Daily Current Affairs Feb 19
|This Day in History|
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Feb 19
PM Modi opens ‘biggest party office in the world’.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the BJP’s new headquarters on Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg.
- The office spread over 1.70 lakh square feet was opened in the presence of party chief Amit Shah, former BJP chiefs, several Union ministers and office-bearers.
- Former party chiefs L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Rajnath Singh and Nitin Gadkari besides Union minister Sushma Swaraj were on the dais at the event.
PM Modi opens Rs 7,900 crore 4th terminal at JNPT.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday dedicated the first phase of the Rs 7,900-crore 4th terminal project of the JNPT to the nation.
- It will raise the cargo handling capacity of the nation’s largest container port by 50 percent.
- The fourth terminal project seeks to double JNPT’s capacity to nearly 10 million standard container units and will make it the 33rd biggest port globally.
Maharashtra to become India’s first trillion-dollar economy, says Narendra Modi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Maharashtra is on course to become the country’s first trillion-dollar economy.
- He said the state will play a major role in fueling India’s dream of becoming a five-trillion dollar economy in the next few years.
- He says many international agencies have anticipated that India will soon achieve the prestigious mark of a robust economy.
- Anand Mahindra, chairman of the Mahindra group announced an investment of Rs 1700 crore for the development of an entertainment tourism hub at Kandivali.
- Chief minister Fadnavis also announced a five-point agenda to turn Maharashtra in a state with a trillion dollar economy by 2025.
More than 40 Indian languages may be heading for extinction says, officials.
- More than 40 languages or dialects in India are considered to be endangered and is believed to be heading towards extinction.
- According to a report of the census directorate, there are 22 scheduled languages and 100 non-scheduled languages in the country.
- However, there are around 42 languages which are spoken by less than 10,000 people.
- A list prepared by UNESCO has also mentioned about the 42 languages or dialects in India which are endangered and they may be heading towards extinction.
Maharashtra government to launch cheap sanitary pad scheme on March 8.
- The Maharashtra government is all set to roll out its “Asmita Yojana” on the International Women’s Day next month.
- Under the scheme, girls in Zilla Parishad schools will get a sanitary napkin packet at Rs 5 while rural women can avail it at a subsidised rate of Rs 24 and Rs 29.
- The scheme, catering to girl students and women in rural areas, will be formally launched on March 8.
- The Asmita Yojana was announced last year by Women and Child and Rural Development Minister Pankaja Munde.
Air Odisha takes wings, launches maiden flight in Gujarat under Udan.
- Air Odisha launched its maiden services under scheme Udan with Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani inaugurating the first flight to Mundra.
- The Bhubaneswar-based carrier, mandated to fly on 50 regional routes, had received its scheduled commuter operator (SCO) permit from the aviation regulator DGCA.
- Besides Mundra, the carrier also rolled out services on the Ahmedabad-Jamnagar route.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has agreed to inaugurate the Diu flight on February 25, he said.
Latest International Current Affairs Feb 19 Updates from around the globe.
Israel strikes six Hamas military targets in Gaza.
- The Israeli Air Force (IAF) fighter jets targeted a total of six military targets in the Gaza Strip.
- These specific military targets belonging to the Hamas organization were attacked.
- The IDF statements said a number of terror sites were targeted in the large-scale attack.
Saudi women can now start their own business without male permission.
- Women in Saudi Arabia can now open their own businesses without the consent of a husband or male relative.
- The policy change, announced by the Saudi government also marks a major step away from the strict guardianship system that has ruled the country for decades.
- The ministry of commerce and investment said women can now launch their own businesses and benefit from e-services without having to prove consent from a guardian.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Feb 19 updates by reading the news.
Google’s new technology to help 911 operators accurately locate callers.
- Google has conducted a trial of a new technology that will help 911 operators figure out the location of cellphone callers more accurately.
- The test included tens of thousands of 911 calls over the span of two months in several states in the US.
