Aspirants we have collected the Valuable Information of Current Affairs January 2018 for all Candidates who are preparing for Competitive Examinations. Here we have mentioned the full January 2018 Current Affairs Explanation and Highlights. The Current Affairs of January 2018 helps candidates to crack the Government and Competitive Exam like IBPS, SBI, RRB Etc. Students can also get the Current Affairs January 2018 Pdf from this Page. We also Provided the January 2018 Current Affairs pdf download. Read the January 2018 Current news which will help you to score better marks in UPSC, SSC, IBPS and various other national exams.
Current affairs January 2018 – Date-wise Collections
January 2018 Current Affairs
January Current Affairs
Current Affairs January 2018
Haryana Government launches ‘Bhavantar Bharpayee Yojana’ for vegetable growers.
- The Haryana government has launched ‘Bhavantar Bharpayee Yojana’ assuring farmers of fair prices for their produce and emphasising on diversification of crops.
- A separate fund will be constituted by the state government for this scheme.
- The state government would compensate the difference in price when prices in the market will go below the mentioned prices.
- The farmers should get themselves registered on Bhavantar Bharpayee website or in the office of Haryana State Agricultural Marketing Board.
Israel Withdraws from UNESCO.
- Israel has filed notice to withdraw from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) alongside the United States.
- Israel has blasted UNESCO in recent years over the organisation’s criticism of Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem and its decision to grant full membership to Palestine in 2011.
- Israel was the member of UNESCO since 1949. Both Israel and the US have filed its own withdrawal notice in October 2017.
Indian golfer Shiv Kapur wins Royal Cup at Pattay.
- Indian golfer Shiv Kapur won the Royal Cup at Pattaya, which is his third Asian Tour title of 2017.
- Kapur first won on Asian Tour in his debut season in December 2005.
- Kapur, the only multiple winner on Asian Tour this year, is also the only Indian to have won three times on Asian Tour.
- Now he has won three times in eight months.
Jan 2018 Current Affairs Updates – Current Affairs January 2018
The two-plus-two dialogue between India and US to begin in April.
- The first so-called two-plus-two dialogue between India and the US will be held in April, and Pakistan, Afghanistan, an alternative to China’s One Belt One Road (OBOR) plan.
- The countries will discuss the ramifications of UN-designated global terrorist Hafiz Saeed’s entry into Pakistani politics despite a $10 million bounty.
- External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and defence minister Nirmala Sitharamanwill meet for a day with their counterparts in the US, secretary of state Rex Tillerson and defence secretary James Mattis on April 18 or April 19.
China develops underwater surveillance networks in the Indian Ocean, South China Sea – Current Affairs January 2018
- China has developed a new underwater surveillance network to help its submarines get a stronger lock on targets while protecting the nation.
- The system, which has already launched, works by gathering information about the underwater environment, particularly water temperature and salinity.
- The Chinese system is based on a network of platforms that gather data from the South China Sea, and the Western Pacific and Indian oceans.
Govt appoints Vijay Keshav Gokhale as foreign secretary.
- Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale on Monday took the appointment as foreign secretary for a two-year fixed term.
- Gokhale, a 1981 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service (IFS), was India’s envoy to China.
- Jaishankar was appointed foreign secretary on January 29, 2015, for two years. He was given a one-year extension in January last year.
Current Affairs January 2018
Maneka Gandhi launches NARI, one portal for all schemes for women.
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi launched a web portal, NARI.
- It will provide information on all government schemes for women.
- Users can log on to www.nari.nic.in to access information on different programmes offered by various state governments as well as the Centre.
- The NARI portal carries details on 350 different schemes for women and will be updated from time to time.
China to invest $1 billion in mega Sri Lanka project.
- China will invest $1 billion in the construction of three 60-storey buildings at a mega-project near Sri Lanka’s main port, Colombo.
- The deal follows an earlier Chinese investment of $1.4 billion to carry out reclamation work for the wider Colombo International Financial City development.
- Sri Lankan officials said 60 percent of the 269-hectare reclamation, due to finish next year complete with the yacht marina, had already been completed.
Former RAW chief Rajinder Khanna appointed deputy NSA.
- Rajinder Khanna, a former chief of the country’s external intelligence agency RAW, takes the appointment as the Deputy National Security Adviser (NSA).
- He headed the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) from December 2014 for a fixed two-year period.
- Khanna is at present Officer on Special Duty (Neighbourhood Studies) in the National Security Council Secretariat.
