Latest Current Affairs Jan 19 2018
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 19.
Mumbai’s first textile museum project is finally on track.
- After 8 years of textile museum proposal, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has floated a tender worth Rs25 crore for the first phase at Kalachowki in Chinchpokli.
- The museum will come up at the 10-acre heritage precinct of the India United Mills compound.
- The project aims to document, archive and represent Mumbai’s textile legacy.
Nitish Kumar launches project worth over Rs. 400 Crores.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated and laid foundation stones for more than 300 projects worth over Rs. 400 crores.
- The Chief Minister visited a village under Ekma block of the district where he flagged off as many as 331 projects involving a total cost of Rs. 416 crores.
- Addressing a public meeting on the occasion, Mr Kumar spoke about his government’s campaign against social evils like dowry and child marriage.
Yogi Adityanath to attend VHP seers meet in Allahabad today.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will attend the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s (VHP) seers meet at Magh Mela grounds in Allahabad today.
- This will be the first major public event of the VHP to be attended by Adityanath after he took charge as the chief minister.
- Organisers said that issues ranging from cow vigilantism to social equality, among others, will be discussed at the meet.
More National Updates
More National News on Today Current Affairs January 19th, 2017.
Agni-5, Nuclear-capable fire and forget missile, successfully test-fired.
- India has successfully test-fired its nuclear capable surface-to-surface Agni-5 ballistic missile from a test range off the Odisha coast.
- The home-grown intercontinental range missile, with a strike range of 5,000 kilometres, is the most potent and longest range in its class in India.
- With Agni-5, India can reach almost all of China and most of Europe.
- Agni 5 is a fire and forget missile, which once fired cannot be stopped, except by an interceptor missile which only the US, Russia and Israel have.
Tamil Nadu to host first ever Defence Expo in April, says Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said Tamil Nadu will host its first-ever bi-annual defence exhibition in April.
- The exhibition will take place from April 11 to 14 and nearly 80 countries are expected to take part in it.
- Sitharaman said the ministry officials had earlier visited several states to hold the event and the Tamil Nadu government immediately came forward and allotted land for the event.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 19 Updates from around the globe.
Niklaus-Samuel Gugger becomes first Indian-origin MP in Switzerland.
- Niklaus-Samuel Gugger the first Indian to be elected to the Swiss parliament.
- Samuel was among 143 People of Indian Origin (PIO) parliamentarians from 24 countries who took part in the conference organised by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- In 2002, he was elected town councillor from Winterthur city northeast of Zurich near the German border.
The US tests nuclear power system to sustain astronauts on Mars.
- Initial tests for a long-duration NASA human mission on the inhospitable surface of Mars have been successfully tested.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration and U.S. Department of Energy officials said detailed the development of the nuclear fission system under NASA’s Kilopower project.
- Officials said a full-power test will be conducted near the middle or end of March, a bit later than originally planned.
Indian origin MP is first female Muslim minister to address British parliament.
- Nus Ghani, an Indian-origin parliamentarian in the UK, today became the first female Muslim minister to speak from the British Parliament dispatch box.
- The 45-year-old takes the appointment as Parliamentary Under-Secretary at the Department for Transport by British Prime Minister Theresa May.
- In 2015, she became the first Conservative party Muslim female candidate to be elected to Parliament.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 19 updates by reading the news.
Uber-SoftBank deal has closed, making SoftBank largest shareholder.
- A group of investors led by SoftBank Group Corp closed a deal with Uber Technologies Inc on Thursday.
- This deal made SoftBank the largest stakeholder in the ride-services firm and providing a much-needed boost to controversy-ridden Uber.
- The deal includes a large purchase of shares from existing Uber investors and employees at a discounted valuation for the company of $48 billion.
Emirates throws Airbus A380 a lifeline with $16-billion deal.
- The Middle East’s largest airline, Emirates, announced it made a deal with Airbus to purchase 20 A380 aircraft with the option to buy 16 more in a deal worth $16 billion.
- The Dubai-based Emirates already has 101 A380s in its fleet and 41 more on order, making it the largest operator of the jumbo jet.
- Emirates Chairman and Chief Executive Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum said the order will provide stability to the A380 production line.
More Business Updates
Check out the today business updates by reading Current Affairs Jan 19.
L&T Technology Services wins $50-million contract.
- The L&T Technology Services said it has won a $50 million worth project spanning over five years from a global aerospace electronic systems manufacturer.
- L&T Technology Services emerged as the winner to be the strategic supplier for the client’s ER&D.
- The company said the project with LTTS will result in the transformation of the customer operations into a managed services model.
Motorola to open 50 Moto Hubs in Delhi-NCR this month.
- To firm up its retail footprint in the country, Lenovo-owned Motorola announced it would open 50 Moto Hubs stores in the capital this month.
- In the second phase, the company plans to bring the Moto-Hub experience to over 100 cities.
- The Moto Hubs will also offer accessories like on-ear and in-ear headphones, Moto shells and phone covers.
- The company currently has 18 exclusive service centres in Delhi and 155 across the country.
Current Affairs Jan 19 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Virat Kohli wins Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for Cricketer of the Year and ODI Cricketer of the Year award.
- Virat Kohli, Indian cricket team captain won Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for Cricketer of the Year and ODI Cricketer of the Year award during the annual International Cricket Council (ICC) awards.
- Kohli, who was also named the captain of both ICC ODI and Test teams of the year, became the fourth Indian cricketer to have won ICC Cricketer of the year award.
- Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar and Ravichandran Ashwin are the other Indians to have received the honour in the past.
Kohli becomes second Indian to reach 900-point mark in ICC rankings.
- Virat Kohli has become only the second India batsman after Sunil Gavaskar to reach the 900-point mark in the latest MRF Tyres ICC Player Rankings.
- Kohli is only the 31st batsman in the history of Test cricket to reach 900 points.
- Don Bradman sits on top of the table with 961 points, followed by Steve Smith 947 points.
India rise to 102nd spot in FIFA rankings.
- India jumps three places and stood on 102nd in the first FIFA rankings of the year released on Thursday.
- Team India, who are just above 103rd placed Qatar, are ranked 14th among Asian countries.
- The Indians remained unbeaten in 2017, having won seven of their nine matches while two ended in draws.
- India had also qualified for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
Gerard Pique renewed Barcelona contract until 2022.
- Barcelona says it has reached a deal to renew Gerard Pique’s contract until 2022, adding a buyout clause of 500 million euros.
- He joined Manchester United in 2004 and returned to Barcelona in 2008 under coach Pep Guardiola.
- He has played more than 420 matches with the Catalan club, scoring 37 goals and winning 25 titles.
Actor-director Kashinath passes away.
- Veteran Sandalwood director, actor and producer Kashinath died at a private hospital in Bengaluru on Thursday.
- In his over a four-decade career, Kashinath is in association with nearly 50 films.
- From Kundapur in Udupi district, he debuted in 1976 as a director with Aparoopada Athitigalu.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 19:
|Current Affairs | 18-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 17-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This latest current updates page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.