Aspirants we have collected the Valuable Information of Current Affairs December 2016 for all Candidates who are preparing for Competitive Examinations. Here we have mentioned the full September 2016 Current Affairs Explanation and Highlights. The Current Affairs of December 2016 helps candidates to crack the Government and Competitive Exam like IBPS, SBI, RRB Etc., Students can also get the Current Affairs December 2016 Pdf from This Page. We also Provided the December 2016 Current Affairs pdf download. Read the December 2016 Current news which will help you to score better marks in UPSC, SSC, IBPS and various other national exams.
Current Affairs December 2016 – Date-wise Collections
|Date||Current Affairs News||Current Affairs Questions|
(December 2016 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of Dec 1st to 31st)
December 2016 Current Affairs
Current Affairs December 2016 – Latest Current Events Updates
December 2016 Current Affairs – Important Updates
UP Government Flags off Trial Run for the Lucknow Metro
- The trial run for the Lucknow Metro Service was held at Transport Nagar Metro depot, near Amausi airport in Lucknow.
- The train ran up the 5 km stretch to Charbagh station.
- It was flagged off by UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and his father Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Union HRD Ministry Launched the ‘Vittiya Saksharata Abhiyan’ for Cashless Economy.
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Prakash Javadekar launched the ‘Vittiya Saksharata Abhiyan’ (VISAKA) campaign on December 1, 2016 in New Delhi.
- A Video Conference was held with all Higher Education Institutions at National Informatics Centre (NIC) to help people understand the benefits of the cashless economy.
- The Minister also launched a webpage where students can register and give feedback and suggestions on the campaign.
Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan Launched a campaign to Promote Cashless Transaction.
- Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Customer Awareness Campaigns at Auto Care Centre, a HPCL Retail Outlet at Niti Marg on December 3, 2016,
- The Customer Awareness Campaign focuses on spreading awareness and facilitating the common man to use Cashless payment options during day to day transactions instead of cash.
Haryana CM approved implementation of Rs. 50-crore National Hydrology Project.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, gave administrative approval for implementing the Rs 50-crore National Hydrology Project.
- The project will improve the quality and accessibility of information about water resources, and strengthen the capacity of water resource management institutions in the country.
Current Affairs Today – Current Affairs December 2016
Union Cabinet approved the Phase – 1 of the Pune Metro Rail Project.
- The Cabinet Committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave the approval for developing the Phase-I of the Rs 11,420 crore Pune metro rail project.
- The project will cover a length of 31. 254 km and consist of two corridors.
- Corridor-1 will cover a length of 16. 589 km. 11.57 km will be elevated and 5.019 km underground and connects Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation to Swargate.
- Corriodor-2 will cover a length of 14. 665 km elevated track and connects Vanaz to Ramwadi.
Haritha Keralam Mission, launched by Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan.
- Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan launched the Haritha Keralam Mission in Thiruvananthapuram on December 8 2016.
- The mission aims to clear and remove waste from all the water bodies in the state and ensure disposal of solid waste and removal of waste water and measures to increase the area of land under cultivation.
- Renowned singer KJ Yesudas and actor Manju Warrier are brand ambassadors of the mission.
Training on Election Management for SAARC Nations was Organized at IIIDEM.
- A training program was organized by the Election Commission of India on Election Management for SAARC Countries.
- The Program was held at the India International Institute of Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM), sponsored by the Union Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
- The training program was held between December 5 to 15 2016.
- It was attended by 28 delegates of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Maldives, Bhutan and Afghanistan.
(December 2016 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of Dec 1st to 31st)
Competition Commission of India approved the SBI-Bharatiya Mahila Bank Merger.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL) with the country’s largest lender State Bank of India.
- SBI board in August confirmed the merger of Bharatiya Mahila Bank Ltd (BMBL) and that of five associate lenders with itself.
- SBI is also set to merge five associate lenders — State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Travancore (SBT), State Bank of Patiala (SBP) and State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH) — with itself.
