Current Affairs January 2017: Aspirants we have collected the Valuable Information for all aspirants who are preparing for Competitive Examinations. Here we have mentioned the full January 2017 Current Affairs Explanation and Highlights. The Current Affairs of January 2017 helps candidates to crack the Government and Competitive Exam like IBPS, SBI, RRB Etc., Students can also get the Current Affairs Jan 2017 Pdf from This Page. We also Provided the Current Affairs January 2017 pdf download.
January 2017 Current Affairs Highlights
Jan Current Affairs 2017 Highlights
Current affairs January 2017- Date-wise Collections
|Date||Current Affair News||Current affairs Questions||Current affairs Quiz|
(January 2017 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of Jan 1st to 31st)
Detailed Current Affairs January 2017
The 27th meeting of Southern Zonal Council was held at Thiruvananthapuram.
- The 27th meeting of the Southern Zonal Council was held at Thiruvananthapuram on 28.12.2016 under the Chairmanship Hon’ble Home Minister.
- The important issues discussed in the meeting were issues relating to the security of fishermen, issuance of biometric cards to marine fishermen and issue of card readers, Peninsular Regional Industrial Development Corridor.
- In this Meeting Several Important issues were discussed. Council Members resolved 16 out of 22 Items present in the agenda.
Period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments limits extended by RBI.
- The Reserve Bank of India has extended the period of Prepaid Payment Instruments limit of Rs 20,000 as part of efforts to promote digital payments.
- The limit has extended till the completion of the review of the PPI guidelines.
- However, the balance in such PPIs cannot exceed Rs 20,000 at any point
General Bipin Rawat takes over as next Chief of Army Staff – Current Affairs January 2017
- General Bipin Rawat has taken charge as the new 27th Chief of Army Staff (CoAS) of India.
- His appointment goes against the long-held convention of appointing the senior-most eligible officer.
- Bipin Rawat has held key appointments in Army headquarters and with UN peacekeeping force.
- He is from Uttarakhand and had got the ‘sword of honour’ when he was a graduate out from the Indian Military Academy in 1978.
- He has handled various operational responsibilities in many areas, including along the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan, LAC (Line of Actual Control) with China and in the North-East.
Current Affairs 2017 January Explanation
Somdev Devvarman has announced his retirement from tennis.
- Suffering from injuries, India’s star singles player Somdev Devvarman announced his retirement from professional tennis.
- Somdev is India’s star singles player since he first broke into the scene in 2008.
- In 2011 he received the Arjuna award the country’s second highest sporting honour.
India successfully test-fires Agni IV Missile
- India has successfully test fired the nuclear-capable strategic ballistic missile Agni-IV
- It has a strike range of 4,000 km.
- It is 20 meter-long weighing 17 tonnes.
- According to DRDO sources, the surface to the surface missile is in a form of a design with modern and compact avionics to provide the high level of reliability.
- Agni-IV missile is the one which is equipped with Avionics & 5th generation on board computer and distributed architecture.
Government appoints David R Syiemlieh as new UPSC chairman
- David R Syiemlieh takes charge as the Chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) by President Pranab Mukherjee.
Five Facts of David:
- He has also served as the Pro Vice Chancellor of NEHU in 2011.
- He has master’s degree in History (1976), MPhil (1980) and PhD (1985) from the North Eastern Hill University which is in Shillong.
- David R Syiemlieh is also an author of several books and articles on the history of North East India.
- He was given a charge as the Vice Chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi University, Doimukh in Arunachal Pradesh.
January Current Affairs 2017
RBI appoints Surekha Marandi as their new Executive Director.
- The Reserve Bank of India appoints Surekha Marandi as its Executive Director.
- Surekha Marandi worked as Principal Chief General Manager and Chief Vigilance Officer in Reserve Bank over a span of three decades.
- She has an experience of three decades in regulatory and supervisory, financial inclusion, development and human resource management areas in the RBI.
- Surekha Marandi has also worked with the Boards of United Bank (UB) and Bank of Baroda (BOB).
- She holds a Master’s Degree from Jadavpur University.
(Note: RBI at present has 11 Executive Directors who are in charge of various departments.)
Scientists discovered Mesentery a new human organ in the digestive system – Current Affairs January 2017
- Irish scientists have recently identified a new human organ which existed in the digestive system for hundreds of years.
- The Scientist named the new human organ as mesentery
- It will be human body’s 79th organ as per Irish Scientists.
Jeanette Epps is the First African American space station crew member who will be sent into space by NASA in 2018
- NASA astronaut Jeanette Epps is set to be the first African-American crew member to board the International Space Station (ISS)
- She flies to the orbital post in May next year.
- Epps earned a bachelor’s degree in physics in 1992 from LeMoyne College, New York.
- She Completed master’s of science in 1994 and a doctorate in 2000 in aerospace engineering from the University of Maryland.
- She spent seven years as a CIA technical intelligence officer before being selected as a member of the 2009 astronaut class.
[Practice Daily Current Affairs Quiz]
Current Affairs of Jan 2017 – With Detailed Explanations
16th meeting of FSDC took place in New Delhi
- The 16th meeting of Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) took place in New Delhi.
- The Meeting took place under the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
Key Highlights of FSDC Meeting
- Indian economy appears to be much better placed because of improvement in its macroeconomic fundamental despite fragile world economy.
- Jaitley reviewed that this is the major issues and challenges facing the economy.
- Discussed the various initiatives taken by the government and regulators for promoting financial inclusion/ literacy.
- They discussed the issues relating to technology like pertaining to Fintech, digital innovations and cyber security.
Pakistan tests their first nuclear capable submarine cruise missile Babur-3.
- Pakistan successfully test-fired its first Submarine-Launched Cruise Missile (SLCM) Babur-3.
