Latest Current Affairs Jan 28
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 28.
Now you can listen to All India Radio from anywhere in the world.
- Listeners can now tune into All India Radio (AIR) by giving a voice command from anywhere in the world with the help of Amazon Echo service.
- AIR has partnered with Amazon to provide the service on it’s Echo Services.
- AIR Director General F Sheheryar said that in order to avail the ‘voice on demand’ service, the listeners need to buy ‘Echo’ device from the e-commerce platform of Amazon.
Union Government to fund 90% of the cost of Ken-Betwa River linking project.
- Centre has decided to fund 90% of its cost of over Rs 18,000 crore and planned to get its foundation stone laid by PM Narendra Modi for the Ken-Betwa river-linking project.
- The Government plans to implement the project in three years so that people of the parched Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh start getting its benefits before the 75th independence day in 2022.
- Earlier, both the states had planned 60 (Centre):40 (State) funding pattern.
- Now, the new 90 (Centre):10 (State) funding pattern would bring them on board to start construction of the project.
- Union water resources minister Nitin Gadkari announced the decision at a function in New Delhi.
4 NH stretches to be used for emergency landing by IAF.
- The first four highway stretches for emergency landing of fighter aircraft will come up in Jaisalmer (Rajasthan), Ramnathpuram (Tamil Nadu) and Puducherry regions.
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has called for tenders to convert five km stretch of each of the three highway stretches as airstrips.
- The projects will be funded by the government and will cost at least Rs 150 crore.
- Contractors constructing these stretches will be responsible for their maintenance for four years and they will be responsible for fixing any defect for that period.
- Indian Air Force (IAF) had earlier cleared 12 NH stretches that can be developed as emergency landing airstrips for rescue operation teams to reach affected areas easily.
- These stretches are in Rajasthan, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Assam, Odisha, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Tamil Nadu.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 28 Updates from around the globe.
Japan’s foreign minister Taro Kono attended Indian embassy’s Republic Day celebrations in Tokyo.
- Japan’s foreign minister Taro Kono, in a special gesture, attended Indian embassy’s Republic Day celebrations in Tokyo.
- Japan is, for India, the most important country in facilitating its Act East Policy.
- India’s ambassador to Japan, Sujan Chinoy said, Taro Kono warmly recalled the close relationship between the two countries as personally experienced by him when he visited India last year at the invitation of the government of India.
- There are about 1400 Japanese companies with over 4800 Japanese establishments in India.
- Taro referred to 2017 as a great year for bilateral relations, particularly as the Japan India Year of Friendly Exchanges in which about 200 cultural events were held in India and Japan.
Finland’s President Sauli Niinisto, won his second term.
- Finland’s moderate President Sauli Niinisto won his second term as president of Finland with 62.7 percent of the vote.
- The 69-year-old Niinisto, is known for cultivating good relations with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin.
- Niinisto became the first candidate to win a first round victory since the electoral system was changed to a direct popular vote in 1994.
- Finland, which shares an 833-mile (1,340 km) border and a difficult history with Russia, has also developed closer ties with NATO but stopped short of full membership in line with a tradition of avoiding confrontation with Russia.
- He was the first Western leader to meet Putin following the annexation of the Ukrainian peninsula, and he has also actively pushed for an air safety agreement in the Baltic region.
- Sauli is a lawyer by training and he was the finance minister in the 1990s, known for his government’s austerity measures during Finland’s recession.
- He lost his first wife in a car accident in 1995. He was in Thailand during the deadly 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami and survived by climbing up an electricity pole with his son.
- Sauli is expecting a baby with his wife Jenni Haukio, 40.
50 nations invited for trade talks by India.
- India has invited 50 countries such as the US and EU to BRICS members, Kenya, Uganda and Australia for a mini-ministerial meeting in Delhi on March 19 and 20 to take the WTO talks forward.
- The meeting comes even as it plans to seek a road map for a dialogue when trade ministers meeting in Davos for the first time since talks collapsed in Buenos Aires last month.
- A senior government official said that India will seek a road map for agriculture and development issues. Trade ministers meet in Davos on Friday.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 28 updates by reading the news.
Lulu Group to invest Rs 2,500 cr in Telangana.
- UAE-based conglomerate Lulu Group has signed an MoU with Telangana Government to invest Rs 2,500 crore in the retail and food processing industry.
- The agreement was signed during the UAE visit of Telangana IT and industries minster KT Rama Rao.
- Lulu Group will construct a mega shopping mall spread over 1.8 million sqft and and will also set up a food processing plant and a logistics-cum-export processing unit for fruits and vegetables in Telangana.
- According to the company, the investments will lead to the generation of employment for 6,000 people in the state.
- Yusuffali MA, Lulu Group chairman said, “Telangana being the newest state offers great potential for expansions and the kind of support and cooperation we have been receiving from the state government has been very encouraging. We will begin the work within three months.”
- With an annual turnover in excess of $ 6.9 billion and staff strength of over 40,000 people, Lulu Group is considered a major player in areas such as retail, trading, shipping, IT, travel & tourism and education, among others.
Mahindra & Mahindra, set to manufacture and sell vehicles in Detroit, USA.
- Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) is set to launch SUVs in the US, becoming the first Indian manufacturer to produce vehicles in America.
- M&M will begin production in Detroit from March to roll out an off highway vehicle that will be sold across the US.
- Mahindra’s Korean subsidiary Ssangyong has started preliminary work to identify and launch SUVs in US. “
- They may initially begin through completely-built unit (CBU import) route, and thereafter manufacture them at Detroit.
- It is already selling tractors there and has an assembly operation at Houston in Texas.
- Rick Haas, CEO of Mahindra Automotive North America (MANA), said production of the off-highway vehicle is the first critical step towards establishing credible passenger vehicle operations in the US.
- The off-highway vehicle, an adaptation of a current Mahindra vehicle, has been in the works for the last two-and-ahalf years.
- It has spent roughly $230 million for the operations in Detroit, including an engineering centre and a production setup that has a paint shop and an assembly facility.
- The off-highway vehicle will be sold through the Powersports Dealer Network, a multibrand retail channel for all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles and watercrafts.
Find details about latest agreements in the world of Business, Politics and Defence by reading Current Affairs Jan 28.
India and Cambodia signed 4 pacts to boost connectivity and defence ties.
- Four agreements to enhance cooperation on security, connectivity and development assistance were signed by India and Cambodia.
- PM Narendra Modi and his Cambodian counterpart Samdech Hun Sen discussed the pact on Saturday.
- Hun Sen was on an official visit to India and had joined his Asean colleagues at the Republic Day parade.
- MoU were signed on the prevention of human trafficking; a mutual legal assistance treaty in criminal matters; a cultural exchange programme; and for a Rs 234.8 crore line of credit for Cambodia’s Stung Sva Hab water resource development project.
- The two sides also agreed to enhance bilateral defence ties, including through exchanges between senior-level defence personnel and capacity-building projects.
- India promised to “complete the India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway and agreed to explore the possibility of extending the highway to Cambodia and beyond.
- Both leaders agreed to have scheduled services operated by designated airlines in the future and support the expansion of air traffic rights and civil aviation arrangements to promote tourism.
India and Seychelles signed an agreement that allows India to build military infrastructure on Assumption Island.
- India and Seychelles signed a revised agreement to allow India to build military infrastructure on Assumption Island.
- The deal helps India expand its strategic reach in the Indian Ocean.
- Foreign secretary S Jaishankar signed the agreement in Victoria on Saturday.
- Seychelles President, Danny Faure, said that the project is of utmost importance to Seychelles, and it attests to the kinship and affinity that exists between our two countries.
- India’s foreign Secretary Jaishankar went to Seychelles in October and made amendments to the agreement.
J&K Businessmen signed an MoU with it’s counterparts from PoK to boost cross-LoC trade.
- Business representatives from Jammu, Kashmir and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir held a three-day meeting in Bangkok (Thailand) and signed an MoU to boost cross-border trade.
- Secretary General of Jammu and Kashmir Joint Chamber of Commerce and Industry (J&K-JCCI) Muzaffar Majid Jan said the meeting was for representatives of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Jammu, Kashmir and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, and prominent business leaders, Line of Control (LOC) traders as well as women entrepreneurs was convened by Conciliation Resources in Bangkok from 25-27th January.
- He said important issues concerning each region were discussed by the representatives, the key focus being on the improvement of connectivity across the regions.
- The new leadership of the J&K-JCCI assumed office for the new term of 2018, as per the prevailing traditions of this forum.
- Javid Ahmad Tenga took the position of president, while Rakesh Gupta and Ghulam Murtaza assumed office as joint presidents.
- The main ideas discussed to promote the LoC trade were inclusion of services in this context and advanced banking arrangements to facilitate a better and more effective trade process.
Current Affairs Jan 28 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
India lost the Four-Nations Invitational Tournament to Belgium.
- India was defeated by Belgium via penalty shootout in the final of the Four-Nations Invitational Tournament.
- Felix Denayer, Sebastien Dockier and Arthur van Doren scored for Belgium in the shootout.
- Tanguy Cosyns (41), Cedric Charlier (43), Amaury Keusters (51′) and Felix Denayer (56′) scored during regulation time.
- For India, Ramandeep Singh (29′, 53′), Nilakanta Sharma (42′) and Mandeep Singh (49′) were the goal scorers before the shootout.
Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, administered the Khelo India pledge in New Delhi.
- Delhi pledged its support to Khelo India School Games at the Central Park in Connaught Place.
- Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, minister of sports and youth affairs, administered the Khelo India pledge to hundreds of sports lovers.
- The minister, who was India’s first individual silver medallist ever at the 2004 Olympic Games, showed his enthusiasm by shooting hoops, playing table tennis and making a few chess moves.
- He asked the youngsters to go out and play sports for a healthy new India.
- He said that the objective of Khelo India is aimed at ushering a sports culture in the country.
- Every year the sports ministry will take 1000 youngsters under the Khelo India programme and provide them with support to the tune of Rs. 5 lakh for the next eight years.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 28:
|Current Affairs | 27-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 26-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our current affairs 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This latest current affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs Jan 27.