Latest Current Affairs Jan 20 2018
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 20.
Nine new cities added to Smart Cities Mission.
- Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri announced that Silvassa (Dadra and Nagar Haveli) has topped the list of winning cities in the fourth round of Smart City competition.
- The other cities are Erode (Tamil Nadu), Diu (Daman & Diu), Bihar Sharif (Bihar), Bareilly (Uttar Pradesh), Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh), Moradabad (Uttar Pradesh), Saharanpur (Uttar Pradesh) and Kavaratti (Lakshwadeep).
- Shillong (Meghalaya), has been given more time to submit its proposal as it failed to make it in time.
- The government will invest Rs 500 crore per city in the mission with a target of transforming 100 cities into Smart Cities by 2022.
- Information and communications technology (ICT) will be used for efficient management of basic urban services such as water supply, sanitation, housing, waste management and urban mobility.
- The nine cities have proposed an investment of Rs 12,824 crore (on 409 projects).
Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry to bring out a livability index of 116 cities.
- Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has decided to bring out a livability index of 116 cities, including the 99 smart cities.
- Hardeep Singh Puri, Housing and Urban Affairs Minister said that the Economist Intelligence Unit, which brings out an annual livability index of cities across the world, will work on the list in India.
- The EIU of The Economist, the London-based weekly, in alliance with the IPSOS Research Private Limited and Athena Infonomics (India pvt ltd) are doing the assessment of the livability index.
- World Bank will be funding the assessment and it will be of relative nature, with the 116 cities graded against each other.
- Currently, the EIU Global Livability Ranking’ for 140 cities includes only two Indian cities — Mumbai and Delhi.
- Delhi is at 100th spot and Mumbai at 115th. The ranking is based on parameters like stability, healthcare, culture, environment, education and infrastructure.
- Delhi scores a high 75/100 on education, but a low 55/100 on health. Mumbai ranks low on infrastructure (51/100).
- Melbourne has consistently figured as the most livable city, while Damascus in conflict-torn Syria is shown to be the least livable.
Union Government to come up with India’s first National Urban Policy framework.
- The Union government is set to come up with India’s first National Urban Policy framework by March this year.
- The housing and urban affairs ministry has appointed a panel, headed by Smart City Mission Director Sameer Sharma, to develop the policy framework.
- With the New Urban Agenda, India is looking internally and trying to see how we can align with it and come up with a National Urban Policy.
- The National Urban Policy will focus on 10 main areas such as cooperative federalism, agglomeration economies, harnessing rural-urban continuum, inclusive growth, sustainability, empowering local-level institutions, sound housing and urban infrastructure finance system, social justice and gender equity, and robust urban information system.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 20 Updates from around the globe.
US to sell F-35 jets worth $6.53 billion to Belgium.
- The United States State Department has approved the sale of 34 F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Conventional Take-off and Landing (CTOL) aircraft to Belgium.
- According to Defence Security Cooperation Agency under the US Department of Defence, the agency notified Congress of the sale for an estimated $6.53 billion.
- The sale also includes 38 Pratt & Whitney F-135 engines, 34 installed ones and four spares and other equipment for the radar-evading high-tech fighter.
- The sale of F-35s will provide Belgium with a credible defense capability to deter aggression in the region and ensure interoperability with US forces.
- Governments of Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Spain and others are also potential customers of the jet.
In a first, Drone rescues swimmers in Australia.
- A drone rescued two swimmers off an Australian beach on Thursday.
- The rescue took place as life savers at Lennox Head, were preparing for a training session on using drones to pull swimmers to safety.
- The practice turned into a real rescue when someone noticed that two men swimming outside safety flags were in trouble in a three-metre (10-foot) swell.
- Lifeguards launched the drone, steered it towards the swimmers and dropped a “rescue pod” into the water, where it expanded so the swimmers could grab it and swim to shore.
- Rescue took just 70 seconds. The two swimmers were exhausted but unharmed.
- Barilaro said the state government had invested A$430,000($343,000) in a trial of drone technology in December.
Britain appoints Loneliness Minister.
- The British government has appointed its first ever minister for loneliness.
- The ministry will help tackle the problem of isolation and loneliness suffered by an estimated 9 million people in the country.
- It follows a cross-party initiative to tackle an issue that was one of the legacies of Jo Cox, the Labour MP who was brutally murdered by a far right activist in 2016.
- Her work was carried on by Conservative MP Seema Kennedy and Labour MP Rachel Reeves, who together chaired a commission on loneliness that reported late last year, and called for national action.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 20 updates by reading the news.
