Current Affairs Jan 11 2018
Have a complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 11.
Maharashtra govt to create quota for orphans aspiring to take competitive exams.
- The Maharashtra state government is planning to provide a special category reservation for orphans taking competitive exams.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis made the announcement at Raj Bhawan on Wednesday.
- In the current system, there is no option to categorize orphan children who are not aware of their parents’ caste or religion.
- Fadnavis said there are many welfare schemes to assist orphans, but the issue before the state is giving an identity to them. So, the government will bring a draft Bill soon.
Women BSF bikers to debut on Republic Day Parade.
- The all-woman bikers contingent of the Border Security Force (BSF) will make its debut on Rajpath on Republic Day Parade.
- The 27-member BSF women ‘daredevils’ team will showcase their stunts and acrobatics skills on their 350 cc Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycles.
- In 2015, women contingents of the Army, Navy and Air Force had debuted in the parade.
- BSF and the Army’s bike-borne ‘daredevils’ perform alternatively every year by ending the parade by riding their roaring bikes.
- ‘Seema Bhavani‘, as the squad members are named have been chosen by BSF trainers and are aged between 25-30 years.
- Former US President Barack Obama, while officiating as the chief guest of the 2015 parade, signalled a thumbs up to the bikers from his dais on Rajpath and had later called their stunts “impressive”.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 11 Updates from around the globe.
Counter-terrorism, security and trade to be the top agenda at India-ASEAN Summit.
- India-ASEAN Summit that will see participation of leaders of all the ten ASEAN countries.
- All the leaders will also be the chief guests at the Republic Day parade.
- Counter-terrorism, security and trade are expected to top the agenda at the summit.
- This year will mark the 25 years of Indo-ASEAN ties. India will present itself as a powerful ally to these countries in the strategic areas of trade and connectivity.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj visited three ASEAN countries — Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore last week.
- The leaders will start arriving from January 24. There will be a leaders’ retreat during which the leaders will have a “free and frank” discussion on January 25.
- Leaders from Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar (Burma), Cambodia, Laos and Brunei will attend the summit.
Two Indian-origin MPs get promoted in Theresa May’s government reshuffle.
- Two 37-year-old British Indian MPs have been appointed to junior ministerial positions in Theresa May’s government reshuffle.
- Suella Fernandes and Rishi Sunak were both elected in 2015.
- Ex-barrister Fernandes has been made parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU).
- She was previously the parliamentary private secretary to HM treasury ministers.
- Hedge fund millionaire, Sunak, the son-in-law of Infosys co-founder and billionaire N R Narayana Murthy, has been appointed as parliamentary under-secretary of state at the new ministry of housing.
- Fernandes’s parents immigrated to Britain in the 1960s from Kenya and Mauritius. She grew up in Wembley and studied law at Cambridge.
- She was head of the European Research Group (ERG), a group of Conservative MPs which supports Brexit and campaigned for the UK to leave the EU.
- Sunak was previously a parliamentary private secretary in the department for business, energy and industrial strategy.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 11 updates by reading the news.
Rewa Solar to get Rs. 2,800 crore funding from International Finance Corporation.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) — the World Bank’s private investment arm will invest $440 million in the 750 MW Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Park in Madhya Pradesh.
- IFC investment will be in the form of debt to three companies that are setting up the units, each of 250 MW — Mahindra Renewables, Acme, and Actis.
- The deal for a $140 million (around Rs 900 crore) funding with Actis has been signed, while the one with Acme for $150 million is due to be signed soon.
- Third deal with Mahindra, for $150 million is awaiting final approval.
- The solar park is being developed by Rewa Ultra Mega Solar, a joint venture between Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam and the Solar Energy Corporation of India.
KKR-backed Emerald Media buys Ketan Mehta’s animation studio.
- Private equity giant KKR-backed Emerald Media has acquired controlling shares in Cosmos-Maya, founded by filmmakers Ketan Mehta and Deepa Sahi.
- Cosmos-Maya, creators of the popular Motu Patlu animation series, has nine ongoing shows with multiple Indian television networks.
- They also own a digital channel WowKidz with three million active subscribers.
- Ketan Mehta and Deepa Sahi would remain as shareholders with the former steering operations as MD.
- Cosmos-Maya has ongoing productions with Viacom18, Disney Networks, Turner International, Sony Pictures Network, Discovery Networks, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and ALT Balaji.
Central Govt raised Rs 1,200 crore from the sale of 2.5% stake in NMDC.
- The union government on Wednesday divested 2.5% in National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC).
- Out of the Rs 1,200 crore it raised, Rs 980 crore is from non-retail investors and Rs 232 from retail investors through the offer for-sale mechanism.
- To encourage retail participation, a discount of 5% on the cut-off price was offered to retail investors.
- NMDC was incorporated in 1958 as a government owned public enterprise and is under the control of the steel ministry.
- It explores iron ore, copper, rock phosphate, lime stone, dolomite, gypsum, bentonite, magnesite, diamond, tin, tungsten, graphite, beach sands.
- It is the country’s single largest iron ore producer, producing about 30 million tonnes of iron ore from 3 mechanised mines.
Appointment and Resignations Updates
Appointment news with complete details on Jan 11 Current Affairs
Former minister Dr Rajeev Bindal was elected as the Speaker of the Himachal Pradesh Assembly.
- Former minister and five-time MLA, Dr Rajeev Bindal was elected as the Speaker of the Himachal Pradesh Assembly.
- The House unanimously adopted a proposal to this effect moved by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur.
- The Opposition led by Mukesh Agnihotri and former CM Virbhadra Singh also endorsed Dr. Bindal.
- Dr Bindal has been a member of the House for the past 17 years since 2000, when he got elected from Solan.
- He was again re-elected from Nahan in 2017 for the second time.
Renowned scientist Sivan K was appointed as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation.
- Union Government appointed scientist as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- He will replace current chairman A S Kiran Kumar.
- Sivan, at present is the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, he will succeed Kiran Kumar, who was appointed on January 12, 2015.
- He graduated from Madras Institute of Technology in aeronautical engineering in 1980 and completed Master of Engineering in Aerospace engineering from IISc, Bangalore in 1982.
- Subsequently, he completed his PhD in Aerospace engineering from IIT, Bombay in 2006.
- Numerous awards such as Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) from Sathyabama University, Chennai in April 2014 and Shri Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr Vikram Sarabhai Research award for 1999 have been awarded to him.
Current Affairs Jan 11 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Kerala Blasters defeat Delhi Dynamos 3-1.
- Canadian striker Iain Hume struck a hat-trick as Kerala Blasters beat Delhi Dynamos 3-1 in the Indian Super League.
- Hume scored in the 12th, 78th and 83rd minute respectively for Kerala.
- Kerala elevated themselves to the sixth position while Dynamos remain at the bottom of the list after their seventh defeat.
- The only goal for Dynamos was scored by Pritam Kotal.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 11:
|Current Affairs | 10-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 09-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.