Daily Current Affairs Feb 17
|This Day in History|
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Feb 17
Siddaramaiah welcomes Supreme Court water-sharing verdict.
- CM Siddaramaiah welcomed the Supreme Court’s decision on apportioning the Cauvery waters between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- It was indicative of the fact that the apex court may have capped a long-festering problem, at least in this political cycle.
- Tamil Nadu is bound to witness political upmanship over the Cauvery award as the opposition DMK would seek to corner the tottering, post-Jayalalithaa AIADMK government.
Election campaign ends in Tripura, voting to be held on February 18.
- The high-decibel campaign on Friday ended in Tripura with stalwarts like Prime Minister Narendra Modi and party chief Amit Shah leading the charge.
- The BJP has never been a major player in Tripura which hitherto saw a battle between Left Front and the Congress.
- But the Congress campaign has not been aggressive this time with party chief Rahul Gandhi addressing poll rallies only on the last day.
- The BJP had bagged just 5.70% votes in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and 1.5% votes in the 2013 Assembly polls.
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik rules out BJD alliance with BJP.
- Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik dismissed speculations of the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) striking an alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- The meeting between Patnaik and PM Narendra Modi in Delhi had triggered speculations that the two leaders might have discussed on a possible alliance ahead of the 2019 polls.
- During my visit to Delhi, I met the Prime Minister and presented a copy of the book ‘The Tall Man Biju Patnaik.
Kashmir to host major national tourism convention after 30 years.
- Kashmir will host next month a major national tourism convention which was earlier planned to be held in China.
- The 64th convention of the Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) will be held in summer capital Srinagar after three decades.
- Kashmir has held the convention seven times before, the last in 1988, just a year before militancy erupted in the state.
Central schemes get the boost in UP budget.
- The Uttar Pradesh government allocated substantial funds for central projects in its annual Budget presented in the Assembly on Friday.
- The total budgetary allocation is around Rs 4.28 lakh crore — 11.4 percent increase from last fiscal.
- Central schemes like Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna (Rural) will receive Rs 11,500 crore as against just Rs 200 crore for the Mukhyamantri Awas Yojna.
- Finance Minister Rajesh Agarwal, in his Budget speech, did not explicitly state any provision for further farmer loan waiver scheme.
No reservation charts on trains from March 1.
- The railway ministry has directed its zones to discontinue pasting reservation charts on reserved coaches of all trains at A1, A and B category stations as a pilot project for six months from March 1.
- However, physical and digital display of charts will continue at the platforms, the ministry statement said.
- Earlier, pasting of reservation charts on reserved coaches of all trains was discontinued at New Delhi, Hazrat Nizamuddin.
Latest International Current Affairs Feb 17 Updates from around the globe.
Lanka PM skips India visit to face the political crisis at home.
- Beleaguered Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe today said he has cancelled a planned visit to India due to the ongoing political crisis.
- He had been expected to attend an information technology meeting in New Delhi, his officials said.
- The Sri Lankan premier is currently battling calls for his sacking following the defeat of his United National Party.
Japanese, US astronauts on the spacewalk to fix robotic arm.
- A Japanese and an American astronaut floated outside the International Space Station on Friday.
- The spacewalk is the first for Japanese Aerospace Agency (JAXA) astronaut Norishige Kanai and the fourth for his US counterpart Mark Vande Hei.
- The Tokyo-born lieutenant in the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force became an astronaut in 2009.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Feb 17 updates by reading the news.
Apple grabs 51% of global smartphone revenues in Q4 2017.
- With a record 51% revenue share, Apple took more than half of the global smartphone revenues in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, total global smartphone wholesale revenues grew 8% annually to reach an all-time high of $120 billion during the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Sui added that South Korean tech giant Samsung grew its global smartphone wholesale revenues by 16% annually to $19 billion in the fourth quarter of 2017.
Amazon to pay $1.2 million in the settlement over pesticide sales.
- Amazon.com Inc will pay a $1.2 million penalty to settle nearly 4,000 alleged violations of U.S. law in a move to prevent harmful exposure to pesticides.
- The Amazon agreed to closely monitor and remove illegal pesticide products from its website.
- Amazon said third-party sellers had sold the products through its website.
Science and Technology Events
Chandrayaan-2 launch in April, to aim for moon’s south pole.
- India’s second lunar mission has been postponed until April, Jitendra Singh, who heads the Department of Space, said. It was earlier scheduled for March.
- The mission, which would cost about ~800 crores, will be the first time India will attempt to land a rover on the moon’s south pole.
- India is going to launch Chandrayaan-2 in April. It is under Chandrayaan-1 mission that the Isro spotted water on the moon.
Current Affairs Feb 17 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Roger Federer becomes oldest tennis world number one with the win in Rotterdam.
- Roger Federer added yet another record to his vast collection when he guaranteed to become the oldest ATP world number one by beating Dutchman Robin.
- Federer defeated Robin Haase in Rotterdam to become the oldest ever world number 1 in tennis history.
- Federer took a wildcard into the ABN AMRO World Tennis event with his eyes fixed on a return to number one for the first time since November 2012.
Virat Kohli first batsman ever to score 500 runs in bilateral ODI series.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli is the first batsman ever to score 500 runs in a bilateral ODI series.
- Kohli achieved the feat during the sixth and final ODI of the series against South Africa.
- Kohli went on to score his 35th ODI hundred, his third of the series and also the first by an Indian batsman in a bilateral series.
Afghanistan’s Mujeeb Zadran becomes youngest ever to take a five-for in ODIs.
- Teenage Afghan spin sensation Mujeeb Zadran scripted history on Friday by becoming the youngest ever player to take a five-wicket haul in ODIs.
- At 16 years and 325 days, Zadran broke Pakistan legend Waqar Younis’ record who took his first five-for at the age of 18 years and 164 days.
- He also fetched a hefty pay-check of Rs 4 crore from Kings XI Punjab at the IPL auction last month.
Martin Guptill becomes all-time leading run-getter in T20I history.
- New Zealand opener Martin Guptill on Friday rewrote T20I history en route a record-breaking century against Australia at Eden Park.
- He scored a century off 49 deliveries, one less than the previous Kiwi record held by former captain Brendon McCullum.
- And not only that, he also overtook McCullum as the leading run-getter in T20I history.
Australia set T20 run chase record to beat New Zealand.
- D’Arcy Short anchored a high-powered Australian batting order to produce the highest successful run chase in Twenty20 international cricket.
- Australia beat New Zealand by five wickets in their tri-series clash at Eden Park on Friday.
- The run chase eclipsed the 236 for six West Indies achieved in beating South Africa in Johannesburg in 2015.
Links Related to Current Affairs Feb 17:
|Current Affairs | 16-Feb-2018||Current Affairs | 15-Feb-2018|
|Feb 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF Jan 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs Feb 17 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs Feb 17.