes and schemes a part of government practice.
- Chief Minister Mukul Sangma launched ‘The Meghalaya Community Participation and Public Services Social Audit Act, 2017’, at a national convention in Shillong.
- So far, social audits of government programmes have been done at the initiative of civil society organisations.
Odisha CM approves 25% reservation for their state students in NLUO.
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik gave his approval for reservation of 25% seats in National Law University Odisha (NLUO) for students of the state.
- The students from the state willing to pursue legal studies as a career will be significantly benefitted by this initiative.
Latest International Current Affairs Dec 16 Updates from around the globe.
India most reliable regional partner of Afghanistan says Pentagon.
- India is Afghanistan’s “most reliable regional partner”, the Pentagon told the US Congress as it welcomed additional economic, medical, and civic support from New Delhi to the war-torn country.
- This assistance includes civil development projects such as the Afghanistan-India Friendship Dam and the Afghan parliament building.
- Pentagon said India has also donated limited security assistance, most notably four Mi-35 aircraft to Afghanistan.
Russia’s presidential election to take place on March 18.
- Russia’s presidential election will take place on March 18 following a vote in the upper chamber of the country’s parliament.
- Though the vote Friday from the Federation Council is largely a formality, it formally kick-starts the campaign.
- President Vladimir Putin last week ended weeks of speculation, saying he will run for the fourth term. Putin’s 80 percent approval ratings make his victory all but certain.
China plans remote sensing satellites over south China sea.
- China is planning to launch satellites from its southern Hainan province to assist round-the-clock remote sensing coverage over the South China Sea.
- The Sanya Institute of Remote Sensing said it would launch three optical satellites next year.
- Yang Tianliang, director of the institute, said the network was calculated to broadly cover the area between 30 degrees north and south of the equator.
More International News
Trending News that took place around the world on Dec 16 Current Affairs
60-million-year-old meteorite strike discovered in Scotland.
- Geologists exploring volcanic rocks on Scotland’s Isle of Skye have found ejecta from a previously unknown, 60 million-year-old meteorite impacts.
- Simon Drake, an associate lecturer in geology at the Birkbeck University of London, zeroed in on a meter-thick layer at the base of a 60.0 million-year-old lava flow.
Oxford dictionaries declare ‘Youthquake’ word of the year.
- Oxford Dictionaries has declared Youthquake as 2017’s Word of the Year, reflecting what it calls a political awakening among millennial voters.
- The Oxford English Dictionary defines youthquake as the “series of radical political and cultural upheavals.
- Casper Grathwohl said youthquake’s use in the everyday speech had increased five-fold during 2017.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Dec 16 updates by reading the news.
India raises import tax on cell phones.
- India has increased the import tax on dozens of electronic products such as mobile phones and television sets.
- The rise in tax from 10% to 15% on handsets will make imports of phones including most of Apple’s iPhone models more expensive.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a flagship Make-in-India programme to expand the domestic industrial base.
As per report Samsung’s may lose its sales at the end of 2018.
- An industry tracker said Samsung may no longer be the top smartphone company in the world in 2018.
- The company predicts to lose ground in the smartphone segment due to the rise of Chinese smartphone companies.
- Industry tracker Strategy Analytics said that Samsung is expected to post a market share of 19.2% in the global smartphone industry in 2018.
Agreements that took place around the world on Dec 16 Current Affairs
SS Bhogal elected as vice president of LMA.
- Prominent city Industrialist and former chairman of CII, Punjab, S.S.Bhogal is unanimously elected as Vice President of Ludhiana Management Association.
- Bhogal was also the Vice Regional Chairman EEPC (Northern Region) he is the member of technical education committee constituted by the government of Punjab.
Current Affairs Dec 16 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Guardiola and Salah win November Premier League awards.
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola was named November’s Premier League manager of the month for his third straight award.
- The red-hot Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah became the first Egyptian to win the player of the month award.
- The Premier League’s top scorer Salah was voted BBC African Footballer of the Year for 2017.
FIFA suspends Brazilian football president Marco Polo del Nero.
- Marco Polo del Nero was suspended Friday as the head of the Brazilian soccer confederation.
- FIFA said Del Nero was under an ethics investigation and was banned for 90 days from all soccer activities.
Links Related to Current Affairs Dec 16:
|Questions | Dec 16 Current Affairs||Quiz | Dec 16 Current Affairs|
|Current Affairs | 15-Dec-2017||Current Affairs Quiz | 15-Dec-2017|
|Current Affairs December 2017||Current Affairs PDF Nov 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.