Current Affairs Jan 2 2018
Have a complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 2.
Govt to set up Centre on Brahmaputra studies at IIT-Guwahati.
- A high-powered panel of the Brahmaputra Board has approved Rs 237 crore project for the protection of Majuli Island in Assam from flood and erosion.
- The Centre for Brahmaputra studies will cover multi-disciplinary aspects of hydrology, environment, inland waterways, agriculture and sociology.
- Majuli Island, with an area of 524.29 sq km, is the world’s largest river island.
Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express to get a makeover by March end.
- After refurbishing the rakes of the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Shatabdi Express, Western Railway (WR) has announced the makeover of all five rakes of the Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express by the end of March.
- The refurbishment of the Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express trains on 14 and 15 routes respectively, is being undertaken under ‘Project Swarn.
- The WR has spent Rs50 lakh on each rake. Railway officials said that they will install CCTV cameras in five coaches of the Rajdhani Express.
The two-plus-two dialogue between India and US to begin in April.
- The first so-called two-plus-two dialogue between India and the US will be held in April, and Pakistan, Afghanistan, an alternative to China’s One Belt One Road (OBOR) plan.
- The countries will discuss the ramifications of UN-designated global terrorist Hafiz Saeed’s entry into Pakistani politics despite a $10 million bounty.
- External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman will meet for a day with their counterparts in the US, secretary of state Rex Tillerson and defence secretary James Mattis on April 18 or April 19.
Important National Updates
National Current Affairs Jan 2 updates which are trending in the country.
CM Yogi to lay the foundation of the 660MW plant at Panki.
- The UP government is planning a power packed start to the New Year by deciding to gift a brand new super-critical 660 MW power unit at Panki in Kanpur.
- State energy department said that chief minister Aditya Nath Yogi is likely to lay the foundation stone of the new unit in January.
- The 660 MW plant would be the first state-owned power unit to be installed by BJP government almost 10 months after it stormed to power in March 2017.
India, Pakistan exchange list of nuclear installations.
- India and Pakistan exchanged, through diplomatic channels simultaneously at New Delhi and Islamabad, the list of nuclear installations.
- According to an external affairs ministry release, the two sides exchanged the list under the Agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against Nuclear installations between India and Pakistan.
- The agreement, which was signed on December 31, 1988, and entered into force on January 27, 1991.
Telangana starts free, 24-hour power supply to farmers.
- The Telangana government launched a round-the-clock power supply to the state’s 2.3 million farmers free of cost.
- Transmission Corporation of Telangana Ltd’s chairperson and managing director D Prabhakar Rao and Southern Discom MD Raghuma Reddy formally launched the scheme at Pothaipalli village of Shamirpet Mandal.
- Telangana chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao described the 24X7 agriculture power supply as a New Year’s gift for the farmers of the state.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 2 Updates from around the globe.
Saudi and UAE introduce VAT in a first for the Gulf.
- The United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have introduced value-added tax from Monday, a first for the Gulf which has long prided itself on its tax-free, cradle-to-grave welfare system.
- Saudi Arabia compounded the New Year blow for motorists with an unannounced hike of up to 127% in petrol prices.
- The 5% sales tax applies to most goods and services and analysts project that the two governments could raise as much as $21 billion in 2018.
China develops underwater surveillance networks in the Indian Ocean, South China Sea.
- China has developed a new underwater surveillance network to help its submarines get a stronger lock on targets while protecting the nation.
- The system, which has already been launched, works by gathering information about the underwater environment, particularly water temperature and salinity.
- The Chinese system is based on a network of platforms that gather data from the South China Sea, and the Western Pacific and Indian oceans.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 2 updates by reading the news.
ONGC makes significant oil, gas discovery in the Arabian Sea.
- State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has made a significant oil and gas discovery to the west of its prime Mumbai High fields in the Arabian Sea.
- Oil minister Dharmendra Pradhan said the discovery was made in the well WO-24-3 drilled west of Mumbai High fields.
- The discovery has indicated potential in-place reserves of about 29.74 million tonnes of oil and oil equivalent gas.
Appointment news with complete details on Jan 2 Current Affairs
Govt appoints Vijay Keshav Gokhale as foreign secretary.
- Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale on Monday took the appointment as foreign secretary for a two-year fixed term.
- Gokhale, a 1981 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), was India’s envoy to China.
- Jaishankar was appointed foreign secretary on January 29, 2015, for two years. He was given a one-year extension in January last year.
Science and Technology News
NASA to build robotic satellites to reduce space pollution.
- US government body Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) and NASA have teamed up to build robotic technology that can refuel and repair friendly satellites.
- Service stations in orbit name given to these robotic satellites would not only refuel satellites but also drastically improve their longevity and lifespan.
- According to a report in Futurism, the robots could fix minor maintenance issue keeping up with current orbiters as they age and sustain damage.
Astronauts identify unknown microbes in space for the first time.
- Astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) have for the first time identified microbes in space without having to samples back to Earth for tests.
- NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson conducted the experiment aboard the orbiting laboratory, with NASA microbiologist.
Current Affairs Jan 2 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Silva signs for Leicester to end the long-running saga.
- Portugal midfielder Adrien Silva has completed his move to Premier League side Leicester City.
- The 28-year-old capped 20 times and a member of the Portugal side that won Euro 2016 have had to wait four months to complete the £22 million transfer from Sporting Lisbon.
Vidarbha lifts maiden Ranji Trophy title after beating Delhi.
- Vidarbha won their maiden Ranji Trophy title by beating Delhi by nine wickets in the final in Indore.
- Ranji Team Vidarbha had to chase a target of 29 to lift their maiden Ranji Trophy title.
- This was Jaffer’s 9th Ranji Trophy final and he’s ended up on the winning side every time.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 2:
|Questions | Jan 2 Current Affairs||Quiz | Jan 2 Current Affairs|
|Current Affairs | 01-Jan-2018||Current Affairs Quiz | 01-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs December 2017||Current Affairs PDF Nov 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.