Current Affairs Jan 9 2018
Have a complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs Jan 9.
India’s fastest supercomputer established at IITM Pune.
- Harsh Vardhan, Union minister for science and technology dedicated India’s fastest and first “multi-petaflops” supercomputer to the nation.
- Named “Pratyush“, the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility has been established at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune.
- It will help improve weather and climate forecasts. Petaflops is a measure of a computer’s processing speed.
- IITM said the facility will help the country with better monsoon forecasts, tsunamis, cyclones, earthquakes, air quality, lightning, fishing, hot and cold waves, flood and drought.
Indian Space Research Organisation to launch 31 satellites.
- ISRO will launch 31 satellites, including earth observation spacecraft Cartosat, on January 12 instead of January 10.
- Other satellites, including 28 from the US and five from other countries, will be part of the launch on January 12 at 9.30 a.m.
- ISRO Public Relations Director Devi Prasad Karnik told the rocket launch will take place from ISRO’s spaceport located at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- The mission’s payload will also include one each nano and micro satellite from India, besides Cartosat-2.
- Cartosat will beam high-quality images for cartographic, urban and rural applications, coastal land use and regulation and utility management like road network monitoring.
Latest International Current Affairs Jan 9 Updates from around the globe.
Indian company Adani among top 15 global utility solar power developers.
- Adani Group is among the top 15 global utility solar power developers that includes First Solar, Total, SunEdison and Engie.
- Adani, ranked 12th, is the only Indian company on the list prepared by Greentech Media.
- First Solar tops the list with an operational capacity of 4,619 MW and in-development capacity of 4,802 MW.
- Adani has 788 MW of operational capacity and another 1,270 MW under development.
- It is also moving into the Australia solar market with the development of the 140 MW Whyalla and 170 MW Rugby Run plants.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs Jan 9 updates by reading the news.
SBI raises $2 billion to fund overseas business.
- State Bank of India, has proposed to raise up to $2 billion (over Rs 12,600 crore) by issuing bonds in US dollar or other convertible currency to fund overseas expansion.
- The bank said the fund-raising will take place through a public offer and/or private placement of senior unsecured notes in US dollar or any other convertible currency during 2017-18 and 2018-19.
- SBI launched the country’s largest institutional share sale programme, to raise up to Rs 15,000 crore to strengthen its capital base to increase loan growth.
- Shares of SBI closed 0.18 per cent lower at Rs 305.65 on the BSE on Monday.
Beard care market reaches Rs 100 crore.
- Beard-care market reaches Rs 100-crore. With film stars and cricketers sporting beards, the trend has sustained its growth momentum over the last couple of years.
- The market is growing, and will grow further at least for the next five years.
- The market has grown from a no-market to close to a Rs 100-crore in a matter of two-three years.
- FMCG companies like Emami too invested in The Man Company to cater to the head-to-toe premium men’s grooming products, which include beard management.
Union Government to start strategic divestment of Air India.
- The government will sell it’s stake in Air India and hopes to finish the transaction by June.
- The Union Cabinet gave an in-principle approval for Air India’s strategic disinvestment in June last year.
- A panel headed by FM Arun Jaitley is now devising the strategy for executing the sale.
- Tata Group, IndiGo and Jet Airways are among the Indian carriers who may bid for Air India.
- NITI Aayog recommended up to 100% stake sale, along with writing off its debt. PM Narendra Modi is keen to ensure a strategic disinvestment in the loss-making airline.
Appointment news with complete details on Jan 9 Current Affairs
Ricky Ponting is Australia’s assistant coach for T20s.
- Ricky Ponting has been appointed as the assistant coach during Australia’s Twenty 20 international series against England and New Zealand.
- The former captain will work under head coach Darren Lehmann, while Troy Cooley and Matthew Mott will help out during the series.
- Lehmann has previously said he will not seek to renew his contract when his current deal expires at the end of 2019, with Ponting seen as a potential successor.
- Ponting undertook the T20 role last year when he worked with the Australia squad for the three-match series against Sri Lanka.
Current Affairs Jan 9 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Barcelona buys Philippe Coutinho for 160-million-euros.
- Philippe Coutinho officially joined Barcelona on Monday, completing the move from Liverpool.
- The transfer is worth 160 million euros ($192 million), making it the third richest transfer in history.
- Coutinho, 25, signed a five-year contract in a ceremony alongside Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu.
- However, a thigh injury would delay his debut until the end of January.
- Barca coach Ernesto Valverde said the Brazilian will fit into the team, which already has superstar Lionel Messi.
- Coutinho said he was excited about playing alongside Messi, Luis Suarez and Andres Iniesta.
Usain Bolt gets a trial with Borussia Dortmund.
- Sprinter Usain Bolt will undergo a trial at German top-flight club Borussia Dortmund.
- However, the Olympic medalist admitted that he would prefer to play for Manchester United, his favourite team.
- Bolt and Dortmund share the same sponsor, Puma. The trial with the Bundesliga team has been arranged by the sportswear company.
Kapil Mohan, chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, manufacturer of Old Monk Rum passes away.
- Kapil Mohan, the man behind the iconic ‘Old Monk‘ rum, passed away. He was 88 years old.
- Mohan, the chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, suffered a fatal cardiac arrest at his residence in Ghaziabad.
- Old Monk, launched in 1954 was for a long time the largest selling dark rum in the world.
- In 2015 it was reported that ‘Old Monk’ saw a 54% decline in sales between 2010 and 2014.
- Mohan Meakin apparently sold only 3.9 million cases of the rum in 2014.
Links Related to Current Affairs Jan 9:
|Current Affairs | 09-Jan-2018||Current Affairs | 08-Jan-2018|
|Current Affairs January 2018||Current Affairs PDF Dec 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.