Daily Current Affairs June 5
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs June 5
Karnataka Congress leaders likely to visit Delhi over ministerial berths, portfolios.
- Karnataka deputy chief minister G Parameshwara on Monday indicated that Congress leaders from the state were likely to visit New Delhi.
- To discuss the list of ministers and portfolio allocation with the party high-command, ahead of the June 6 cabinet expansion in the southern state.
- Under the agreement, the Congress would get the home, irrigation, Bangalore city development and law and parliamentary affairs portfolios among others.
- The portfolios of the JD(S) include finance, excise, information, intelligence, public works department, power, cooperation, tourism, education and transport.
WHO launches global action plan on physical activity.
- World Health Organisation’s (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has launched the new “WHO Global action plan on physical activity and health 2018-2030.
- Worldwide, one in five adults, and four out of five adolescents (11-17 years), do not do enough physical activity.
- It also calls for support to, for example, training of health care workers and other professionals, stronger data systems, as well as the use of digital technologies.
India, US, Japan to begin naval war game next week.
- India and its two strategic partners- the US and Japan- will hold the Malabar naval exercise from next week.
- In the coast of Guam in the Philippine Sea with an aim to deepen cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region where China has been expanding its military footprint.
- Indian Naval Ships Sahyadri, Shakti and Kamorta of the eastern fleet would be participating in the 22nd edition of the Malabar exercise from June 7 to 16 June.
- The Navy will send its P 8I surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft to the exercise, in its first overseas deployment, Navy officials said.
PM Modi to address World Environment Day event today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will on Tuesday address an event marking the World Environment Day whose theme this year is combating plastic pollution.
- He will also visit the exhibition set up on the occasion at the Rajpath lawns.
- The theme for this year’s World Environment Day is ‘beat plastic pollution’. India is the global host nation for the 43rd edition of the event.
Latest International Current Affairs June 5 Updates from around the globe.
Hong Kong set for the vigil as the US marks Tiananmen anniversary.
- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has urged China to disclose the details of people killed, detained or missing during the Chinese military’s crackdown.
- Pompeo marked Monday’s anniversary of the suppression of demonstrations on June 4, 1989, saying: “We remember the tragic loss of innocent lives.”
- Concerns have grown in Hong Kong that Beijing is eroding the semiautonomous southern Chinese city’s civil liberties.
First Trump-Kim meeting scheduled for 9 am June 12.
- The first meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will take place at 9:00 am Singapore time on June 12.
- The advance team in Singapore is finalizing preparations and will remain in place until the summit begins.
- Sanders added that Trump was getting daily national security briefings on North Korea in the run-up to the meeting.
Kremlin invites North Korea leader Kim Jong Un to visit Russia.
- Russia has invited North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to visit the country, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday.
- Peskov said Kim might visit Russia as part of an economic forum held in the far eastern city of Vladivostok in September.
- The Kremlin’s invitation comes days after Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov visited North Korea.
Saudi Arabia starts issuing driving licences to women.
- Saudi Arabia on Monday began issuing its first driving licences to women in decades, state media reported.
- The first group of women today received their Saudi driving licences, the official Saudi Press Agency said.
- The move comes as Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world where women are not allowed drive, prepares to lift its decades-long ban on female drivers on June 24.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs June 5 updates by reading the news.
Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz stepping down.
- Starbucks Corp. says Howard Schultz is stepping down as executive chairman this month of the coffee chain he joined more than 30 years ago.
- Schultz, who oversaw the transformation of Starbucks into a global chain with more than 28,000 locations, had left the CEO job at the company last year.
- The Seattle-based chain says Schultz will take the title of chairman emeritus as of June 26, and is writing a book about Starbucks’ social impact efforts.
Vedanta takes management control of Electrosteel.
- Vedanta Star, a subsidiary of metal czar Anil Agarwal’s Vedanta, has taken over the management control of Electrosteel Steels.
- In a filing to the stock exchanges, Vedanta informed that the company has paid the entire upfront amount of Rs 5,320 crore.
- The three directors nominated by Vedanta are Rashmi Mohanty, Prasun Kumar Mukherjee and N K Singhal.
PepsiCo to launch plant-based packaging.
- Food and beverage major PepsiCo, for instance, announced it will launch the first-ever 100% compostable, plant-based packaging.
- Rival Coca-Cola, too, has launched plant-based bottles in some markets.
- The origin of this plant-based packaging material lies in India,” a Coca-Cola India spokesperson said.