Patanjali products enter fair price shops in Himachal Pradesh.
- Patanjali promoted by yoga guru Baba Ramdev are set to make entry into fair price shops run by the Himachal Pradesh State Civil supplies Corporation.
- The decision was taken by at a meeting convened by Food and Supplies Minister Krishan Kapoor with officials of the Patanjali Trust.
- Till now, Patanjali sold its products in the state either through its own outlets or franchise stores.
- During the earlier BJP government, Patanjali Trust was given 21 acres of land to set up a herbal garden-cum-ayurveda centre at Sadhupul near Solan.
Tata Steel has raised $1.3 billion from foreign investors through bonds.
- Leading alloy producer Tata Steel has raised Rs 8,400 crore through bonds from foreign investors to refinance debt on its international balance sheet.
- It raised $300 million through five-year papers at 4.45%, and another $1 billion through 10-year papers at 5.45%.
- Tata Steel had a debt of over Rs 90,250 crore. The steel maker used its Singapore arm Abja Investment for the fund-raising programme.
- Against its requirement of $1.3 billion, the company’s bond issue generated a book size of more than $7 billion, which helped it to lower the rate of interest offered in the two types of bonds.
- Besides the $1.3-billion bond issue, the company is also raising Rs 12,800 crore ($2 billion) through a domestic rights offer to finance its capacity expansion and pare debt.
- The company is raising capacity by 5 million tonnes per annum at its Kalinganagar plant, which currently has a capacity of 13 million tonnes.
Appointments and Resignations
Check out the today business updates by reading Current Affairs Jan 20.
CRPF DG Sudeep Lakhtakia has been appointed as the new chief of National Security Guard.
- Sudeep Lakhtakia, CRPF special DG has been appointed as the new chief of National Security Guard (NSG).
- Lakhtakia will take over from S P Singh, the current chief of NSG, who retires on January 31.
- The order was issued by the Appointment Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Sudeep is currently serving as a Special Director General in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquarters in New Delhi.
Former Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel was appointed as the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- Anandiben Patel, Former Gujarat Chief Minister was named the Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
- Rashtrapati Bhavan, announced that the President of India has appointed Smt. Anandiben Patel, to be the Governor of Madhya Pradesh with effect from the date she assumes charge of her office.
- Patel succeeded Narendra Modi as the Chief Minister of Gujarat after he became the Prime Minister.
- Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli currently holds additional charge of Madhya Pradesh.
Vizhinjam Port CEO Santosh Kumar Mohapatra has resigned from his position.
- Adani Group-owned Vizhinjam Port Chief Executive Officer Santosh Kumar Mohapatra has quit for personal reasons.
- Santosh who hails from Bhubaneswar, cited personal reasons for taking the decision.
- The construction agreement for the Rs 7,525 crore Vizhinjam International Deepwater Multipurpose Seaport project was signed between Adani Group Chairman, Gautam Adani and then Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
- The project, to be developed under Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT), mode will be completed in four phases.
Current Affairs Jan 20 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Bangladesh thrash Sri Lanka for biggest one-day win.
- Tamim Iqbal scored 84 runs as Bangladesh hit 320 and claimed their biggest win in one-day cricket on Friday.
- Sri Lanka, under new coach Chandika Hathurusingha, were bowled out for 157.
- Sri Lanka lost to Zimbabwe in their previous match in the three-nation contest.
- Tamim plundered two sixes and seven fours as Bangladesh came within four runs of their record one-day score against Sri Lanka.
- Shakib Al Hasan who made 67, and took three for 47 to claim man of the match honours, and Mushfiqur Rahim on 62.
- Tamim put on a scintillating 99 for the second wicket with Shakib before wicketkeeper Niroshan Dickwella successfully reviewed a not-out decision to end his 102-ball innings.
- Sri Lanka, rebuilding under Hathurusingha after their worst year in international cricket, never posed a serious threat as they lost by 163 runs.
Indian hockey defeated hosts New Zealand 3-1 in the Four Nations Invitational Tournament.
- Indian hockey team defeated hosts New Zealand 3-1 at the Four Nations Invitational Tournament to enter the final in Tauranga.
- Harmanpreet Singh, Dilpreet Singh and Mandeep Singh scored for India while Kane Russell was the lone scorer for New Zealand.
- India will face Olympic silver medallist Belgium in the final clash on Sunday.
- Belgium sealed their berth after beating Japan 4-1.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 20:
|Current Affairs | 19-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 18-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This latest current updates page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.