Job Seekers who are looking for latest updates in May month can get information from this Current Affairs May 2018. Aspirants can make use of this May 2018 Current Affairs to prepare for competitive exams. We are providing all National, International and other updates in this Current Affairs 2018 May. Candidates can download the May Current Affairs 2018 PDF for free on this page. This May Current Affairs Contains daily updates happening around the world.
Current Affairs May 2018 – Date-wise Collections
May 2018 Current Affairs – Daily Updates
May Current Affairs – Important News Updates
China removes import duties on 28 medicines; India to get the boost.
- China said it has removed import duties on as many as 28 medicines, including all cancer drugs, from May 1.
- It has exempted import tariffs (duties) for 28 drugs, including all cancer drugs, from May 1st.
- Good news for India’s pharmaceutical industry and medicine export to China.
China installs cruise missiles on South China Sea outposts, says report.
- China has installed anti-ship cruise missiles and surface-to-air missile systems on three of its outposts in the South China Sea.
- The installations, if confirmed, would mark the first Chinese missile deployments in the Spratly islands, where several Asian countries including Vietnam and Taiwan have rival claims.
- China’s defence ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest report.
Virat Kohli to play for Surrey in English County.
- India captain Virat Kohli officially inked his deal with top English Countryside Surrey starting in July.
- While Kohli joining the London-based team was an open secret, the county officially announced the deal today on their official website.
- With Kohli playing three county championship matches in June, he is all set to miss the historic first-ever Test match against Afghanistan scheduled in Bengaluru from June 14-18.
New Zealand weighing first Pakistan cricket tour since 2003.
- New Zealand says they are considering their first cricket tour to Pakistan since 2003.
- But Australia on Thursday shut the door on an appearance in the insurgency-wracked country.
- It is carrying out “due diligence” after a request to play a Twenty20 game in Pakistan, where the team hotel in Karachi was hit by a deadly suicide blast in 2002.
- Pakistan will host tours by Australia and New Zealand in October and November.
Current Affairs May 2018
Fort, Marine Drive set to get Unesco world heritage tag.
- The city’s cluster of Victorian and Art Deco buildings in the Fort and Marine Drive heritage is just a step away from being declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.
- The recommendation will now be at Unesco’s 42nd World Heritage Committee meeting in Bahrain next month.
- The Victorian and Art Deco ensemble of Mumbai will become the city’s third World Heritage Site (the other two are CST and the Elephanta Caves).
- Lambah had first mooted the idea of pushing Mumbai’s heritage treasure at a Unesco conference for the Asia Pacific back in 2004.
Singapore-Kuala Lumpur is world’s busiest international air route.
- The trip between Singapore and the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur is the world’s busiest international air route.
- It has more than 30,500 flights between the cities in the year to February, a new study showed.
- There were on average 84 flights daily making the short hop which takes about an hour, according to the study by air travel intelligence firm OAG.
- Asia dominated the list of the world’s 20 busiest international air routes, with 14 operating to and from destinations in the region, Britain-based OAG said.
Walmart, Alphabet together may buy over 70% in Flipkart.
- India’s largest online retailer Flipkart is set to sell more than 70% stake to Walmart and Google’s parent Alphabet.
- In a deal which will value the company at $20 billion, multiple people familiar with the development said.
- Amazon, which was also in the race to acquire a substantial stake in Flipkart, did not find favour from most of the company investors.
May 2018 current Affairs Updates
Railways may soon switch to AC coaches on suburban routes.
- The Railways may start manufacturing only air-conditioned coaches for its suburban routes after the phenomenal response to the first AC local train in Mumbai.
- While the public transport behemoth plans to convert 80 Mumbai local trains into partially air-conditioned ones.
- The cost of AC coaches is 30% more than normal coaches and in the case of EMU, it is slightly more.
US oil rises above $70 for the first time since November 2014.
- The US oil prices rose above $70 a barrel on Monday for the first time since November 2014.
- US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures rose 0.7 percent to trade at $70.18 per barrel at 0242 GMT, up 46 cents from their last settlement.
- Brent crude oil futures were at $75.22 per barrel, up 35 cents, or 0.5 percent from their last close.
HPCL begins home-delivery of diesel – Current Affairs May 2018
- After IOC, state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) has launched home-delivery of diesel in Mumbai.
- HP Fuel Connect’ will “deliver diesel to select customers having the fixed equipment, heavy machinery in their premises in surrounding areas of Uran, Raigad in Maharashtra.
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) had in March launched home-delivery of diesel in Pune.
Patanjali makes the highest bid for broke Ruchi Soya.
- Baba Ramdev-led Patanjali Ayurved says it has made the highest offer for the debt-ridden edible oil and soya foods maker Ruchi Soya.
- Ruchi Soya faces claims of Rs 12,000 crore and was into the auction process as part of the government’s drive to clear bad loans.