- Nestle, too, was aimed at 100% reusable and recyclable packaging by 2025.
Microsoft to buy coding site GitHub for $7.5 billion.
- Microsoft Corp said on Monday it would buy privately held coding website GitHub Inc for $7.5 billion.
- The deal will add to Microsoft’s operating income, including some costs, in its fiscal year 2020.
- For Microsoft, acquiring GitHub is both a return to the company’s earliest roots and a sharp turnaround from where it was a decade ago.
Vijay Mahajan made Rajiv Gandhi Foundation CEO.
- Social entrepreneur Vijay Mahajan has been appointed as secretary & chief executive officer of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation (RGF).
- He will also be director of Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, according to a statement issued by RGF.
- Mahajan is an alumnus of the IIT, Delhi (BTech, 1975), and IIM, Ahmedabad (1981), from where he got his MBA with a Gold Medal.
- He was a mid-career Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University.
Lufthansa Group Airlines appoints Alain Chisari as new vice president sales Asia Pacific.
- Lufthansa Group Airlines announced that it has appointed Alain Chisari as its new Vice President Sales Asia Pacific.
- Effective September, he will be managing and directing sales activities of the Lufthansa Group Airlines.
- Alain Chisari has held several key positions in the airline industry over the last nearly 20 years.
Govt appoints IDBI Bank MD & CEO Mahesh Kumar Jain as RBI deputy governor.
- The government has appointed Mahesh Kumar Jain, managing director and chief executive officer of IDBI Bank as a deputy governor at the Reserve Bank of India.
- Rajeev Kumar, secretary, Department of Financial Services (DFS) announced that Jain has been appointed to the position of deputy governor for a period of 3 years.
- With more than 30 years of experience in banking, Jain has been at the helm of IDBI Bank since March 2017.
Discovery and PGA sign 2 billion USD international rights deal.
- The PGA Tour broadened its international reach Monday in a $2 billion agreement with Discovery Inc.
- Nine months after the PGA Tour chose not to opt out early of its U.S. network deals, it formed an alliance to turn over its content outside of the U.S. to Discovery.
- Discovery has networks such as Animal Planet and Discovery, and through its acquisition of Scripps Networks Interactive added the Food Network.
Current Affairs June 5 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Sunil Chhetri brace helps India beat Kenya 3-0.
- Captain Sunil Chhetri will play his landmark 100th international match as India host Kenya in the Intercontinental Cup match.
- With 59 goals to his credit, the talismanic striker is India’s all-time leading scorer.
- The 97th ranked side is on a high having drubbed Chinese Taipei 5-0 in the tournament opener.
Guardiola handed two-match ban, Liverpool fined for City bus attack.
- Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola hit with a two-game touchline ban by UEFA on Monday.
- Liverpool was also fined 20,000 euros (£17,567) by UEFA for the damage caused to City’s team bus on their arrival at Anfield.
- The Catalan coach was sent off for furiously protesting after City were wrongly denied a second goal in the second leg with the tie still in the balance.
Umtiti’s new Barcelona contract has $586 million euro buyout.
- The contract extension to 2023 that France defender Samuel Umtiti signed with Barcelona on Monday contains 500m euro ($586m) buyout clause.
- Umtiti, who is 24 and has played 17 times for France, took a break from World Cup camp at Clairefontaine near Paris to travel to Barcelona.
- Umititi’s previous deal had a 60m euro buyout, but that had begun to look low after Liverpool paid 84m euros for Virgil van Dijk in December.
Rooney free to leave confirms new Everton boss Silva.
- Marco Silva made clear on Monday that it will be Wayne Rooney’s decision should he choose to leave his boyhood club for Major League Soccer side DC United.
- Rooney, 32, has already held talks with the Washington franchise over a reported $17 million transfer.
- England’s all-time record goalscorer had delayed a decision on his future until the appointment of a new manager.
Award-winning Dalit rice innovator passes away at 79 – Current Affairs June 5
- Dadaji Ramaji Khobragade, an award-winning Dalit rice innovator, died at a hospital at Shodhgram.
- Khobragade, 79, a resident of Nanded village in Nagbhid tahsil of Chandrapur district, is largely credited for developing the famous HMT variety of rice.
- Khobragade later went on to develop seven more varieties, winning the National Innovation Foundation’s Award in 2005 for original innovation.
Links Related to Current Affairs June 5:
|Current Affairs | 04-June-2018||Current Affairs | 03-June-2018|
|June 5018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF May 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs June 5 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs June 5.