Current Affairs 2018 January
Isro working on the design of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation is working on the design of a Small Satellite Launch Vehicle which would be a compact launcher exclusively for smaller satellites.
- The small launch vehicle is likely to reduce the cost for launching satellites in the competitive space technology market.
- When Isro launched a record 104 satellites in February last year, except the Cartosat-2, all were small satellites.
First Blue Moon total eclipse in 150 years to occur this month.
- A rare total lunar eclipse that involves the second full moon of the month popularly known as a Blue Moon is set to take place on January 31 for the first time in over 150 years.
- For the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and Eastern Europe, the eclipse will already be underway as the Moon rises
- The Pacific Ocean will turn towards the Moon at the time and the eclipse will take place during the middle of the night.
Senior IPS officer Abhay takes the appointment as NCB chief.
- Senior IPS officer Abhay has taken charge as the new chief of the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Abhay was till now working in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) as additional DG.
- He has had a seven-year stint with the CBI in the past apart from heading the crime branch and special branch of the Odisha Police.
January 2018 Current Affairs Updates
Mamata launches West Bengal govt’s official emblem.
- The West Bengal government launched its official emblem, conceptualized and designed by chief minister Mamata Banerjee.
- Mamata Banerjee says the state emblem the “Biswa Bangla” logo with Ashoka Pillar of the national emblem will be used in all the official works.
- The state cabinet has already cleared a proposal to name the state of West Bengal as ‘Bangla’ in September last year.
ISRO ready for the first satellite launch in 4 Months after failure in August – Current Affairs January 2018
- Since August last year, ISRO had an agonising four months fixing the problem on its rockets.
- The space agency says the problem is solved and it is ready to fly its rockets again with 31 satellites.
- ISRO, the country’s premier space agency that handles the launch seems to have regained confidence and is ready for a lift-off on January 12.
Viswanathan Anand to play in Chess Olympiad.
- Viswanathan Anand is set to be part of the next edition of Chess Olympiad which will take place at Batumi, Georgia in September this year.
- The presence of Anand, who had last taken part in the biennial event back in 2006, will be a big boost for India.
- India’s best showing in the Olympiad has been a bronze medal at the 2014 edition.
Today Current Affairs Updates
Indigo starts service from Tirupati to Hyderabad and Bengaluru.
- IndiGo Airlines commenced three daily flights to Hyderabad and two to Bangalore from Temple town Tirupati.
- Ashok Gajapathi Raju, Union Minister of Civil Aviation and IndiGo president Aditya Ghoshflagged off the air services at Sri Venkateswara International Airport at Renigunta.
- The airport is locatd 15 kms from Tirupati.
Patanjali Ayurved to partner with eight leading e-tailers and aggregators.
- Baba Ramdev-led Patanjali Ayurved will partner with eight leading etailers and aggregators to give a big push to online sales.
- The Haridwar-based company is expected to enter into agreements this month with major online retailers — Amazon, Flipkart, Paytm Mall, 1MG, bigbasket, grofers, shopclues and snapdeal.
- Patanjali is organising a function on January 16 here and representatives of all the online companies are expected to attend it along with Ramdev and its MD Acharya Balkrishna.
- Patanjali had forayed into kids and adult diapers and affordable sanitary napkins segments.
- It has announced that it is venturing into solar equipment manufacturing.
- Besides FMCG (fast-moving consumer goods) segment, Patanjali Ayurved is present in other sectors such as education and healthcare.
Current Affairs January 2018 – Daily Current Affairs Updates
Indian company Adani among top 15 global utility solar power developers.
- Adani Group is among the top 15 global utility solar power developers that includes First Solar, Total, SunEdison and Engie.
- Adani, ranked 12th, is the only Indian company on the list prepared by Greentech Media.
- First Solar tops the list with an operational capacity of 4,619 MW and in-development capacity of 4,802 MW.
- Adani has 788 MW of operational capacity and another 1,270 MW under development.
- It is also moving into the Australia solar market with the development of the 140 MW Whyallaand 170 MW Rugby Run plants.
Union Government to start strategic divestment of Air India – Current Affairs January 2018
- The government will sell it’s stake in Air India and hopes to finish the transaction by June.
- The Union Cabinet gave an in-principle approval for Air India’s strategic disinvestment in June last year.
- A panel headed by FM Arun Jaitley is now devising the strategy for executing the sale.
