Daily Current Affairs May 18
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 18
DGCA to issue licences to air traffic controllers.
- Indian air traffic controllers (ATCOs) will now be licensed by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), just like pilots.
- The aviation ministry took this decision after the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) recommended that air navigation services.
- For the last 70 years, ATC’s parent organisation – Airports Authority of India (AAI) – was doing their licensing too.
India slams OIC for raking up Kashmir at its Dhaka meet.
- India slammed the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) for raking up the Kashmir issue at its recent meeting in Dhaka.
- In a strongly worded statement, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India.
- The OIC is a 57-nation grouping which claims to be the collected voice of Muslims across the world.
Indonesia likely to give India access to the deep seaport in Sabang.
- Indonesia might give India access to a deep sea port in Sabang, including to its naval vessels.
- Sabang port has a depth of 40 metres which is good even for submarines.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to travel to Indonesia for a bilateral summit with Joko Widodo in the next couple of weeks.
- Among his engagements, Modi is expected to announce an Indian hospital in Sambang, which is just over 700km from Andaman & Nicobar islands.
By 2035, Delhi will be almost Mumbai + Kolkata.
- Delhi will overtake Tokyo as the world’s largest urban agglomeration by 2030 and have a population of 43.3 million by 2035, according to a UN report.
- The same report also predicts that over half of India’s population will live in urban areas by 2050.
- The only urban agglomerations in the top 10 in 2035 that would have seen faster growth since 2015 would be Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Naveen Patnaik launches the second phase of Mahanadi stir.
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has launched the second phase of the BJD’s Mahanadi agitation to protest water scarcity in the state’s riparian districts.
- On Thursday, Patnaik also announced that his government will spend Rs 75,000 crore for development of water resources across the state in the next five years.
- The BJD, which will conduct a ‘Jansachetana Yatra’ in 15 districts.
- It started its campaign on Wednesday at Sukhasoda village in Jharsuguda district.
Latest International Current Affairs May 18 Updates from around the globe.
Modi, Putin talks to focus on terror, regional issues.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin are likely to focus on pressing global and regional issues.
- Sources said the two leaders will meet for around four to six hours for the “agendaless” talks where deliberations on bilateral issues.
- The sources said the possible impact of the US sanctions against Russia under Countering America’s Adversaries.
- Through Sanctions Act on Indo-Russia defence cooperation may also figure during the talks between Modi and Putin.
US Senate confirms Gina Haspel as first woman CIA director.
- The US Senate on Thursday confirmed Gina Haspel as the first female CIA director, despite deep reservations among some lawmakers.
- President Donald Trump’s pick to lead the Central Intelligence Agency passed on a vote of 54-45, with half a dozen opposition Democrats.
- The 61-year-old Haspel, a Russia specialist who spent her career in the clandestine service.
- She takes over from Mike Pompeo, whom Trump recently made his secretary of state.
Nepal’s communists unite to form the biggest left party.
- The main group of Nepal’s Maoist former rebels and the liberal Communist UML party merged on Thursday to form the Himalayan republic’s biggest left party.
- Officials said the two constituents of the ruling coalition had formed the Nepal Communist Party.
- It now heads the nation’s first majority government in 19 years.
- In last year’s general elections, the two parties had formed a rare electoral alliance, defeating the centrist pro-India Nepali Congress party.
Over 100 ancient tombs discovered in Lhasa.
- More than 100 ancient tombs have been discovered in Lhasa, capital of Tibet, according to the regional cultural protection institute.
- Archaeologists have found the tombs late last year during the excavation of a graveyard covering more than 200,000 square metres in Quxu County.
- Due to centuries of erosion by rain and the impact of human activities, the tombs show signs of damage to various degrees, according to archaeologists.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 18 updates by reading the news.
Numetal doubles bid for Essar Steel to Rs 37,000 crore.
- Numetal, majority owned by Russia’s VTB Bank, has offered Rs 37,000 crore for the debt-laden Essar Steel in the second round of bidding.
- The Mauritius-based company also urged the appellate tribunal to direct the creditors to open the second round of bids as they had rejected the earlier offers due to eligibility issues.
