Current Affairs May 2017: We have collected the Valuable Information for all candidates who are preparing for Competitive Examinations. We have Provided the full May 2017 Current Affairs Explanation and Highlights. The Current Affairs of May 2017 helps Aspirants to crack the Government and Competitive Exam like IBPS, SBI, RBI, RRB Etc., Students can also get the Current Affairs 2017 May Pdf from This Page. We also Provided the Current Affairs May 2017 pdf download.
Current Affairs May 2017
Current affairs May 2017- Date-wise Collections
|Date||Current Affairs News||Current Affairs Question||Current Affairs Quiz|
(May 2017 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of May 1st to 31st)
Detailed Current Affairs of May 2017
Twitter partners with Bloomberg for Streaming news 24/7.
- Micro blogging website Twitter has partnered with Bloomberg Media to stream news round the clock on the social networking platform.
- The news service which is yet to name will have a support by ads and Bloomberg will have control over the feed content.
- The service is ready to go live later 2017.
- The service is for live news reporting from the news outlet’s bureaus globally, as well as a curated and verified mix of the video.
THAAD missile defense system operational is taking place in South Korea.
- The United States (US) Military’s missile defense system THAAD became operational in South Korea.
- The Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) has an initial intercept capability to defend against North Korean missiles.
- However, THAAD will not be going to be fully operational for a period of months.
About THAAD Details:
- THAAD missile defense system is made with a design to intercept and destroy ballistic missiles.
- It shoots down short and medium range ballistic missiles in the terminal phase only of their flight.
- It uses hit to kill technology where the kinetic energy of the missile destroys the incoming warhead.
- THAAD has a range of 200 km and an altitude of 150 km.
May 2017 Current Affairs
Dubai is the first city in the world to get its own Microsoft Font.
- Dubai became the first city in the world to get its own Microsoft Font.
- Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai’s Crown Prince and Chairman of the Executive Council launches The Dubai Font.
Facts about Dubai Font:
- It is the first typeface development took by Microsoft for Dubai.
- The font is available in three styles as Dubai, Dubai Medium, and Dubai Light.
- The font is now available to more than 100 million users of Microsoft Office 365 around the globe.
- Dubai Font is presently available for more than 180 countries and 23 languages.
Mallikarjun Kharge takes the appointment as the Chairman of Public Accounts Committee.
- Mallikarjun Kharge, leader of Congress in Lok Sabha takes the appointment as the Chairperson of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) of the Parliament.
- Apart from Kharge, the PAC has 14 members from Lok Sabha and seven members from Rajya Sabha.
More details about Public Accounts Committee:
- It is a committee of elected members of Parliament for the auditing of the revenue and the expenditure of the Government of India.
- The term of office of the members is one year.
- The Speaker of Lok Sabha appoints the Chairman of the PAC.
- The chairman of the committee will be select from the opposition since 1967.
Current Affairs From May 2017
Over the Chenab River Railway Bridge, taller than Eiffel Tower is ready to build.
- Railways Ministry made an announcement to build the world’s highest railway bridge over the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir in around two years
- This railway bridge is going to be 35 meters taller than the Eiffel Tower of Paris.
- The massive arch shape structure of the bridge is already under construction at a cost of around Rs 1100 crore in hostile terrain.
- The design of the bridge is made to withstand wind speeds of up to 260 km per hour, the bridge connects Bakkal (Katra) and Kauri (Srinagar).
- The bridge forms a crucial link in the 111-km stretch between Katra and Banihal, which is part of the Udhampur- Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project.
CCEA made an approvement of Central Sector Scheme SAMPADA – Current Affairs May 2017.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approves the schemes of Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries Under Central Sector Scheme SAMPADA.
- SAMPADA Stands for Scheme for Agro – Marine Processing and Development of Agro Processing Clusters.
- The scheme got an approval for the period of 2016 to 2020.
- This scheme will benefit 20 lakh farmers and will generate 530500 direct and indirect employment in the country by the year 2020.
- It will Increase the export of the processed foods.
Union Cabinet approves the National Steel Policy 2017.
- The Union Cabinet gave its approval for National Steel Policy.
- It aims to enhance domestic steel, consumption and ensure high-quality steel production.
- Cost Efficient Production.
- Encouraging adequate capacity additions.
- Increasing the domestic steel demand.
- Developing the globally competitive steel manufacturing capabilities.
May Current Affairs 2017
ISRO Successfully launches the South Asia Satellite.
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) successfully launches the South Asia Satellite.
- The communication and broadcasting satellite took a launch with Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle GSLV F-09 from the second launch pad of the Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota.
- South Asia Satellite, also known as the GSAT-9, is a geosynchronous satellite and will be useful for broadcasting, telemedicine, telecommunication, and disaster management purposes.
- The total project cost including the launch is read out to be about 450 crore rupees.
- The satellite operational life time is more than 12 years.
The Current Affairs May 2017 Updates is Prabhat Kamal takes the charge as the chairman of Tea Board of India.
- Most Famous tea planter from Assam Prabhat Kamal Bezboruah, who was once a banker in the US takes the appointment as the Chairman of the Tea Board of India for a tenure till November 2018.