- Tata Group, IndiGo and Jet Airways are among the Indian carriers who may bid for Air India.
- NITI Aayog recommended up to 100% stake sale, along with writing off its debt. PM Narendra Modi is keen to ensure a strategic disinvestment in the loss-making airline.
Kapil Mohan, chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, manufacturer of Old Monk Rum passes away.
- Kapil Mohan, the man behind the iconic ‘Old Monk‘ rum, passed away. He was 88 years old.
- Mohan, the chairman of Mohan Meakin Ltd, suffered a fatal cardiac arrest at his residence in Ghaziabad.
- Old Monk, launched in 1954 was for a long time the largest selling dark rum in the world.
- In 2015 it was reported that ‘Old Monk’ saw a 54% decline in sales between 2010 and 2014.
- Mohan Meakin apparently sold only 3.9 million cases of the rum in 2014.
Current Affairs Updates – Current Affairs January 2018
India’s first all-women railway station enters Limca book of records.
- The first all-women station in India, Matunga on Central Railway (CR) has entered the Limca Book of Records.
- The railway station is handled by 41 women staff.
- This initiative was taken by Central Railway General Manager D.K. Sharma in July 2017 with the aim of empowering women.
- Accordingly, women staffers were posted across all departments, like 17 ladies for operations and commercial, 6 for Railway Protection Force, 8 for ticket checking, 2 announcers and 2 conservancy staffers, and 5 point persons.
- A total of 41 staff are under the charge of Station Manager Mamta Kulkarni.
First security dialogue between India and Indonesia was held in New Delhi – Current Affairs January 2018
- India and Indonesia held their first security dialogue on operational cooperation in security and counter-terrorism.
- It was led by National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and Indonesia’s Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs H Wiranto.
- The Indonesian foreign ministry had said the two countries will discuss cyber security, counter-terrorism efforts and transnational organised crime.
- Indonesia and India agreed to strengthen strategic partnerships across various key areas, including defence, security, economy and maritime at the 5th Indonesia-India joint commission meeting in Jakarta.
Ashish Dikshit was appointed as the managing director of Aditya Birla Fashion.
- Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd (ABFRL) appointed Ashish Dikshit as the managing director, replacing Pranab Barua.
- Ashish Dikshit will take charge with effect from Feb 1.
- Dikshit, is currently the business head of the of Madura Fashion and Lifestyle division, he will take up the new position for a period of five years.
- Barua will be retained in the company as an additional director of the board.
- Chief Financial Officer S Visvanathan has also resigned from the company and will step down effective Feb 28.
- He will be replaced by Jagdish Bajaj as the new CFO, effective April.
Daily Current Affairs – Current Affairs January 2018
Maharashtra govt to create quota for orphans aspiring to take competitive exams.
- The Maharashtra state government is planning to provide a special category reservation for orphans taking competitive exams.
- Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis made the announcement at Raj Bhawan on Wednesday.
- In the current system, there is no option to categorize orphan children who are not aware of their parents’ caste or religion.
- Fadnavis said there are many welfare schemes to assist orphans, but the issue before the state is giving an identity to them. So, the government will bring a draft Bill soon.
Rewa Solar to get Rs. 2,800 crore funding from International Finance Corporation.
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) — the World Bank’s private investment arm will invest $440 million in the 750 MW Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Park in Madhya Pradesh.
- IFC investment will be in the form of debt to three companies that are setting up the units, each of 250 MW — Mahindra Renewables, Acme, and Actis.
- The deal for a $140 million (around Rs 900 crore) funding with Actis has been signed, while the one with Acme for $150 million is due to be signed soon.
- Third deal with Mahindra, for $150 million is awaiting final approval.
- The solar park is being developed by Rewa Ultra Mega Solar, a joint venture between Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam and the Solar Energy Corporation of India.
Renowned scientist Sivan K was appointed as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation.
- Union Government appointed scientist as the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- He will replace current chairman A S Kiran Kumar.
- Sivan, at present is the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, he will succeed Kiran Kumar, who was appointed on January 12, 2015.
- He graduated from Madras Institute of Technology in aeronautical engineering in 1980 and completed Master of Engineering in Aerospace engineering from IISc, Bangalore in 1982.
- Subsequently, he completed his PhD in Aerospace engineering from IIT, Bombay in 2006.
- Numerous awards such as Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) from Sathyabama University, Chennai in April 2014 and Shri Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr Vikram Sarabhai Research award for 1999 have been awarded to him.