- However, ArcelorMittal, the other prominent bidder for Essar Steel, opposed Nu-metal’s proposal at NCLAT, arguing that the first round of offers should be considered.
Facebook debuts India-first features for its stories format.
- Facebook has rolled a bunch of India-first features to its stories format.
- It includes voice posts and stories archive, before hitting the rest of world.
- The new features will be available first in India, home to some 27o million users, before being made available to everyone else in the world.
- Among the new features include voice posts, stories archive and the ability to save photos and videos from the Facebook Camera app.
India says has Saudi assurances on supply as oil hits $80 per barrel.
- India, the world’s third-largest oil consumer, said on Thursday it had received assurances from the world’s top oil exporter Saudi Arabia.
- The statement came as oil prices rose back to $80 per barrel for the first time since 2014 due to rising concerns over disruptions to Iranian oil exports.
- OPEC and its ally Russia have cut their output since January 2017 to help reduce excessive global stockpiles.
YouTube Music streaming service to launch on May 22.
- Google’s YouTube said it will launch a new music streaming service, YouTube Music, next week.
- It will unveil soon a premium service that will charge more for its original shows.
- YouTube Music, which will be launched on May 22, comes with extra features like personalised playlists based on individual’s YouTube history.
- The video streaming company said it will also launch YouTube Premium, the revamped YouTube Red subscription service.
Rajput named Zimbabwe’s interim head coach.
- Zimbabwe on Thursday appointed former India and Mumbai batsman Lalchand Rajput as the interim head coach of their senior men’s national team.
- Rajput was named as the head coach for the African team after Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) sacked former Zimbabwe pacer Heath Streak.
- The 56-year-old is expected to join the team ahead of a triangular Twenty20 international (T20I).
Current Affairs May 18 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
India beat Malaysia to reach women’s Asian Champions Trophy final.
- Defending champions India on Thursday breezed into the summit clash of the women’s Asian Champions Trophy after edging past Malaysia 3-2.
- India, who beat Japan 4-1 and China 3-1 in their previous matches, qualified for the final with a match in hand in their pool.
- They are sitting atop the table with nine points and will next take on hosts Korea in their final pool match on Saturday before Sunday’s final.
Guardiola extends Manchester City contract to 2021.
- Manchester City Manager Pep Guardiola signed a contract extension with the Premier League champions on Thursday that will keep him in the job until 2021.
- Spaniard Guardiola joined City in 2016 on a three-year contract and led them to the Premier League title this year.
- The city became the first top-flight club to collect 100 points in a season.
- They broke records for goals scored in a Premier League campaign.
Italy great Buffon to leave Juventus.
- Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon announced on Thursday that he will leave the Turin giants after 17 years.
- But did not as expected declare the end of his playing career.
- Buffon, 40, captained Juventus to a seventh straight Serie A title and fourth consecutive Italian Cup triumph this season.
- The former Parma goalkeeper will make his 640th Serie A appearance against Verona in Turin.
Afghan teen spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman signs for Hampshire.
- Hampshire announced the signing on Thursday of Afghan teenager Mujeeb Ur Rahman.
- They signed New Zealand’s Colin Munro also for the Twenty20 Blast.
- Mujeeb will be available for the whole of the county’s T20 campaign.
- White-ball specialist opener Munro can play until he moves to the Caribbean Premier League in August.
- The 17-year-old impressed as part of an Afghanistan side that claimed a historic victory in the Under-19 Asia Cup in 2017.
Coach Albert Roca to leave Bengaluru FC.
- Bengaluru Football Club coach Albert Roca will leave his job at the end of the 2017-18 season, the club announced on Thursday.
- He also helped the Blues win the Federation Cup (2017) and Super Cup (2018) to maintain Bengaluru’s record of winning a trophy every season.
- It is reported on May 5 that the coach has opted not to renew his contract and has already made a farewell speech to the players.
Links Related to Current Affairs May 18:
|Current Affairs | 17-May-2018||Current Affairs | 16-May-2018|
|May 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF April 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs May 18 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs May 18.