Current Affairs Jan 5 2018
Have a complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 5.
Govt launches Swachh Survekshan 2018.
- The government made an announcement to the launch of cleanliness survey for this year as part of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 will rank 500 cities on the national level which have more than 1 lakh population.
- Providing details of the Swachh Survekshan 2018, the minister said it would be the largest survey impacting more than 40 crores urban population.
Govt launches online cancer detection course.
- Union health ministry launched a seven-month online course designed by Tata Memorial to help non-cancer specialists detect early signs of the disease.
- The course is intended for physicians, gynaecologists, dentists and other healthcare professionals who are not oncologists.
- This is part of government’s Digital India programme through which millions of doctors in remote areas will be informed.
Lok Sabha passes a bill to hike salaries of SC, HC judges.
- A bill to hike the salaries of judges of the Supreme Court and the 24 high courts by over two folds was passed by the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
- Once the bill got a clearance by Parliament and becomes a law, the Chief Justice of India will get a monthly salary of Rs 2.80 lakh from the present Rs one lakh.
- Tomorrow is the last day of the Winter session. If the bill is not passed by the Rajya Sabha tomorrow, the salary hike will have to wait until the Budget session which may commence from January 30.
Important National Updates
National Current Affairs Jan 5 updates which are trending in the country.
BSF launches ‘Operation Alert’ along 200 km border to curb militant movement.
- The Border Security Force (BSF) has launched “Operation Alert” along the over 200 km-long International Border (IB) in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Inspector General of BSF Jammu Frontier, Ram Avatar told there are inputs that there is a movement of militants and accordingly, we have declared ‘Ops Alert’ on the border.
- He said the effort of the BSF was to maintain peace along the border, but Pakistan was always trying to disturb this peace.
Indian envoy meets top official of Chinese Communist Party.
- Indian Ambassador to China Gautam Bambawale held talks with Guo Yezhou, Vice Minister, International Department of the ruling Communist Party.
- Bambawale, a seasoned diplomat who till recently served as high commissioner to Pakistan, assumed charge as India’s ambassador to China last month.
- The meeting took place as a high-level Chinese delegation headed by Meng Xiangfeng, a close confidant of President Xi Jinping.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 5 Updates from around the globe.
North, South Korea to hold official talks on January 9.
- North and South Korea will hold official talks next week for the first time in more than two years.
- The South’s unification ministry said North Korea had sent its consent for the talks to take place on Jan 9.
- The last time the two Koreas engaged in official talks was in December 2015.
- The talks will take at the border truce village of Panmunjom and officials from both sides will discuss the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.
Pakistan denies reports of Chinese military base near Gwadar.
- Pakistan rejects propaganda reports that China was going to establish a military base near the strategic Gwadar port in southern Balochistan province.
- There is no proposal of building any Chinese military base near Gwadar.
- The nearly $50 billion CPEC a flagship project of China’s prestigious One Belt One Road – passes through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 5 updates by reading the news.
SBI to consider raising $2 billion via foreign currency bonds.
- The State Bank of India (SBI) said it will hold a meeting with the central board to consider fundraising worth $2 billion through foreign currency bonds.
- The bonds could be issued in single or multiple tranches of up to $2 billion through a public offer or a private placement.
- In the calendar year 2017, the SBI’s London branch did two foreign currency bond issues.
Google plans to sell Zagat, restaurant review platform it acquired in 2011.
- Google is exploring a potential sale of Zagat, the US restaurant review guide which the search giant bought for $151 million in 2011.
- Over the past year, Alphabet has been pruning its portfolio and shedding smaller non-core assets.
- Google’s asking price is not known, and there is no certainty it will agree to sell Zagat, the sources said.
Air India ties up with foreign banks to acquire 3 B777 planes.
- State-owned Air India has tied up with UAE-based First Abu Dhabi Bank as well as Standard Chartered Bank and Mashreq Bank.
- Union minister Jayant Singh said it has tied up to avail short-term loans for acquiring three Boeing 777 aircraft.
- The delivery of the three B777-300 ER planes is scheduled to be completed next month two in January and one in February.
Appointment news with complete details on Jan 5 Current Affairs
Prof Gopal Guru takes the appointment as editor of EPW.
- Political scientist Gopal Guru takes the appointment as the editor of the Economic and Political Weekly.
- Professor Guru currently teaches Political Science at the Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi.
- The Sameeksha Trust has appointed Professor Gopal Guru as the Editor of Economic and Political Weekly for a period of five years.
Former Watford coach Mazzarri takes the appointment as Torino head coach.
- Former Inter Milan and Watford coach Walter Mazzarri were handed the reins at Torino.
- Mihajlovic was fired defeat to holders Juventus, allowing the experienced 56-year-old to take over the northern side.
- Mihajlovic joined Torino in the summer of 2016, having been sacked by AC Milan in April that year.
Ricky Ponting takes the appointment as Delhi Daredevils head coach.
- Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting is named as the new head coach of Indian Premier League franchise Delhi Daredevils.
- The 43-year-old has earlier coached Mumbai Indians for two seasons in 2015 & 2016.
- Apart from coaching role, Ponting has played in the cash-rich T20 tournament for Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians.
Current Affairs Jan 5 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Liverpool, forward Mohamed Salah named African Footballer of the Year.
- Egypt forward Mohamed Salah wins African Footballer of the Year for 2017.
- Salah is the second Egyptian to win the award after Mahmoud Al-Khatib in 1983.
- He also made an African record move to Liverpool and scored 23 goals in all competitions for the Premier League club in 2017.
Senior NCP leader Vasant Davkhare is no more.
- Senior NCP leader and former deputy Chairman of the Maharashtra Legislative Council Vasant Davkhare died after a prolonged illness.
- Davkhare was first elected as corporator in the Thane Municipal Corporation in 1986.
- In 1987, he was the Mayor of Thane Municipal Corporation.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 5:
|Current Affairs | 04-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 03-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.