- Patanjali Ayurved has made a bid of Rs 4,000-4,500 crore for Ruchi Soya, beating Adani Wilmar, Godrej Agrovet and Emami’s offers.
Current Affairs May 2018 Updates
Smriti Irani to lead the eight-member panel to Cannes.
- An eight-member delegation led by I&B minister Smriti Irani will represent India at the Cannes Film Festival starting today.
- Showcasing the “best” of Indian cinema, the delegation will take four Indian films to what is known as the world’s largest film market.
- The delegation will be the first since 2002-2003 when Sushma Swaraj was I&B minister.
- It will look at expanding India’s footprint in the co-production treaty market.
Vladimir Putin takes an oath of office for the 4th term as Russian president – Current Affairs May 2018
- Vladimir Putin has taken the oath of office for his fourth term as Russian president, in a ceremony in an ornate Kremlin hall glimmering with gold leaf.
- Putin won the six-year term in March elections where he tallied 77 percent of the vote.
- Putin effectively has been the leader of Russia for all of the 21st century.
- He stepped down from the presidency in 2008 because of term limits.
- But was named the prime minister and continued to steer the country until he returned as president in 2012.
Veteran Franck Ribery signs Bayern extension until 2019.
- Veteran winger Franck Ribery, 35, has signed a one-year extension to stay at Bayern Munich until 2019.
- Ribery joined Bayern in 2007, scoring 80 goals in 247 Bundesliga appearances.
- He has won the German league title for a joint record eighth time this season.
May 2018 Current Affairs
Haryana CM meets Israel president, discusses farmers’ issues.
- Haryana chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar called on the President of Israel, Reuven Rivlin, at his residence in Jerusalem.
- He applauded the efforts made by the chief minister to improve the life of farmers in Haryana.
- Recalling his visit to Gharounda in Haryana in November last year, the President said that the state is doing a wonderful job in every field of development, right from agriculture to industry.
Mahathir, 92, to be sworn in as Malaysia prime minister after historic poll win.
- Malaysia’s Mahathir Mohamad will be sworn in as the world’s oldest elected leader on Thursday.
- After his opposition alliance pulled off a stunning election win, ending six decades of rule by a coalition he once led.
- Mahathir led the Southeast Asian nation for 22 years and his unexpected return to the prime ministership ends the previously unbroken rule of Barisan Nasional.
Walmart picks up 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion.
- India’s largest e-commerce company Flipkart on Wednesday agreed to sell 77 per cent stake to US retail giant Walmart for $16 billion.
- Walmart will pay approximately $16 billion for an initial stake of approximately 77 percent in Flipkart.
- Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal will exit the company and sell his entire 5.5 percent stake to Walmart.
- Walmart also plans to pump $2 billion (nearly Rs 13,000 crore) as fresh equity into Flipkart to strengthen its hold on the e-commerce firm.
Current Affairs May 2018 Updates
Indian Army tests ‘Air Cavalry’ concept.
- The Indian Army has tested in the desert terrain of Rajasthan the military concept of ‘Air Cavalry’ that was used by the US Army.
- To enhance its defence capabilities, the Army tested the concept under which weaponised helicopters carry out combined action against the enemy.
- This being done by the Indian Army, with an eye on the future, which is focusing on strengthening its combative air assets by procuring attack helicopters.
German online bank uses Bitcoins to transfer loans – Current Affairs May 2018
- German Radoslav Albrecht has founded an online bank that allows clients to transfer loans anywhere in the world using Bitcoin.
- Bitbond uses cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin to bypass the Swift international transfer system to lend money across the globe rapidly and at low cost.
- Bitcoin is used as collateral for loans, but never as a way of transferring credit in currency internationally.
Neymar wins French player of the year prize.
- Neymar was named as France’s player of the year at an awards ceremony in Paris on Sunday.
- The Paris Saint-German superstar took the prize despite missing the last three months of the season due to injury.
- The world’s most expensive player scored 19 goals in just 20 league games for PSG before suffering a foot injury in February.
- Neymar, who joined in PSG’s Ligue 1 title celebrations on Saturday night, refused to discuss his future after collecting his award.
May 2018 Current Affairs Updates
BJP’s Yeddyurappa sworn in as Karnataka chief minister.
- BJP legislature party leader B S Yeddyurappa was today sworn in as the chief minister of Karnataka.
- The veteran politician took the oath of office “in the name of God and farmer” while sporting a green shawl draped on his shoulders, a nod to farmer activism in Karnataka.
- The BJP has 104 MLAs in the House, eight short of the magic figure of 112. The Congress-JD(S) combine enjoys the support of 117 MLAs.
- Yeddyurappa has 15 days to prove his majority in the state legislative assembly.
