Current Affairs Jan 17 2018
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 17.
India to buy guns worth Rs 3,547 crore for border troops on the fast-track basis.
- The defence ministry said India will buy more than 160,000 guns worth Rs 3,547 crore for troops on its high-altitude borders on a fast track basis.
- The defence acquisition council cleared the purchase of 72,400 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines in a meeting chaired by defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The procurement is expected to address the shortage of small arms for the armed forces.
PM Modi and Israel PM Netanyahu to visit Vadrad in Prantij.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu during their Gujarat visit will meet at the Centre of Excellence for Vegetables at Vadrad.
- During their visit, PM Modi and Netanyahu will visit an iconic monument, go to the plug nursery and poly house, and interact with the progressive farmers.
- The only centre of its kind in the state is jointly built by National Horticulture Mission Horticulture Department at a cost of Rs.12-crore as a joint enterprise between India and Israel.
More National Updates
More National News on Today Current Affairs January 17th, 2017.
India attends its first Shanghai Cooperation organisation military cooperation meeting.
- India for the first time took part in a meeting of the international military cooperation departments of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) since joining the bloc last year.
- This is the first meeting attended by India in the field of defence cooperation under the SCO framework.
- India and Pakistan were admitted last year into the grouping in which China plays an influential role.
- The SCO is comprised of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
Odisha government appoints new collectors in eight districts.
- Eight districts get new collectors as part of a bureaucrat reshuffle by the state government of Odisha.
- New district collectors takes the appointment in Dhenkanal, Balangir, Koraput, Keonjhar, Gajapati, Malkangiri, Balasore and Nabarangapur.
- With the appointment of new collectors, the ruling party has started preparation for the forthcoming general and assembly elections scheduled in April 2019.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 17 Updates from around the globe.
Uber limits driver hours in Britain to 10.
- US ride-hailing app Uber said it would cap the number of hours its drivers can work in Britain from next week in a bid to increase safety after heavy criticism of its business practices.
- The new policy means that drivers must take an uninterrupted six-hour break after 10 hours, and will not be able to log on to the app during that time.
- The company had already been messaging drivers who were working too long to switch off its app.
The US withholds $65 million from Palestinian aid programs.
- The US donated $355 million to UNWRA in 2016 and was set to make a similar contribution in this year, with the first instalment to have been sent this month.
- In a letter, the State Department notified the UN Relief and Works Agency that the US is withholding $65 million of a planned $125 million funding instalment.
- The US is UNWRA’s largest donor, supplying nearly 30 percent of its budget.
Muhajirs in US launch ‘Free Karachi’ campaign.
- A group of Muhajirs in the US have launched a ‘Free Karachi’ campaign to highlight the alleged state-sponsored atrocities against their community in
the port city of Pakistan.
- There were slogans like we want Karachi free from the control of Islamabad. We want Karachi to be free from atrocities of the security forces.
- The protesters said they would approach Congressmen, policymakers and even President Donald Trump to raise their issue.
- The term ‘Muhajir’ is used to describe the Urdu-speaking immigrants who left India in 1947 and came to Pakistan.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 17 updates by reading the news.
TCS wins $6 billion in contracts in a month.
- For several years under its previous CEO N Chandrasekaran, TCS achieved growth rates of 15%-16% even when it had hit $10 billion in revenues.
- In less than a month, TCS has announced deal wins of nearly $6 billion, including a $690-million contract with Europe’s M&G Prudential.
- TCS appears to have pulled way ahead of rivals Cognizant, Infosys, Wipro, and HCL in the deal win.
RCom to lay $600 million submarine cable to carry data across Europe, Asia.
- Embattled Reliance Communications is laying a 68,000-km undersea cable to carry data across Europe and Asia, to be built at a cost of USD 600 million.
- It is expected to be operational by the third quarter of 2020 and will have a revenue potential of USD 1 billion per year.
- RCom’s chief executive Bill Barney said the new cable will increase its total capacity by ten times as against the current capacity.
More Business Updates
Check out the today business Current Affairs Jan 17 updates by reading the news.
Patanjali to launch textile portfolio comprising clothing line, footwear around Nov.
- Baba Ramdev-promoted Patanjali Group is planning to roll out its textile portfolio in the Indian market by November 2018 around Diwali.
- Ramdev said we have started working on the textile front Patanjali Paridhan on a larger scale. We will launch the products either this year around Diwali.
- Ramdev said the textile portfolio will have around 3,000 products ranging from kidswear to yoga wear and sportswear.
Nestle sells US candy business to Ferrero for $2.8 billion amid health push.
- Swiss food group Nestle has agreed to sell its US confectionery business to Italy’s Ferrero for $2.8 billion.
- Nestle, the world’s biggest packaged-food company, has cited its weak position in the United States, where it trails Hershey, Mars Inc and Lindt, as the rationale for a sale.
- Though Nestle is hanging on to non-US confectionery operations, bankers and analysts have said it might wind down its interest further.
Science and Technology News
Isro releases the first image captured by Cartosat-2 series.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) released the first image captured by Cartosat-2 series satellite, four days after it was placed in orbit by PSLV-C40.
- The satellite is seventh in the remote sensing Cartosat series.
- Isro released an image of a part of Indore with Holkar Cricket Stadium in the centre.
- Cartosat-2 series is the primary satellite carried by PSLV-C40, which lifted off from Sriharikota on January 12.
- The rocket carried 30 other satellites including 28 from six foreign countries.
Current Affairs Jan 17 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Roger Federer receives twin nominations for 2018 Laureus Awards.
- Roger Federer receives the double nomination for the 2018 Laureus World Sports Awards which will take place on February 27.
- Regarded as the Oscar of sports, the nominations for 2018 Laureus World Sports Awards were finalised following a ballot by the world’s sports media.
- Federer, who is currently a four-time Award winner could become the most decorated Laureus Award winner at the 2018 ceremony in Monaco on February 27.
India to host Afghanistan for the historic one-off Test match in Bengaluru from June 14.
- The BCCI confirmed that India will host Afghanistan for a one-off Test match in Bengaluru starting on June 14, 2018.
- This is the first time that Afghanistan plays a Test match after they got Full-Member status by the ICC in June 2017.
- Afghanistan and Ireland made full members of the ICC in June 2017, thus making them eligible to play Test cricket.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 17:
|Current Affairs | 16-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 15-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.