Current Affairs Jan 16 2018
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 16.
Shiv Sena, NCP join hands to capture power in Thane Zilla Parishad.
- The Shiv Sena and the NCP have joined hands and captured power at the Thane Zilla Parishad (ZP) keeping the BJP out.
- BJP candidates withdrew their nomination forms at the eleventh-hour paving way for smooth sailing of the Shiv Sena and NCP combine.
- The elections to the 53-member Thane ZP were held last month in which Shiv Sena bagged 26 seats, NCP 10, BJP 16 and 1 seat was won by an independent candidate.
Bihar CM’s fifth phase of ‘Vikas Samiksha Yatra’ to begin today.
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar will begin the fifth phase of his ‘Vikas Samikha Yatra’ from Gaya district’s Tekari block today.
- During his three-day yatra, Nitish would visit four villages- one each in Gaya, Bhagalpur, Purnia and Chhapra districts- and take stock of the ongoing development schemes.
- The CM would also hold a public meeting in the four villages after inaugurating old schemes and laying foundation stones for new schemes worth hundreds of crores.
More National Updates
More National News on Today Current Affairs January 16th, 2017.
Government to launch ‘operation digital board’.
- The Centre and state governments had resolved to launch “operation digital board” and also to initiate a scheme to identify out of school children from September 2018.
- This was informed by the HRD minister Prakash Javadekar at the end of the first day of the 65th Cabinet Advisory Board of Education (CABE) meeting in Delhi.
- Speaking of “operation digital board”, the HRD minister said that it has been 50 to 60 years now since the launch of “operation blackboard.
Indo-US joint military exercise Vajra Prahar to take place in Seattle.
- India and the US, joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ will take place at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle.
- Vajra Prahar is an Indo-US Special Forces joint training exercise conducted alternately in India and the US.
- Though the exercise began in 2010, there was a gap of three years between 2012 and 2015.
- The last edition was held in Jodhpur in March 2017.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 16 Updates from around the globe.
Myanmar says the first camp for Rohingya will be ready next week.
- A top Myanmar official said that a camp to house Rohingya Muslim and Hindu refugees, who return from Bangladesh, will be ready by its promised deadline next week.
- More than 650,000 ethnic Rohingya Muslims fled to Bangladesh since Myanmar’s military launched a brutal crackdown in August.
- Myanmar and Bangladesh signed an agreement in November to repatriate Rohingya and set up a working group last month.
Britain scrambles 2 typhoon jets to intercept Russian planes.
- Britain scrambled two Royal Air Force Typhoon jets from Scotland to intercept Russian planes near the United Kingdom’s airspace.
- The Typhoons were scrambled from RAF Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 16 updates by reading the news.
Air India to be split into four separate companies ahead of the sale.
- India will break up its debt-laden carrier Air India into four separate companies and offer at least 51% in each of them as part of a divestment plan proposed by the government.
- The airline would be divided into core airline business, regional arm, ground handling and engineering operations.
- Last week, India had cleared a proposal to allow foreign investors to own up to 49% in the carrier.
TCS bags Marks & Spencer deal to help become a digital-first business.
- The largest software exporter TCS has expanded its relationship with British retailer Marks & Spencer (M&S) to enable it to become a digital-first business.
- As part of the deal, whose total value is not disclosed, the company will become a principal technology partner for the retailer.
- The retailer’s chief executive Steve Row said M&S and TCS will join forces to make its business “faster, simpler and more focused on achieving the goal.
Micromax to launch India’s first Android Go smartphone this month.
- Domestic handset maker Micromax is set to launch the first smartphone in India with Google’s Android Oreo (Go Edition) on January 26.
- This would make Micromax the first company in India to launch an Android Oreo Go-smartphone.
- Named “BHARAT GO”, the smartphone will be the best-in-class mobility device and an optimized entry-level Android smartphone.
More Business Updates
Check out the today business Current Affairs Jan 16 updates by reading the news.
Alibaba-owned DingTalk enterprise messaging app launched in India.
- Alibaba-owned platform DingTalk unveiled an English version that caters to the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in India.
- The English version of the app, also available in Malaysia, is the first concerted push outside of China since launching three years ago.
- DingTalk will take on Workplace by Facebook, Amazon Chime, Slack, Cisco Spark and Yammer.
Ford plans $11 billion investment, 40 electric vehicles by 2022.
- The Ford Motor Co will significantly increase its planned investments in electric vehicles to $11 billion by 2022 and have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles.
- Ford executives said the investment figure is sharply higher than a previously announced target of $4.5 billion by 2020.
- Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids.
Manchester United great Ryan Giggs takes the appointment as new Wales manager.
- Former Manchester United great Ryan Giggs takes the appointment as the new manager of Wales.
- It will be Giggs’s first permanent managerial post and he succeeds fellow former Wales international Chris Coleman.
- Giggs’ first fixture in charge of Wales will be in the 2018 China Cup against the hosts in Nanning on March 22.
Paul Lambert takes the appointment as Stoke City manager.
- Stoke City appoints Paul Lambert as their new manager after the Scot signed a two-and-half-year contract to replace the sacked Mark Hughes.
- Stoke are third from bottom of the Premier League after taking just 20 points from 22 games.
- Lambert has previously managed Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Current Affairs Jan 16 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
India’s youth women boxers bag three gold and one bronze at Nations Cup.
- India’s youth women pugilists continued their dominating run on the world stage as they clinched three gold and one bronze medal in the 7th Nations Cup.
- In the junior group, India won as many as 13 medals, eight of them gold, three silver and two bronze medals to stamp its authority.
- Hosts Serbia took the third spot, while Kazakhstan finished second.
Khelo India anthem launched by sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore.
- Khelo India School Games 2018, a brainchild of Olympian and sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore, will take place at multiple venues across Delhi from January 31.
- The Khelo India for which the government has earmarked R1,756 crore over the next five years aims to take sports to all parts of the country.
- The plan is to select 1,000 under-17 children each year for the next five years and provide scholarships of R5 lakh each to train them to become potential winners at the international level.
P Gopichand inaugurates Bennett University sports complex.
- National badminton coach and former All England champion Pullela Gopichand inaugurated the newly completed sports facility at the Bennett University.
- Bennett University has been established to provide students, an ivy league quality education in India.
- It also has a swimming pool, gymnasium, indoor games and a multi-purpose arena.
Find out all the important people who breathed heir last in Current Affairs Jan 16.
Zombie singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46.
- Irish singer-songwriter Dolores O’Riordan, frontwoman of the multi-million selling rock band The Cranberries, died suddenly in London on Monday.
- Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar was among the first to pay tributes, calling O’Riordan the voice of a generation.
Ex-Union Minister Raghunath Jha passes away.
- Former Union minister Raghunath Jha passed away at the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital.
- Mr Jha was the Union minister of state for heavy industries and public enterprise in the UPA government, led by former prime minister Manmohan Singh.
- In 2015, he had quit the RJD to join the Samajwadi Party (SP).
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 16:
|Current Affairs | 15-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 14-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.