Daily Current Affairs May 16
|This Day in History|
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 16
4th Meeting of SAWEN took place in Kolkata.
- The fourth meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) was held in Kolkata.
- Union cabinet gave its nod for India adopting the statute of the South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) which will help in checking cross-border wildlife crimes.
- SAWEN is a regional network comprises eight countries in South Asia like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Frozen Semen Station Being Set Up in Maranga, Purnea, Bihar.
- The foundation stone of the frozen semen station in Maranga, Purnea has been laid by Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Shri Radha Mohan Singh.
- The frozen semen station is being set up at a cost of Rs 64 crore under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission with 100% contribution from the Central Government.
- The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was initiated in December 2014 with an aim to conserve and develop indigenous breeds.
Madhya Pradesh to be declared ODF by October this year.
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan has announced that the State will be declared as open defecation free (ODF) by Gandhi Jayanti this year.
- This will mean that the State will become ODF one year before the national timeline of October 2nd, 2019.
- The Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Sushri Uma Bharti shared that the national sanitation coverage has risen to over 83%.
IIM-Ahmedabad Launches Bharat Inclusive Initiative.
- IIM-Ahmedabad’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation, and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) launched a Bharat Inclusion Initiative to build knowledge and foster innovation.
- CIIE at IIM Ahmedabad helps entrepreneurs turn ideas into viable businesses.
- The initiative will aim at channelizing approximately $25 million over the next 3-4 years towards backing game-changing start-ups.
First All-Woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra Starts Operations.
- In a first, a Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) run by an all-woman team has started operations in Phagwara, Punjab.
- Union Minister Vijay Sampla inaugurates the Seva Kendra in the local head Post Office.
- According to Jalandhar regional Passport Officer Harmanbir Singh Gill, the Phagwara Kendra will be under department’s Verification Officer Madhuri Bhavi.
Latest International Current Affairs May 16 Updates from around the globe.
China approves $1 billion loans for Sri Lanka highway.
- The Chinese government approves a $1 billion loan to Sri Lanka to build a highway and its export-import bank which is instructed to process the borrowing.
- It will be one of the largest projects which will be undertaking by China in the island nation, which is supporting China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- China has emerged as the largest single lender to Sri Lanka in recent years.
Nepal to hold BIMSTEC 2018.
- Nepal’s Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli has announced to host the 2018 Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit.
- It will hold the BIMSTEC summit while expressing commitment towards building the Bangladesh-Bhutan-India-Nepal initiative.
- The BIMSTEC is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and South East Asia, including Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 16 updates by reading the news.
Fino payments bank launched a digital suite.
- Fino Payments Bank has launched a digital services suite with the intention of helping the bank expand its footprint in the digital banking and payments space.
- The digital stack will facilitate extension of the bank’s digital efforts and help it provide simple and convenient banking to its customers.
- The bank launches an app BPay in September 2017, which will be the key driver for digital transition of customers.
India third largest solar market in the World: Mercom Communications.
- Mercom Communications, India emerged as the third largest solar market in the world in 2017 behind China and the US.
- As per the report, India set a new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016.
- Mercom Communications India is an arm of global clean energy consulting firm Mercom Capital Group.
Yes bank launches agenda 25*25.
- YES Bank and YES Global Institute have launched Agenda 25×25, which pledges to create a synergetic startup environment for budding women entrepreneurs in India.
- The effort would ensure that by 2025 at least 25% of all entrepreneurs in India are women.
- The bank made the announcement at the YES Bank – YES Global Institute Annual Startup Conclave hosted in partnership with NITI Aayog, Invest India, Startup India and Atal Innovation Mission.
Prof Muhammad Yunus conferred KISS Humanitarian Award 2018.
- The 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018 is presented to Prof. Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Laureate (2006) and Founder, Grameen Bank & Chairman, Yunus Centre.
- The award citation recognizes his unwavering commitment to eradicate global poverty and foster economic and social development.
- Last year, it was given to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, also a Nobel Peace Prize winner.
Faye D’Souza receives RedInk Award for ‘Journalist of the Year’.
- Faye D’Souza executive editor of Mirror Now channel gets the RedInk Award for ‘Journalist of the Year’ for her coverage of issues that touch the lives of common people.
- Veteran journalist William Mark Tully wins the RedInk Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism for 2018.
- The award, a part of the National RedInk Awards for Excellence in Journalism, is instituted by the Mumbai Press Club.
Current Affairs May 16 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Heena bags gold, Nivetha bronze in Hannover.
- Indian shooter Heena Sidhu clinched the gold medal while compatriot P Shri Nivetha settled for bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol.
- The event took place at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover.
- The ISSF Munich World Cup will take place from May 22 to 29 and will be Heena’s second major competition after her twin medal success
India beats Tajikistan to win U-16 four-nation football tournament.
- Indian Under-16 National Team became champions of the Four-Nation Tournament which took place in Serbia.
- The four-nation tournament is between India, Serbia, Tajikistan and Jordan.
- India bags a total of seven points in the tournament from their two wins against Jordan and Tajikistan, and a goalless draw against host nation Serbia.
Pakistan Hockey Legend Mansoor Ahmed Passes Away.
- Pakistan’s World Cup-winning hockey player Mansoor Ahmed passed away.
- Ahmed played as a Goalkeeper and Captain for Pakistan national hockey team.
Links Related to Current Affairs May 16:
|Current Affairs | 15-May-2018||Current Affairs | 14-May-2018|
|May 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF April 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs May 16 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs May 16.