- After the merger, about Rs 8 lakh crore(about $120 billion) would be added to SBI’s assets. The bank will have a network of more than 24,000 branches, 2,70,000 employees and total assets of Rs 30 lakh crore.
Current Affairs December 2016 – Current News and Events December2016
TeamIndus signed a Launch Contract with ISRO to launch it’s spacecraft.
- Bangalore-based space tech firm TeamIndus on December 1, 2016 signed a verified commercial launch contract with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- The move is an attempt to win Google Lunar XPRIZE, a competition to challenge and inspire engineers and entrepreneurs from around the globe to develop low-cost methods for space exploration.
- TeamIndus is the only Indian team competing for the $30 million “Google Lunar XPRIZE.” It’s rover has been designed and developed in Bengaluru by a 100-person engineering team including 20 retired ISRO scientists.
- This is the first time ISRO has given a dedicated PSLV to a private entity. TeamIndus will launch its spacecraft aboard ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) in late 2017.
Magnus Carlsen Wins the World Chess Championship.
- Magnus Carlsen of Norway won the World Chess Championship in New York City.
- Carlsen defeated Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin to win his third World Championship.
- In 2013, Carlsen defeated previous world champion Vishwanathan Anand and again in 2014 defended his crown against Anand.
- Karjakin is the world’s youngest grandmaster at the age of 12 years 7 months.
Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn is the new King of Thailand.
- 64 year old Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn has become the new king of Thailand.
- He will succeed his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who died on October 13 at the age of 88.
- The new king will be called as His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun, but as the 10th king of the 234-year-old Chakri dynasty, he can also be called King Maha X.
- However, the new king will be formally crowned after his father’s cremation in 2017.
Chitra Ramkrishna quits as CEO & MD of NSE.
- Chitra Ramkrishna, Managing Director (MD) and chief executive of the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) has resigned from her post.
- The board has set up a selection committee to find a replacement for Ramkrishna and has appointed group president J Ravichandran as interim chief executive officer (CEO).
- She began her career with IDBI in 1983. She has been with the NSE since its inception in 1992.
- She was also named Chairperson of the board of World Federation of Exchanges (WFE).
- Ramakrishna succeeded Ravi Narain as the head of NSE.
Daily Current affairs – Current Affairs December 2016
Former Hockey Umpire Phulel Singh Sujlana passed away.
- Former international hockey umpire and veteran administrator, Phulel Singh Sujlana,passed away on December 2, 2016 in Mumbai.
- Sujlana served as the vice president of the Mumbai Hockey Association Limited MHAL from 1997 and secretary for four years from 2000-2004.
- He was also the chairman of the IHF (Indian Hockey Federation) Umpires Board from 1985 to 1993 and chairman of its Technical Committee in 1985.
Navy Day Celebrated Across the Country.
- The 45th Navy Day was observed on 4 December 2016.
- The day is observed every year to celebrate the magnificence, achievements and role of the naval force to the country.
- Navy Day in India is celebrated to commemorate the courageous attack on the Karachi harbor during the Indo-Pakistan war on December 4, 1971, as well as to pay respect to all the martyrs of that war.
Amazon Launches Its Startup Program ‘Launchpad’ In India.
- Amazon launched it’s startup programme ‘Launchpad‘ in India to support Indian startups scale up their business.
- Launchpad will help startups launch, market, and distribute their products to Amazon customers across India and around the world via a dedicated store.
- It will be an exclusive corner for Indian Startups to get access to big consumer markets nationally and internationally.
Mahindra to acquire Netherlands’s OFD Holdings for 5 million euros.
- Mahindra Agri Solutions Ltd (MASL), acquired Netherlands-based OFD Holding BV for 5 million euros.
- According to the agreement, MASL holds 60 per cent of the equity share capital of OFD Holding BV.
- MASL MD & CEO: Ashok Sharma
- OFD Holding BV Managing Director : Corne van de Klundert
Sammy Lee the First Asian-American Man to Win Olympic Gold, Died at the age of 96.