Updates of Current Affairs – Current Affairs January 2018
Indian Space Research Organisation launched its 100th satellite from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
- ISRO launched its 100th satellite ‘Cartosat-2‘ series from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at 9.28 am.
- The satellite carries panchromatic and multi-special cameras, operating in Time-Delay Integration mode, capable of delivering high resolution data.
- The 100-kg Indian microsatellite will capture images at night and will also provide high resolution scene specific spot images.
- The images will be used in the areas of cartographic, urban & rural applications, coastal land use, road network & monitoring and water distribution.
- It will also carry 30 other satellites belonging to Canada, Finland, France, Korea, UK and USA.
- This is the third satellite in the Cartosat-2 series and 42nd flight of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.
Indian-American politician Aruna Miller to run for elections from Maryland – Current Affairs January 2018
- Indian-American politician Aruna Miller has filed nomination papers to run for the US Congress from Maryland.
- Miller is currently a member of the Maryland House of Delegates.
- Miller, a civil engineer, is endorsed by EMILY’S List and 314 Action, a political action committee dedicated to electing more STEM candidates.
- She worked for 25 years for Montgomery County.
- In 2010, she was elected to the Maryland House of Delegates where she represents the 15th District and serves on the Appropriations Committee.
India and Malaysia held a 5th Bilateral Technical Meeting in New Delhi.
- Meeting was on cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine between both the countries .
- It was a part of the agreement signed between both countries in 2010.
- Issues discussed between the meetings were establishment of Ayurveda Chair in University of UTAR, Malaysia.
- Professional training in Panchakarma therapy for Malaysian experts in India.
- The evaluation of safety of combination Ayurvedic/ traditional products for clinical trials.
- An MoU was signed between National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB), Ministry of AYUSH and Malaysia.
Current Affairs January 2018
Solar ferry in Kerala completes one year of operation.
- Country’s first solar-powered ferry operating in the Vembanad lagoon in Kerala, completes one year of successful operations.
- The 75-seater responsible green transport project ferry was launched on January 12, 2017.
- The ferry takes a total of 22 trips between the jetties of Vaikom and Thavanakkadavu on opposite banks of the Vembanad.
- Commuters travel to Cherthala, a major town in Alappuzha district from Vaikom in less than half the time taken by buses.
- Aditya is one among four ferries on this stretch, the others being conventional diesel boats.
- Aditya is much larger in size, resting on two hulls with an open cabin at the front for the sailor.
- The 1500 sq ft of solar panels on the roof of the boat convert solar energy into electrical energy to be stored in the battery units.
- The expensive but light-weight, lithium-ion phosphate batteries are connected to two electric motors which use the energy to propel the boat.
Saudi Women allowed to attend a football game for the first time – Current Affairs January 2018
- Saudi Arabia allowed women to enter a football stadium for the first time to watch a football match.
- The ultra-conservative kingdom eases strict rules separating the sexes.
- New measure comes after Riyadh, lifted a ban prohibiting women from driving, as well as reopening cinemas.
- Islamic kingdom has announced a series of reforms initiated by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
- The first football match women are being allowed to attend is a clash between Saudi Premier League clubs Al-Ahli and Al-Batin in the Red Sea city of Jeddah.
Maharashtra power transmission company to purchase 1000 MW solar power.
- Mahavitaran, the power transmission company of Maharashtra state government, is planning to purchase 1000 MW solar power this year.
- Bids to purchase 1000 MW solar power have been invited at Rs 3 per unit.
- As compared to solar power, thermal power is sold at Rs 5 per unit, he said.
- This year, the government is planning to boost solar power generation.
- Rajasthan, Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh are ahead of Maharashtra in generation of solar power.
- At present, the solar power generation in Maharashtra is only 1,000 MW out of which 300 MW is produced by MahaGenco (Maharashtra State Electricity Board Co Limited).
- Under the Chief Minister’s Solar Agri Feeder programme, solar power pumps with the capacity of 7000 MW will be set up for the agriculture purpose.
- Water conservation department has set the target of 1000 MW solar energy from the Ujni dam.
Current Affairs Updates – Current Affairs January 2018
Teen Murti Chowk in Delhi, renamed after Israeli city Haifa.
- Teen Murti Chowk in New Delhi has been renamed as Teen Murti Haifa Chowk.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu attended a ceremony at the Teen Murti Memorial in Delhi to mark the renaming.