- The 911 system, which turns 50 this month, has often struggled to locate cell phone callers.
Twitter ends support for its official Mac app.
- Twitter has announced it is ending support for its dedicated desktop Mac application and that it has pulled it from the web and from Apple’s App Store.
- Support for Twitter for Mac will also end in 30 days, the micro-blogging site added.
- This means that users will have to use the website or services such as Tweetdeck or third-party apps.
Fairfax to acquire 51% in Catholic Syrian Bank.
- Prem Watsa-owned Fairfax Holdings Ltd will buy 51% stake in Catholic Syrian Bank, the Kerala-based lender said in a statement.
- The deal, which sets the stage for the first-ever takeover of a bank by a foreign institution, has been valued at Rs 140 a share.
- A price of Rs 140 a share is lower than what the bank had initially expected.
Iran to lease part of Chabahar port to India for 18 months.
- India and Iran signed a clutch of agreements with Tehran agreeing to lease to New Delhi operational control of a part of the Chabahar port for 18 months.
- The port is a vital part of New Delhi’s plans to connect with Afghanistan and Central Asian countries as it creates a strategic trade route, bypassing Pakistan.
- The two countries also called for “an immediate end to all support and sanctuaries enjoyed by terrorist groups and individuals.
Current Affairs Feb 19 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Soumya B sets new record in the 20km race walk.
- Delhi-based Soumya B upset the fancied Khushbir Kaur to win the women’s 20km at the National Race Walking Championship.
- She also improved Khushbir’s four-year-old national record of 1:31:40 seconds by clocking 1:31.28.72 secs.
- The timing was well within the Commonwealth Games (CWG) qualification mark of one hour 35 minutes. Karamjit Kaur of Haryana finished third.
Napoli set a club record with a win against SPAL.
- Napoli set a new club record for consecutive league wins in a single season as they stayed top of Serie A.
- Regardless, a ninth successive victory in Serie A sets a new club record for Napoli.
- Napoli’s average points per game this season now stands at 2.64, with only the Premier League’s runaway leaders Manchester City able to better that figure in Europe.
Christian Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record.
- Rising US star Christian Coleman set a new world indoor record for the 60m.
- The 21-year-old exploded out of the blocks with a 0.149 reaction time to cross ahead of Ronnie Baker, who was second in 6.40.
- Coleman’s time shaved 0.05sec off the existing world indoor record set by Maurice Greene in Madrid in 1998.
India’s Sakina Khatun wins silver in Para Powerlifting World Cup.
- India’s Sakina Khatun made the country proud by winning a silver in the Para Powerlifting World Cup in Dubai.
- She had threatened to commit suicide over her non-inclusion in the 2018 Commonwealth Games squad.
- The 28-year-old, who is the only Indian para-athlete to clinch a medal at the Commonwealth Games.
New World No.1 Federer wins Rotterdam for the 97th title.
- Roger Federer celebrated his return to the top of the world rankings by winning the Rotterdam Open on Sunday, his 97th career title.
- The 36-year-old, the oldest No.1 in history, thrashed Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 6-2, 6-2 in a one-sided final.
- Federer, the record 20-time Grand Slam winner, will reclaim the number one ranking he last held in October 2012.
- He is three years older than American Andre Agassi was when previously holding the record for oldest No.1 back in 2003.
Legendary climber Jim Bridwell dies at 73.
- Jim Bridwell, a hard-partying hippie and legendary climber have died.
- He made some 100 first ascents in the California park and on peaks in Alaska and the Andes.
- In 1975, Bridwell, John Long and Billy Westbay became the first climbers to ascend a route called The Nose on Yosemite’s 3,000-foot El Capitan in a single day.
Links Related to Current Affairs Feb 19:
|Current Affairs | 18-Feb-2018||Current Affairs | 17-Feb-2018|
|Feb 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF Jan 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs Feb 19 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs Feb 19.