- Two-time Olympic Gold Medal Winning Diver, Sammy Lee died of pneumonia on December 2, 2016 in Newport Beach.
- He was the first Asian-American to win an Olympic gold medal for America.
- Lee became the first man to win consecutive Olympic titles in diving in 1948 and 1952 and was the oldest diver at age 32 to win Olympic gold.
- He also earned a bronze in 3-meter springboard at the 1948 Games.
- He was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 1968 and U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame in 1990.
December 2016 Current Affairs – Current Affairs Updates
British and Indian Navy Bilateral Naval Exercise ‘KONKAN-2016’ begins at Mumbai.
- The 12 day annual bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and the Royal Navy KONKAN 16 began on December 5, 2016 at Mumbai.
- The exercise will be conducted in two phases at Mumbai and Goa.
- Phase 1 will be from 05 – 09 Dec 16 at Mumbai, which involves Command Planning exercise.
- Phase 2 will be held from 12 – 16 Dec 16 at Goa. It is a LIVE EXERCISE (LIVEX),which involves interaction between the Indian Marine Commandos (MARCOs) and the Royal Marines.
- This excercise will provide valuable opportunity for both navies to interact and cooperate in the field of Maritime Security Operations.
Amar Abrol is the Managing Director of AirAsia India.
- Amar Abrol was appointed as the Managing Director of Chennai based AirAsia India during the company’s board meeting held on 29 November 2016.
- Abrol was appointed as CEO of the airline in April 2016.
Alexander Van Der Bellen was Sworn in as the new Austrian president.
- Ex-leader of the Greens, Alexander Van Der Bellen has won the Austrian presidential election, gaining 7.6 percent of votes more than his opponent Norbert Hofer.
- A total of 2,472,892 people (53.8 percent) voted for Van der Bellen, while 2,124,661 people (46.2 percent) voted for Hofer.
- When sworn in, Van der Bellen will become the first nationally elected European head of state with a green background. Van der Bellen will be sworn in as the president on 26 January 2017.
- Alexander Van der Bellen is an Austrian politician and economist. In May 2004, Van der Bellen received the Grand Decoration of Honour in Gold with Star for services to the Austrian republic.
Tamil Nadu CM and AIADMK Supremo J. Jayalalithaa Passed Away at 68.
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and All-India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) Supremo J Jayalalithaa passed away in Chennai on December 5, 2016 at 11:30 pm following cardiac arrest . She was 68.
- Jayalalitha was born on 24 February 1948 at Melukote, Pandavapura taluka, Mandya district in Karnataka to Jayaram and Vedavalli in a Tamil Brahmin (Iyengar) family.
- She was a leading actress before her entry into politics and had entered into film industry when she was 16 years old.
- She served as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for six times: 1991 to 1996, in 2001, from 2002 to 2006, from 2011 to 2014, 2015 to 2016 and May 2016 to December 2016 (sixth time).
Current Affairs December 2016 – Latest Current Events Updates
Bernard Cazeneuve was appointed as the New Prime Minister of France.
- The French president, François Hollande, has named Bernard Cazeneuve as the new prime minister of France until the presidential election May next year.
- Cazeneuve was the interior minister,he will replace Manuel Valls.
- Bruno Le Roux, 51, president of the socialist group was named as the interior ministry replacing Cazeneuve.
- Cazeneuve, 53, was appointed as the interior ministry – the French equivalent of the Home Office – in 2014.
- Bernard Cazeneuve is a lawyer by training, has been an MP since 1997. He was mayor of Cherbourg between 2001 and 2012.
Actor, Journalist, Political Analyst Cho Ramaswamy passed away.
- Journalist, political analyst and comedian Cho Ramaswamy passed away on December 7, 2016 in Chennai at the age of 82.
- Ramaswamy was a former BJP Rajya Sabha member. He was the founder and editor of the political magazine Thuglak.
