Current Affairs Jan 14 2018
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 14.
Maharashtra power transmission company to purchase 1000 MW solar power.
- Mahavitaran, the power transmission company of Maharashtra state government, is planning to purchase 1000 MW solar power this year.
- Bids to purchase 1000 MW solar power have been invited at Rs 3 per unit.
- As compared to solar power, thermal power is sold at Rs 5 per unit, he said.
- This year, the government is planning to boost solar power generation.
- Rajasthan, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh are ahead of Maharashtra in generation of solar power.
- At present, the solar power generation in Maharashtra is only 1,000 MW out of which 300 MW is produced by MahaGenco (Maharashtra State Electricity Board Co Limited).
- Under the Chief Minister’s Solar Agri Feeder programme, solar power pumps with the capacity of 7000 MW will be set up for the agriculture purpose.
- Water conservation department has set the target of 1000 MW solar energy from the Ujni dam.
Teen Murti Chowk in Delhi, renamed after Israeli city Haifa.
- Teen Murti Chowk in New Delhi has been renamed as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu attended a ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial in Delhi to mark the renaming.
- The two leaders also laid a wreath and signed the visitor’s book at the memorial.
Two new Metro corridors to start operations in Kolkata.
- Garia Airport Metro corridor between Kavi Subhash and Ruby Hospital, and the East-West Metro corridor between Salt Lake’s Sector V and Phoolbagan, are likely to start operations this year.
- The first phase of the East-West corridor is expected to be completed in mid-2018, the New Garia Airport Metro is slated to start by the end of the year.
- Once the tunnel-boring machines reach Esplanade, the first phase will be commence operations.
- This route is expected to be ready by 2019.
- These coaches will be operating without a motorman. The coaches will be 2.88 mts wide with a total seating capacity of 268 and standing capacity of 1,782.
- Trains on this stretch will have a frequency of 2.5 minutes during peak hours.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 14 Updates from around the globe.
Indian Peacekeepers rebuild bridge in South Sudan.
- Indian peacekeepers from the UN mission have re-built a key bridge in record time in the strife-torn country.
- The bridge in Akoka village in the northern part of the land-locked country in East-Central Africa had been inoperable since last June when heavy rains washed away a 300-meter-long road segment.
- UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in collaboration with the government, built the bridge in a record 10 days.
- The project has benefited humanitarians, enabling faster aid delivery as well as security patrol and outreach activities by the Mission, according to a UN statement.
- Nishkam Puri, in-charge of the Indian engineering company said that the project was vital to allow other critical road repairs in the region.
- Akoka Bridge lies between provincial capital Malakal and oil-rich Melut town on a major service road that also reaches Bunj and Renk, both in the country’s northeastern part.
- United Nations Peacekeeping, began in 1948, was primarily limited to maintaining ceasefires and stabilising situations on the ground, providing crucial support for political efforts to resolve the conflict by peaceful means.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 14 updates by reading the news.
Morgan Stanley values Zomato at $2.5 billion.
- Wall Street giant Morgan Stanley‘s research unit has valued Zomato at $2.5 billion.
- This is almost three times its valuation from its last funding round.
- The coverage on Zomato by the international brokerage firm was done while taking stock of the startup’s publicly traded shareholder InfoEdge, which runs portals like Naukri.com and 99acres.com.
- Zomato is in talks with Alibaba’s affiliate Ant Financial to raise around $150 million in new financing, which is expected to value the food discovery and delivery platform at a billion dollars.
- New players like UberEats and now Ola, with its Foodpanda acquisition, have entered the online food delivery space.
- Ola has committed to invest additional $200 million in the food delivery business.
- Swiggy is expected to close a $100 million funding round led by its existing investor South Africa’s internet and media major Naspers.
- The share of deliveries by Zomato’s own fleet is expected to rise to 20 per cent during the same period from 7 per cent a year ago.
- The report estimated a revenue of $25 million from the overall food delivery business in financial year 2018.
India ranked 30th on WEF global manufacturing index.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) on Sunday released its Global Manufacturing Index putting India on the 30th position.
- Japan topped the rankings while, five places below China and is followed by South Korea, Germany, Switzerland, China, Czech Republic, the US, Sweden, Austria and Ireland in the top 10.
- India has a total manufacturing value of over $420 billion in 2016.
- The report said that the country’s manufacturing sector has grown by over 7 per cent per year on average in the past three decades and accounts for 16-20 per cent of India’s GDP.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative to open India into a manufacturing hub.
- India has been placed in the Legacy group alongside Hungary, Mexico, Philippines, Russia, Thailand and Turkey, among others.
- China is on the list of Leading countries.
- Government Looking At Ways To Promote Indigenous Solar Equipment Manufacturing
Appointments and Resignations
Check out important appointments and resignations from around the world for Current Affairs Jan 14.
Indian-origin businessman Sunny Verghese has been appointed as the Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- Singapore-based Indian-origin businessman Sunny Verghese has been appointed as the Chairman of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- Verghese, 57, is the Co-Founder and CEO of Singapore‘s agri-business group Olam International Limited.
- He is the first World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Chairman from the agri-sector.
- He succeeded Paul Polman, the CEO of Unilever, on January 1 and will serve a two-year term.
- WBCSD is a network of more than 200 CEOs who are responsible for a combined revenue of more than $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees.
- In leading a global agri business operating across 70 markets.
Find out all the important people who breathed heir last in Current Affairs Jan 14.
Former Union minister Raghunath Jha has passed away.
- Former Union minister Raghunath Jha passed away at a Delhi’s Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday night.
- He was 78 years old.
- He was with several different political parties, including the Socialist Party, Congress, Rashtriya Janata Dal, and Samajwadi Party.
- Also, he was one of the three chief ministerial candidates in Bihar after the 1990 assembly polls.
Current Affairs Jan 14 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Football Delhi and ASSOCHAM signs MoU to develop the sport.
- Football Delhi signed an MoU with ASSOCHAM for the development of the sport in the capital city.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding, emphasis will be given to grass root level participation through jointly-organised events, seminars and forums.
- Industry members and stakeholders in the field of infrastructure development, sports science and medicine will engage themseleves in the initiative.
- ASSOCHAM and Football Delhi will jointly form a task force to periodically review the progress made and take necessary steps.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 14:
|Current Affairs | 13-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 12-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.