- Bezboruah became the first non-IAS and the first industry insider to head the Kolkata-headquarter Tea Board, the governing body of the industry.
- On the other hand, renowned coffee grower M S Boje Gowda is given a charge as Chairman of the Coffee Board of India till December 2018.
- Prabhat Kamal Bezboruah is serving as the Head of the Tea Research Association (TRA).
- Bezboruah is also the owner of at least 6-7 top-rank tea gardens (Bokahola, Saotali, Longbari, etc) in Assam.
- He had also served two to three terms as a Chairman of Assam Tea Planters’ Association.
Current Affairs 2017 May
Facebook launches Express Wi-Fi service in India.
- Facebook launches the Express Wi-Fi in India.
- It will be available via 700 hotspots across four states.
- These four states are Uttarakhand, Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Meghalaya.
- Facebook also tied up with Bharti Airtel for setting more 20000 hotspots.
- The Express Wi-Fi services are already active in Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- This service will enable users to get high bandwidth internet service at low rates.
Gadkari inaugurates the Country’s 1st bio refinery plant.
- Nitin Gadkari, the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways inaugurates India’s first biorefinery plant that produces ethanol from a variety of biomass in Pune.
- Gadkari stated that such projects will help stage a great revolution in India’s agriculture sector.
- The project is at village Rahu, in Daund Taluka in Pune District of Maharashtra.
- The newly set up plant is capable of producing one million liters of ethanol annually by processing a variety of agricultural residue including rice and wheat straw, cotton stalk, cane trash, corn cobs with superior product yields.
Latest Current Affairs May 2017
Supreme Court sentenced Justice Karnan the first High Court judge to jail.
- The seven Judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court (SC), headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar, sentenced Justice C S Karnan, the Calcutta High Court judge, to six months of imprisonment.
- Justice Karnan is sent for the imprisonment of repeating the incidents of contempt of court.
- It is the first time that the Supreme Court has sent a high court judge to jail on contempt charges.
- The Supreme Court bench, headed by Chief Justice of India J S Khehar said in an issue to a contempt notice to Justice C S Karnan in February 2017.
- Justice Karnan was accused of contempt after he names 20 “corrupt judges” of India earlier in 2017 and asked for an investigation alleging corruption in the judiciary.
Larissa Waters, the first woman senator to breastfeed in Parliament – Current Affairs May 2017.
- Australia Senator Larissa Waters the deputy co leader of the Australian Greens party became the first women in the history of Australian Politics.
- She became the first women to breastfeed her baby during the Parliament session.
- In 2003 Kirstie Marshall a Victorian MP was asked to leave from the state parliament for breastfeeding her 11-day old baby girl.
In Antarctica India replacing its Research station.
- India is replacing its Maitri research station in Antarctica with a new one in the next three to four years.
- Madhavan Nair Rajeevan, Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences made an announcement about it.
- He also said that India is planning to expand its research activity in the coldest continent and a new ship, with a special ice-cutting facility.
May 2017 Current Affairs Updates
Moon Jae-in is sworn in as President of South Korea – Current Affairs May 2017
- Liberal Politician Moon Jae takes an oath as South Korea’s President in a ceremony at the National Assembly Seoul.
- Moon won the South Korea’s Presidental election in a victory.
About Moon Jae-in.
- she was born on 24th January 1953 and is the 12th and current president of South Korea.
- Moon Jae-in is also a former human rights attorney.
Jhulan Goswami becomes the highest wicket taker in Women’s One Day Internationals.
- Indian women’s team fast bowler Jhulan Goswami became the highest wicket-taker in the history of Women’s One-Day Internationals.
- Goswami broke the decade long record Australian Cathryn Fitzpatrick’s 180 wickets from 109 matches.
- Goswami claims her 181st victim in the 50-over format by dismissing the South Africa’s Raisibe Ntozakhe
More about Jhulan Goswami
- Born on 25th November 1982, Jhulan Nishit Goswami is an all round cricketer who plays for the India national women’s cricket team.
- She took the Indian team to first test series win in England in 2006-07.
- She won the ICC Women’s Player of the Year 2007.
Current Affairs May 2017 is Kochi Metro Rail Ltd offers jobs to transgender community members.
- Kochi Metro Rail made an announcement to employ 23 members from the transgender community.
- This is the first time in the Indian history that a government own company has formally appointed members of the transgender community.
- These 23 transgender workers will be going to be a part of the 530 Kudumbasree workers to be employed at 11 stations in Kochi Metro’s Aluva-Palarivattom corridor.
- The workers with better qualification to be provide with a post of ticket counters and the rest will be for housekeeping works, parking, gardening, customer relations, and to man the coach-depot canteen.
Current Affairs For the Month of May 2017
Latest Current Affairs May 2017 is Brazil declares an end to the Zika emergency.
- Brazil declares to end the public health emergency for the Zika virus after about 18 months of the fight against this mosquito-borne virus.
- The Zika virus emergency fell upon Brazil when the country was preparing to host the 2016 Olympics, spreading the concerns that Rio Olympics could spread the virus.
- Brazil made a launch of the mosquito eradication campaign which in result helps to dramatically reduce cases of Zika.