- He has also acted in several stage shows and also directed several movies and he was also a screen play writer.
Famous Astronaut John Glenn Died at the age of 95.
- American astronaut John Glenn, who became the first American to orbit the Earth, passed away on December 8, 2016 at the age of 95.
- Glenn was hospitalized at the James Cancer Center at Ohio State University.
- Glenn served as a fighter pilot in World War II and the Korean War before becoming an astronaut.
- After 36 years he returned to flight in 1998 at the age of 77, to orbit around Space Shuttle Discovery and became the oldest person to fly in the space.
Cyrus Mistry removed as Director of Tata Industries.
- Cyrus Mistry was removed as director of Tata Industries during the general body meeting of Tata Industries on December 12, 2016.
- The decision was made by shareholders of Tata Industries.
- Tata Industries board members include K R S Jamwal, R Bhinge, Ireena Vittal, Ashish Dhawan, N Srinath, and F N Subedar.
Latest News and Events – Current Affairs December 2016
Cristiano Ronaldo won the Ballon d’Or 2016.
- Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid, beat rival Lionel Messi to win the prestigious Ballon d’Or award for the fourth time.
- Ronaldo won the award in 2008 as well as in 2013 and 2014.
- The Ballon d’Or is voted for by 173 journalists from around the world.
- It is awarded by France Football every year since 1956, but for the past six years it became the Fifa Ballon d’Or in association with world football’s governing body.
India’s Pankaj Advani beats Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist to win his 11th World Billiards Championship.
- Indian snooker player Pankaj Advani won the IBSF World Billiards Championship in Bengaluru on December 12, 2016.
- Advani beat multiple world champion, Peter Gilchrist of Singapore by 6-3 in the final match to claim his 11th World Billiards Championship and 16th overall world title.
- Pankaj Advani defeated Myanmar’s Aung Htay in the semi-finals to enter into the final game with Peter Gilchrist.
Rio de Janeiro Gets UNESCO World Heritage Site Status.
- The Marvelous City or Rio de Janeiro officially entered into the UN’s list of world heritage sites.
- UNESCO status was announced in 2012 in recognition of its soaring granite cliffs, urban rainforest and beaches.
- The UN cultural body, UNESCO given this status to Rio to highlighted the “extraordinary fusion” of man-made and natural beauty.
About Rio de Janeiro:
- Rio de Janeiro is a huge seaside city in Brazil.
- It hosts the 2016 Rio Olympics
Supreme Court Bans Liquor Shops on National & State Highways.
- The Supreme Court on December 15, 2016, passed an order to ban all liquor shops on national as well as state highways across the country as a measure to control the road mishaps.
- A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice T. S. Thakur and comprising of Justices D.Y. Chandrachud and L. Nageswara Raodirected that the licenses of exsisting liquor shops across the highways will not be renewed after March 31, 2017.
- The bench also directed that all signages indicating presence of liquor vendors will also be prohibited on national and state highways.
- The apex court’s order was passed after a petition was filed by an NGO called ‘Arrive Safe’ for public interest.
Current Affairs December 2016 – Latest Current Updates
Karnataka CM inaugurates the first air ambulance service in Bengaluru.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah formally launched the state’s first air ambulance H130 helicopters at HAL Airport in Bengaluru on December 16, 2016.
- The air ambulance service will start its operation from January 2017.The emergency number of air ambulance service is 155350.
- H130 helicopters are medically configured with emergency medical services, advanced life support medical equipment and a stretcher.It will have a doctor and a paramedic.
Cost of the Service:
♦ Individual subscription – Rs 9,000 per Year
♦ Family subscription – Rs 18,000 per Year
♦ Individuals without subscription – Rs 1.75 lakh per hour.
NALCO and NTPC Signed MoU to set up a Power Plant in Odisha.
- National Aluminium Company Limited (Nalco) and NTPC Limited signed an MoU in New Delhi on December 16, 2017, to set up a 2400 MW (8×300 MW)power plant at Gajmara in Dhenkanal district, Odisha.