- The Babur-3 missile took fire from an underwater mobile platform from a non discover location in the Indian Ocean.
Key facts of Babur-3 – Current Affairs January 2017
- Babur-3 is a sea base variant of Ground Launched Cruise Missile Babur-2.
- It name is given as Zahir-ud-Din Babur after the first Mughal Emperor.
- It has a range of 450km. Babur-3 incorporates state of the art technologies including underwater controlled propulsion, advanced guidance, navigation features.
- Babur-3 SLCM in land-attack mode is capable of delivering various types of payloads.
(Note: India for the first time had successfully test fired a nuclear capable, submarine missile in 2008 and tested a submarine launched cruise missile in 2013.)
Current Affairs January 2017
China launches first commercial space mission with new Kuaizhou-1A rocket.
- China launched its first commercial mission using an updated version of the low-cost Kuaizhou-1A rocket successfully.
- Three satellites whose names are JL-1, CubeSats XY-S1 and Caton-1 were launched into space As part of the mission.
- The rocket launch took from northwestern China’s Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center.
Norway becomes the first country to ban FM radio broadcasting. – Current Affairs January 2017
- Norway has become the first country to ban FM radio Broadcasting.
- The main reason for banning FM radio is that the government is ready to offer a better radio service to the whole people.
- At present, there are 22 national digital stations in Norway including 20 smaller ones.
- Norway decided to switch to DAB because of its inhospitable topography.
Manish Tewari has been given a role as a Distinguished Senior Fellow of Atlantic Ocean.
- Manish Tiwari who was the Union Minister of Information and BroadCasting from 2012 to 2014 is taken charge as New Distinguished Senior Fellow of Atlantic Ocean.
- He is a senior counsel practising in the Supreme Court.
- In his career, he served as Member of Parliment from Ludhiana.
- Jr Jon M Huntsman is the chairman and Frederick Kempe is the President of the Atlantic Council.
Current Affairs from January 2017
India’s first solar power boat launch took place in Kerala.
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan launched the first solar powered boat.
- They named the boat as Aaditya at Vaikom where the launch has taken.
- The boat will have its service between Vaikom and Thavanakkadavu.
- The boat consists of two electric motors and a lithium battery.
- This boat has a seating capacity of 75 people.
Ecuador took up the chair of United Nation group of 134 developing countries.
- Ecuador has taken over the chair from Thailand.
- It has taken the chair of the group of 77 which promotes the interest of the 134 developing countries.
SpaceX launches the Cluster of Iridium Satellites from California. – Current Affairs January 2017
- SpaceX which is the American Rocket Company launches Falcon 9 Vehicle into space with 10 satellites of Iridium.
- Iridium is a global leader in mobile voice and data satellite communications.
- This satellite will be the first part of 70 satellites of Iridium Generation.
- SpaceX will be launching all 70 satellites of Iridium Next.
- This satellite is capable of transporting satellites and the Dragon spacecraft into the orbit.
Antonio Tajani is the new President of European Parliament.
- Antonio Tajani who is 36 is the new president of European Parliment.
- He defeated another Italian Gianni Pitella.
- Tajani secured 351 votes against 282 for Mr pitella.
(January 2017 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of Jan 1st to 31st)
Alok Kumar Verma has taken charge as CBI Director.
- The Appointments committee of the cabinet has appointed Alok Kumar Verma as the new Central Bureau of Investigation.
- The appointment of Verma as the CBI director is his 24th posting.
- He handled vigilance work between Feb 2011 to Feb 2012.
- He also served as DGP of Puducherry.
A Record of 103 satellites on a single rocket is ready to launch by ISRO.
- Indian Space Research Centre ISRO will launch 103 satellites on a single rocket.
- These 103 satellites consist of the satellites belonging from US and Germany.
- Last year ISRO launched a record 20 satellites at one go.
- Russia has the record of launching 37 satellites in a single mission.
Union Cabinet approves Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017. – Current Affairs January 2017
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved for the launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017.
- Key Highlights:
- LIC will implement the VPBY 2017 during the current financial year.
- It provides a pension based on a guaranteed rate of 8 percent annum per year.
Sources confirm that Nikki Haley is the new US envoy to the United Nations.
- US Senate confirms Nikki Haley as the governor of South Carolina.
- The 44-year-old politician won with a 96-4 vote in the 100 member chamber.
- Haley had made history in the previous by becoming the first American women to be elect as a governor of the state.
Current Affairs January 2017 Information
Kirameki 2 is the first Military Communications Satellite whose launch is taken by Japan.
- Japan has successfully launched its first military satellite Kirameki-2.
- The design is a help to improve Japans communication network in the face of China.
- It will replace the three civilian satellites currently used by Japan Military.
- These satellites are in a design for stepping emergency response capability in case of natural disaster.
Amulya Kumar Patnaik took charge as new Delhi Police Commissioner – Current Affairs January 2017
- Amulya Kumar Patnaik who is 1985 batch IPS officer took charge as new Delhi police commissioner.
- Patnaik succeeds Alok Kumar Verma who was already present as the new CBI Director.
- He has a three-year role as a top cop, IG, SPG.
ISRO successfully tests Cryogenic Engine for Upper Stage of GSLV Mk III.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested cryogenic engine for the upper stage GSLV Mk 3 rocket.
- It was a test for 50 seconds at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu demonstrating all the stage operations.
It was the first test in a series of two tests.
Current Affairs January 2017 Key Facts
- Cryogenic engines are used in the upper stage of a rocket launch as they provide the maximum thrust for a launcher vehicle.
- The development of C25 cryogenic stage started after approval of GSLV MkIII, ISRO’s next generation launch vehicle, capable of launching heavy four-tonne class spacecraft into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).