Daily Current Affairs March 18
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs March 18
Union Minister of State R K Singh dedicated 4,611 smart and energy-efficient LED lights to Ara town in Bihar.
- R K Singh, Union Minister of State for power and New & Renewable Energy dedicated 4,611 smart and energy-efficient LED lights to the people of Ara town in Bihar’s Bhojpur district.
- The lights have been installed in just three weeks under the Street Light National Programme (SLNP) of the Union Ministry of Power.
- Ara Municipal Corporation is expected to save 27 lakh kWh energy per year, and Rs 13.6 crore over seven years.
- The SLNP is the world’s largest streetlight replacement programme implemented by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- It is a joint venture of PSUs under the Union Ministry of Power.
- The Bihar Government had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in December 2017 with EESL to install approximately 3 lakh conventional street lights with LEDs in all 38 districts.
- EESL is collaborating with all 143 urban local bodies (ULBs) in Bihar’s 38 districts, including 12 Nagar Nigams, 46 Nagar Parishads and 85 Nagar Panchayats.
Bhawana Kanth became the 2nd Indian woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo.
- Flying officer Bhawana Kanth became the second woman pilot of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to fly a fighter aircraft solo.
- Kanth, who hails from Darbhanga in Bihar, flew a MiG-21 “Bison” from Ambala Air Force Station at around 2 pm.
- At 340 kmph, the “Bison” has the highest landing and take-off speed in the world.
- In February this year, flying officer Avani Chaturvedi created history by becoming the first Indian woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo.
- Kanth, Chaturvedi and Mohana Singh were the first women to undergo fighter pilot training in the IAF.
- They were commissioned as flying officers into the fighter stream after basic training in June 2016 on “an experimental basis” for five years initially.
Latest International Current Affairs March 18 Updates from around the globe.
India, US two-plus-two dialogue postponed.
- The India-US two-plus-two meeting has been postponed due to uncertainty over confirmation of nomination of Mike Pompeo, as the new Secretary of State.
- The first two-plus-two meeting between India and the US was scheduled for April 18-19.
- Two-plus-two dialogue was announced last summer when Prime Minister Narendra Modi had a successful meeting with US President Donald Trump at the White House.
- Two-plus-two dialogue was seen as a vehicle to elevate the strategic relationship between the two countries.
- The new dates will now be determined after Pompeo occupies the Foggy Bottom headquarters of the State Department and settles down as the top American diplomat.
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang was appointed to second five-year term.
- China’s legislature appointed Premier Li Keqiang, of the ruling Communist Party, to a second five-year term.
- National People’s Congress delegates voted 2,964 to 2 to approve Li’s appointment.
- A day earlier party leader Xi Jinping was reappointed China’s president with no limits on how many terms he can serve.
- The legislature also approved the appointment of Yang Xiaodu as director for the National Supervisory Commission, that oversees civil servants.
- Also, a key Xi ally, Wang Qishan, was appointed to the post of vice president.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs March 18 updates by reading the news.
Online grocery delivery company Grofers raises Rs 400 crore.
- Online grocery delivery company Grofers has raised Rs 400 crore in a fresh funding round led by SoftBank Group.
- Tiger Global and Apoletto Asia also participated in the event.
- With this latest Series E funding round, the Gurgaon based company has now raised $226.5 million.
- Grofers will continue to invest in building private labels and supply chain improvements.
- A major part of the investment will go towards building infrastructure and tech and efficient supply chain management to achieve deeper penetration.
Edelweiss calls off acquisition deal with Religare Securities.
- Edelweiss Group announced that it is calling off acquisition of Religare Enterprises’ securities business.
- Citing the seller’s inability to obtain clearances, Edelweiss has cancelled the deal.
- Edelweiss Group’s wealth management unit had in December said it would acquire the Religare Securities business for an undisclosed sum.
- The statement had said Edelweiss Wealth Management has consistently looked at synergistic growth opportunities and expansion, especially for its asset and wealth management businesses.
- In the past the company had acquired Rooshnil Securities (2001) and Anagram Capital.
TiE and US Embassy partner to empower women entrepreneurs from Tier II & III cities.
- TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs) has partnered with the US Embassy in New Delhi to empower women entrepreneurs from Tier II and III cities.
- A four-day workshop to mentor and develop the skill set of the entrepreneurs was organized by TiE.
- A workshop with a similar theme was organised in Lucknow which ended on March 17.
- Two women entrepreneurs, Ginny Castleberry and Sonali Luniya from the US participated in the workshop held between March 14 to 17.
- The two women shared their knowledge and experience with the Women entrepreneurs of Uttar Pradesh.
- US based mentors worked alongside India based mentors to share best practices, experience and knowledge with the 30 women mentees from Punjab, Haryana, UP and Uttarakhand.
- This workshop was part of Project AIRSWEEE 2.0 (All India Roadshow on Women’s Economic Empowerment through Entrepreneurship 2.0 – Scaling Women’s Entrepreneurship in India).
Appointments and Resignations
Chief Ethics Officer of TATA Sons, Mukund Rajan quits.
- Mukund Rajan, chief ethics officer of Tata Sons, has quit from the Tata group.
- As per Tata Sons press release, Rajan has conveyed personal reasons for his decision to leave the company and will be evaluating certain entrepreneurial pursuits.
- Rajan and Tata Sons have agreed that he will leave Tata Sons on March 31, 2018.
- Rajan was in various leadership roles including in the telecommunication sector, private equity space and branding strategy, as a Tata Administrative Service (TAS) Officer in the Tata Group, over a period of 23 years.
- Mukund Rajan is the younger brother of former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan.
Current Affairs March 18 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Shi Yuqi defeated Lin to Dan win All England Championship.
- Seventh seed Shi Yuqi defeated Lin Dan to win the All England Open badminton championships in Birmingham.
- Shi, last year’s runner-up, won the opening game 21-19 against the six-time champion.
- Two time Olympic gold medallist, Lin came back to take the second game 21-16 but was outplayed in the third, trailing 11-2 at the mid-game break and losing it 21-9.
- In the women’s final top seed and defending champion Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan beat second seed Akane Yamaguchi from Japan 22-20 21-13.
Ranji Trophy winners Vidarbha won the Irani Cup by defeating Rest of India.
- Reigning Ranji Trophy champions Vidarbha won the Irani Cup.
- They beat Rest of India by by a massive first innings lead.
- Vidharba posted a total of 800 in their first innings and then bowled out Rest of India for 390 on the final day of the match.
- Vidarbha won by virtue of huge 404-run first innings lead.
- Rajneesh Gurbani (4/70), left-arm spinner Aditya Sarwate (3/97) took the wickets while Andhra batsman Hanuma Vihari scored 183 runs. India all-rounder Jayant Yadav scored 96.
- Resuming at 236/6, Vihari was the lone batsman hitting 23 boundaries and three sixes in 327 balls. Jayant on his part hit 14 boundaries off 230 balls.
Links Related to Current Affairs March 18:
|Current Affairs | 17-March-2018||Current Affairs | 16-March-2018|
|March 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF Feb 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs March 18 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs March 18.