- The pact was inked in the presence of Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Power Minister Piyush Goyal.
- The coal based power project would fulfill the power requirement of NALCO for the brownfield expansion of its 5 lakh tonne aluminium smelter at Angul at an investment of Rs 10,000 crore and development of a greenfield-smelter of 6 lakh tonne at Kamakhyanagar in Dhenkanal, Odisha costing Rs 12,000 crore.
- The less-developed region of Odisha would experience industrial growth after establishment of this power plant.
♦ NTPC Limited is an Indian PSU Public Sector Undertaking, a Maharatna Company, engaged in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities.
♦ Founded: 1975
♦ Headquarters: New Delhi, India
♦ CEO: Gurdeep Singh
- National Aluminium Company Limited, abbreviated as NALCO, is a mining company having units in Odisha at places like Angul and Damanjodi.
- It was incorporated as a public sector enterprise of the Ministry of Mines, Government of India in 1981.
A R Rahman was Nominated for Double Oscar for Sports Biopic on Pele.
- Academy award winning musician A R Rahman has been nominated for the 89th Academy Awards for his work on sports biopic “Pele: Birth of a Legend”.
- Rahman’s name has been listed among 145 original scores list, as the music composer for the biographical film of Brazilian footballer Pele, directed by Jeff Zimbalist and Michael Zimbalist.
- Similarly, the song “Ginga” which Rahman composed to celebrate Pele’s soccer legacy, is one of the songs among the list of 91 songs, competing for nominations in the Original Song category.
- Earlier in 2009, Rahman bagged double Oscar at 81st Academy awards under Best Original Score and Original Song category for the song Jai Ho of the film Slumdog Millionaire directed by Danny Boyle.
Scientists discovered a new heat resistant material.
- Scientists from Imperial College London, UK have identified materials that can withstand temperatures of nearly 4,000 degrees Celsius.
- The two materials, Tantalum carbide (TaC) and Hafnium carbide (HfC) are refractory ceramics, which are extraordinarily resistant to heat.
- Their ability to withstand extremely harsh environments means that refractory ceramics could be used in thermal protection systems on high-speed vehicles and as fuel cladding in the super-heated environments of nuclear reactors.
- The findings may find the way for the next generation of hypersonic vehicles, meaning spacecraft could become faster than ever. These materials may enable spacecraft to withstand the extreme heat generated from leaving and re-entering the atmosphere.
December 2016 Current Affairs – Daily Current Affairs
PM Narendra Modi launched the UPI based mobile payment app “BHIM”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the UPI based mobile payment application called BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money).
- BHIM – a rebranded version of UPI (Unified Payment Interface) and USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data), at the Digi Dhan Mela event in Talkatora stadium in New Delhi.
- The app can be downloaded from Android app store. It can be used on a smart phone or feature phone of Rs 1,000-1,200 without Internet connectivity.
Features of the App:
- People should register their bank account with BHIM, and set a UPI PIN for the bank account. Their mobile number is payment address (PA).
- Money can also be sent to non UPI supported banks using IFSC and MMID.
- We can check your bank balance and transactions details on the go and create a custom payment address in addition to your phone number.
- We can scan a QR code for faster entry of payment addresses.
- Maximum of Rs. 10,000 per transaction and Rs. 20,000 within 24 hours is allowed under this app and it supports Hindi and English and more languages will be added soon.
(December 2016 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of Dec 1st to 31st)
Candidates read the latest updates of Current Affairs December 2016 from the above article. Make use of the December 2016 Current Affairs which will help you to gain more General Knowledge. In December 2016 Current Affairs we are providing with important National International and other News happening around the world. 2016 December Current Affairs will contain all the information that you are looking for. Reading the December Current Affairs 2016 will be helpful in getting more marks in all competitive exams like UPSC, IBPS, SSC and other railway exams.