- From January till mid-April 2017, Brazil recorded 95 percent lesser cases than during the same period in 2016 when there were 170535 cases.
- The number of cases of microcephaly fell as well.
Light Combat aircraft Tejas successfully test fires air to air missile – Current Affairs May 2017
- Light Combat Aircraft Tejas successfully fired Derby Air-to-Air BVR missile.
- It is demonstrating an Air to Air Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile firing capability.
- The Combat took place at Interim Test Range (ITR), Chandipur.
- It is being considered as a major step towards clearing BVR capabilities on LCA aircraft for FOC.
Current Affairs May 2017
NASA detects the signs of water on a distant Neptune size planet.
- NASA scientists have found a strong water signature in the atmosphere of a distant Neptune sized planet called HAT-P-26b.
- NASA’s Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes show that the distant planet has a primitive atmosphere composing almost entirely of hydrogen and helium.
- Although the planet is not a water world, its atmosphere which is relatively clear of clouds has a strong water signature.
- The planet is also known as warm Neptune is located about 437 light years away and orbits a star roughly twice as old as our Sun.
- This is one of the most detail studies to date on a planet that is roughly the same size as Neptune and close to its star.
- India and Palestine sign five agreements for cooperation in different sectors.
- Edouard Philippe the new Prime Minister of France.
Current Affairs May 2017 News is that India and Palestine sign five agreements for cooperation in different sectors.
- India and Palestine sign a five-year agreement for cooperation in different areas including agriculture, health, and Information Technology.
- The agreements took an exchange after the delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Palestine President Mahmoud Abbas.
- Modi said that India and Palestine will work together for capacity building and Ramallah will be made an IT Hub.
Edouard Philippe the new Prime Minister of France.
- French President Emmanuel Macron names Edouard Philippe as the prime minister of the country.
- Edouard Philippe is a French lawyer and Politician.
- He serves as a member of the National Assembly representing the 7th constituency of Seine-Maritime.
- He works for the campaign of Alain Juppé in the primary of the right and center in 2016.
(May 2017 Current Affairs – Current Affairs of May 1st to 31st)
Current Affairs May 2017 PDF
Indian Army and Space Application Centre sign a MoU for Cooperation.
- Indian Navy and Ahmedabad based Space Application Centre signs a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Data Sharing and Scientific cooperation in the field of Meteorology and Oceanology.
- The MoU provides the creation of a common platform of mutual cooperation where SAC will be sharing its expertise in a number of areas including satellite data acquisition technology with the Indian Navy.
Use of SAC generated weather products
- Sharing of non-confidential observational data for sensor pre-launch calibration and post launch satellite data validation.
- Providing expertise for installation of various satellite data processing modules at Naval METOC organizations.
- Technology sharing to generate weather information.
World Metrological Organisation launches Year of Polar Prediction – Current Affairs May 2017
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the Helmholtz Center for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) officially announces the start of the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP).
- YOPP is one of the key elements of the Polar Prediction Project.
- The YOPP’s aims to enable a significant improvement in environmental prediction capabilities for the polar regions and beyond.
- It is done by coordinating a period of intensive observing, verification, modeling, user engagement and education activities.
Ovais Sarmad takes the appointment as the Deputy Executive Secretary of UNFCCC.
- Ovais Sarmad, a senior Indian official takes the appointment as the Deputy Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- At present, Ovais Sarmad serves as Staff chief to the Director General of the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
- He joined IOM in Geneva in 1990, where he served notably as chief of budget, director of resource management, director of the Global Administrative Centre and Chief of Mission to the Philippines.
- He holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from Hyderabad’s Osmania University.
Current Affairs May 2017 Information
To Curb financing terror organizations the US, six Gulf countries sign MoU.
- The United States and six Gulf countries sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to curb financing terror organizations like Islamic State, Al-Qaeda, Hizbollah, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Taliban and the Haqqani Network.
- The MoU was signed by the US president Donald Trump and six members of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
These six Gulf Countries are Bahrain, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
- All seven countries together aim to establish Terrorist Financing Targeting Center (TFTC).
- The Terrorist Financing Targeting Centre will increase existing tools and cooperation with partners in the Gulf to forcefully address evolving threats.
NASA names bacterium found on ISS after APJ Abdul Kalam.
- A team of scientists at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) names a new organism after A P J Abdul Kalam, a former President of India.
- The new organism is a bacterium, found only on the International Space Station (ISS) and has not been found on Earth.
- The bacterium is given a name as Solibacillus kalamii to honor the late president APJ Abdul Kalam, who was also an aerospace scientist.
Current Events Updates – May 2017 Current Affairs
ISRO and NASA collaborate to build the Earth-imaging satellite NISAR – Current Affairs May 2017
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) have collaborated to build a satellite called NISAR.
- The satellite will help scientists to monitor the Earth like never before.
- The expanded form of NISAR is NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar, scheduled to be launched in 2021.
- The estimated cost of the radar is more than 1.5 billion dollars and it could possibly be the world’s most expensive Earth imaging satellite.
- The mission aims to observe Earth and establish a pathway for future joint missions for Mars exploration.