Current Affairs Dec 24 2017
Read the latest national news from across the country in Current Affairs Dec 24.
Agatti Airport to get India’s First Runway on ‘Sea Bridge’.
- Agatti airport in the Lakshadweep islands is all set to get its first runway on a ‘sea bridge’.
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has given a nod to extend Lakshadweep’s Agatti Airport.
- An RCC platform will be built on the beach and shallow area which will allow bigger ATRs to operate to the island.
- The project will cost about Rs 1,500 crore and once completed, the runway will be long enough for ATR-72 to operate.
- Same plan was considered for Juhu airport in Mumbai and Kullu but, could not be initiated as it wasn’t found suitable.
New Year festivities banned in Andhra Pradesh.
- Andhra Pradesh Endowments Department has issued a circular banning festivities and special darshans at temples to celebrate New Year.
- The circular also stated that organizing new year festivities in temples is not according to Hindu and Telugu traditions as the Telugu new year is Ugadi in April.
- The circular directed the temple managements and priests not to spend money on the floral decorations, banners wishing devotees, and making special arrangements.
- Hindu Dharma Parirakshana Trust Secretary C V Raghavachariyalu said that the temples were spending lakhs on floral decorations and banners for New Year from the donations.
Pilot project “Blue Flag” for beach clean-up was launched the by Environment ministry.
- To raise standards of cleanliness and to set up basic amenities at beaches, Union Environment Ministry has launched a pilot project for beach clean-up and development.
- Under this project, Environment Ministry has asked each coastal state and union territory to nominate one beach which will be developed by deploying funds through the ongoing Integrated Coastal Management Programme.
- Subsequent to the development, attempt will be made to procure ‘Blue Flag’ certification for such identified beaches.
- ‘Blue Flag’ certification testifies that a beach, marina or sustainable boating tourism operator adheres to specific standards. This certification is awarded by the Foundation for Environment Education (FEE).
Important National Updates
Check out more National News in Current Affairs Dec 24 updates, find out which of them are trending in the country.
India and Russia to review economic ties in key areas.
- India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC) was held in New Delhi.
- This meeting was held to review economic cooperation between India and Russia in the areas of trade and investment, energy, transport, agriculture, industry and space.
- External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin chaired the meeting.
- Both the countries have decided to raise the level of the Joint Working Group (JWG) on trade and economic cooperation to that of Deputy Minister/Commerce Secretary Level.
- India and Russia have agreed to discuss and remove any existing barriers to trade and create working groups to boost ties in agriculture and pharmaceuticals.
United Nations marks Mandela’s 100th birthday with a peace summit.
- The UN General Assembly marked the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s birthday with a high-level meeting on world peace.
- A resolution was adopted on 22nd December 2017 regarding the “Nelson Mandela Peace Summit”.
- The summit was conducted before the annual gathering of world leaders in September 2018.
- The resolution highlighted the importance of Nelson Mandela’s contribution to promote race relations, human rights, reconciliation and gender equality.
Latest news from the army, air force and navy of the Republic of India.
Uber Technologies appoints Barney Harford as Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- Barney Harford, former chief executive of Orbitz, was appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Uber Technologies.
- Barney will join Uber Technologies on 2 January 2018. He will take over UBER’s operations, marketing, customer support and the food delivery business.
- He has already served as an adviser in Uber Technologies since October 2017.
Belgium appoints world’s first-ever female ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
- Belgium become the first country to appoint a female ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
- Dominique Mineur was appointed as the world’s first-ever female ambassador to Saudi Arabia.
- Dominique Mineur is currently Belgium’s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates. She will take the job in 2018 summer.
- Saudi Arabia is one of the least gender equal countries in the world. Recently it has relaxed some of its restrictions on women.
Important Business deals and agreements. New Launches and acquisitions, all under one roof at the Current Affairs Dec 24.
India begins dumping probe into chemical imported from Russia.
- India has initiated an dumping probe on imports of ‘Sodium Nitrite’, used in pharma and food processing industries, from Russia.
- The Directorate General of Anti-dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) has found sufficient evidence for dumping of Sodium Nitrite.
- If it is proved that dumping has caused material injury to domestic industry, DGAD would impose anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitrite.
- The probe would investigate on the existence, degree and effect of alleged dumping. It will also recommend the amount of anti-dumping duty.
IndiGo becomes first Indian carrier to operate 1000 flights in a day.
- Indian airliner, IndiGo is the first Indian carrier to operate over 1000 flights in a day across India.
- Indigo’s flight 6E 185 from Mumbai to Kochi became the 1000th flight.
- The airline also took the delivery of its 31st Airbus A-320 Neo aircraft, taking its fleet size to 150 aircrafts.
- It had launched the first ATR flight between Hyderabad and Mangalore under Central Governments regional air connectivity scheme, UDAN.
Interesting news from the world of sports. Current Affairs Dec 24 is bringing you the Records, titles and wins of various sports from across the country and the globe.
India defeats Sri Lanka to end the year with 37 wins.
- India defeated Sri Lanka by five wickets in the third and final T20 at the Wankhede Stadium.
- They completed a 3-0 clean sweep of the series to wind up the year on a high.
- The hosts were defending a mere 136 in a low-scoring game.
- MS Dhoni (16 not out, 10b, 2×4) and Dinesh Karthik (18 not out, 12b), took India home.
- Skipper Rohit Sharma (27; 20b, 4×4, 1×6) threatened to explode again before he pulled one into deep square leg’s hands.
Links Related to Current Affairs Dec 24:
|Questions | Dec 17 Current Affairs||Quiz | Dec 24 Current Affairs|
|Current Affairs | 23-Dec-2017||Current Affairs Quiz | 23-Dec-2017|
|Current Affairs December 2017||Current Affairs PDF Nov 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.