Nepali Sherpa summits Mount Everest for the record 22nd time – Current Affairs May 2018
- A 48-year-old Nepali mountaineer climbed Mount Everest for a 22nd time on Wednesday.
- Creating a new record for the most summits of the world’s highest mountain.
- Kami Rita Sherpa reached the 8,850-meter summit via the Southeast Ridge route, accompanied by 13 other climbers including his clients.
Griezmann fires Atletico Madrid to Europa League title.
- Antoine Griezmann was the hero for Atletico Madrid over Marseille in Wednesday’s Europa League final in Lyon.
- It is Griezmann’s first major title with Atletico, and a fitting way to bow out if he leaves at the season’s end, with Barcelona tipped as his next destination.
- Griezmann now has 29 goals this season, although it was Gabi’s late strike that sealed the victory.
Current Affairs May 2018 News
President Ram Nath Kovind to inaugurate Global Exhibition on Services-2018.
- President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the Global Exhibition on Services-2018 in Mumbai this morning.
- He will also launch 12 champion sectors in services. 25 Indian states and around 100 countries are expected to participate in Global Exhibition on Services.
- He will also visit the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, where he will be attending an exhibition on Department of Atomic Energy technologies and inaugurate DAE facilities in Trombay, Mumbai.
Bharti Airtel Completes Acquisition of Telenor India – Current Affairs May 2018
- The government has approved the merger of the local unit of Norway’s Telenor with Bharti Airtel, clearing the last hurdle for the deal to go through.
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) had transferred all licences and liabilities of Telenor India to Bharti Airtel.
- Airtel will begin integrating Telenor India’s operations across seven circles- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West) and Assam.
Renowned physicist Dr E C G Sudarshan passes away at 86.
- Ennackal Chandy George Sudarshan, the professor at the Texas University and acclaimed scientist, passed away in Texas.
- The renowned physicist E C G Sudarshan, who proved Albert Einstein wrong, was recommended for the Nobel Prize nine times but never awarded.
- The 86-year-old physicist was born in Kottayam on September 16, 1931.
May Current Affairs 2018 Updates
PM-Putin meet elevates ties to ‘spl privileged strategic partnership’.
- Bilateral and global issues jostled for space during an informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- The concept of “Indo-Pacific” is something pushed by US, India and the “quad” countries, but not China, currently Russia’s closest partner.
- In his welcome remarks, Putin said a lot of momentum had been added to the bilateral relationship and placed it firmly in the strategic/defence sphere.
Pakistan general election proposed on July 25-27.
- Pakistan’s Election Commission on Monday recommended holding the general election in the country between July 25 and 27.
- The announcement came just days before the term of the PML-N government is set to expire on May 31.
- The process to select a caretaker set up was on with Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi holding talks with Leader of Opposition Khurshid Shah.
Iraq to host first international football tournament.
- Iraq is to host a West Asia Football Federation championship in the southern city of Basra in November.
- It is the first international tournament to take place in the country.
- For years, Iraq has been busily building and upgrading stadiums and campaigning for its return to the international fold.
- Iraq has not played competitive internationals on home turf since its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
Current Affairs May 2018 Updates
The Indo-Bangladesh border will be sealed by December: Sarbananda Sonowal.
- The Centre is building walls on the water to seal the 48.11-kilometre river portion of the 263-kilometre-long Indo-Bangladesh stretch.
- Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal said that the border will be completely sealed by December-end.
- Sealing the India-Bangladesh border was one of our poll promises. The border will be completely sealed by December 31 this year.
Putin picks ex-deputy PM Rogozin as head of space agency – Current Affairs May 2018
- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday picked former Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin as head of the space agency Roscosmos.
- Over the past few years, the Russian space industry has suffered a series of setbacks including the loss of a number of satellites and other spacecraft.
- As deputy prime minister between 2011 and May 2018, Rogozin was responsible for overseeing the defence and space industries.
Ireland’s Ed Joyce retires from cricket.
- Dual international Ed Joyce on Thursday announced his retirement from all forms of cricket less than a fortnight after realising his dream of playing a Test for Ireland.
- The 39-year-old was one of the 11 men who made history against Pakistan in Malahide earlier this month when Ireland became the 11th Test-playing nation.
- Joyce played a total of 78 one day internationals 17 for his adopted country of England and 18 Twenty20 internationals, two for England.
- He returned to the Irish fold in time for the 2011 World Cup and became the side’s senior player as well as one of the most reliable batsmen.
May 2018 Current Affairs
Aspirants can view the latest updates of Current Affairs May 2018 from the above article. Make use of the May Current Affairs 2018 which will help you to gain more General Knowledge. In Current Affairs 2018 May we are providing you with the important National, International and other Updates. May Current Affairs 2018 will contain all the information that you are looking for. Reading the Current Affairs 2018 May will be helpful in getting more marks in all competitive exams.