- The two leaders also laid a wreath and signed the visitor’s book at the memorial.
India to host two-day international meet on disaster relief along with the UN.
- More than 22 countries are participating in a two-day international meet to build a global coalition for development of disaster resilient infrastructure.
- It will be on the lines of the Solar Alliance of 120 countries.
- India will spend $1.5 trillion on infrastructure in the next 10 years.
- UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) is partnering to achieve regional and global targets towards cutting down disaster deaths and economic losses due to natural hazards.
- The UNISDR is jointly hosting the deliberations with multilateral agencies like World Bank, Asian Development Bank, New Development Bank, besides Japan, Germany, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Nepal, Bhutan and the Netherlands.
- This is the second tiome that such an event is organised in New Delhi towards building a coalition on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- In 2016, India had hosted the Asian Ministerial Conference on DRR that saw the adoption of a regional plan for a committed reduction in disaster losses by 2030.
IDFC Bank to merge with Capital First – Current Affairs January 2018
- IDFC Bank and Capital First have agreed to a merger deal.
- V Vaidyanathan, current chairman and MD of Capital First will be succeeding Rajiv Lall as MD and CEO of the merged entity.
- A joint statement said that the decision was in line with the bank’s strategy of “retailising” its business and with Capital First’s stated intention to convert to a universal bank.
- The boards also approved a share swap ratio of 139 shares of IDFC Bank for 10 shares of Capital First.
- Rajiv Lall who led IDFC Group from 2005 to the present in various top positions will be the non-executive chairman of the merged bank.
- He will replace Veena Mankar who will continue to remain on the board.
Current Affairs January Updates
Japan’s foreign minister Taro Kono attended Indian embassy’s Republic Day celebrations in Tokyo.
- Japan’s foreign minister Taro Kono, in a special gesture, attended Indian embassy’s Republic Day celebrations in Tokyo.
- Japan is, for India, the most important country in facilitating its Act East Policy.
- India’s ambassador to Japan, Sujan Chinoy said, Taro Kono warmly recalled the close relationship between the two countries as personally experienced by him when he visited India last year at the invitation of the government of India.
- There are about 1400 Japanese companies with over 4800 Japanese establishments in India.
- Taro referred to 2017 as a great year for bilateral relations, particularly as the Japan India Year of Friendly Exchanges in which about 200 cultural events were held in India and Japan.
Mahindra & Mahindra, set to manufacture and sell vehicles in Detroit, USA.
- Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) is set to launch SUVs in the US, becoming the first Indian manufacturer to produce vehicles in America.
- M&M will begin production in Detroit from March to roll out an off highway vehicle that will be sold across the US.
- Mahindra’s Korean subsidiary Ssangyong has started preliminary work to identify and launch SUVs in US. “
- They may initially begin through completely-built unit (CBU import) route, and thereafter manufacture them at Detroit.
- It is already selling tractors there and has an assembly operation at Houston in Texas.
- Rick Haas, CEO of Mahindra Automotive North America (MANA), said production of the off-highway vehicle is the first critical step towards establishing credible passenger vehicle operations in the US.
- The off-highway vehicle, an adaptation of a current Mahindra vehicle, has been in the works for the last two-and-ahalf years.
- It has spent roughly $230 million for the operations in Detroit, including an engineering centre and a production setup that has a paint shop and an assembly facility.
- The off-highway vehicle will be sold through the Powersports Dealer Network, a multibrand retail channel for all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles and watercrafts.
India and Seychelles signed an agreement that allows India to build military infrastructure on Assumption Island.
- India and Seychelles signed a revised agreement to allow India to build military infrastructure on Assumption Island.
- The deal helps India expand its strategic reach in the Indian Ocean.
- Foreign secretary S Jaishankar signed the agreement in Victoria on Saturday.
- Seychelles President, Danny Faure, said that the project is of utmost importance to Seychelles, and it attests to the kinship and affinity that exists between our two countries.
- India’s foreign Secretary Jaishankar went to Seychelles in October and made amendments to the agreement.
Current Affairs Today – January Updates
Candidates read the latest updates of Current Affairs January 2018 from the above article. Make use of the January 2018 Current Affairs which will help you to gain more General Knowledge. In January 2018 Current Affairs we are providing with important National International and other News happening around the world. 2018 January Current Affairs will contain all the information that you are looking for. Reading the January Current Affairs 2018 will be helpful in getting more marks in all competitive exams.