Daily Current Affairs May 23
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 23
SP has the highest income among 32 regional parties, shows study.
- The total income of 32 regional political parties in 2016-17 was Rs 321 crore with the Samajwadi Party (SP) getting the highest at Rs 82.7 crore, says a report.
- These regional parties declared a total expenditure of Rs 435.48 crore during the year, ADR added in the report.
- SP reported having the highest income of Rs 82.76 crore, which forms over 25% of the total income of all 32 regional parties.
- Followed by TDP (Telugu Desam Party) with an income of Rs 72.92 crore and AIADMK Rs 48.88 crore.
Rahul Gandhi to pay tribute to slain farmers at Mandsaur on June 6.
- Congress president Rahul Gandhi will come to the state on June 6 to pay homage to the farmers killed in police firing on the same day at Mandsaur last year.
- The AICC president will arrive at the Pipliya Mandi, where six farmers were killed in the police firing last year.
- The function, however, will not be under the Congress’s banner since 190 farmers’ organisations will gather at Pipliya Mandi in Mandsaur to pay tribute to slain farmers.
Hardik Patel to organise ‘Maha Panchayat’ on May 26 for Patidar quota.
- Patidar quota spearheads Hardik Patel on Tuesday issued an open letter asking the Patel community members and leaders to attend a “Maha Panchayat” to be organised on May 26.
- Patel also shot off two letters to state BJP chief Jitu Vaghani and the Congress’ leader of opposition in the assembly, Paresh Dhanani.
- Patel asked the Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS) leaders across the state to reach the venue on May 26.
Brahmos successfully test-fired for the 2nd consecutive day.
- The BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was successfully test-fired from an integrated test range in Odisha’s coastal Balasore district for the second consecutive day.
- The missile took a launch from a mobile autonomous launcher at 11.45 hours and it successfully flew in its pre-set trajectory.
- Brahmos is a joint venture between India’s DRDO and NPO Mashinostroyenia (NPOM) of Russia.
- It has a maximum speed of Mach 2.8 to 3, and it is believed to be one of the world’s fastest cruise missiles currently in operational use.
PM Modi, Sheikh Hasina to hold bilateral talks at Santiniketan on May 25.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina will address the convocation at the Visva-Bharati University and hold bilateral talks there on May 25.
- The two leaders will also inaugurate the Bangladesh Bhavan at the university.
- Hasina will arrive in Kolkata on the morning of May 25, sources at the Bangladesh Deputy High Commission said.
- West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee will also attend the programme at the university founded by Rabindranath Tagore.
Reservation quota could go up after 2021 census: Nitish Kumar.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Tuesday said the quota for Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) could rise after the 2021 Census.
- Mr Kumar said this at Bagaha in West Champaran district, where he was attending a function organised by the members of the “Tharu” tribe.
- After the 2021 Census, the quota for SCs and STs may be hiked, in keeping with the rise in their population.
Latest International Current Affairs May 23 Updates from around the globe.
Israel says the first country to use US-made F-35 in combat.
- Norkin also displayed a photograph of an Israeli F-35 overflying Beirut, local media said.
- Israel is the first country to have used the U.S.-made F-35 stealth fighter in combat.
- Norkin also displayed a photograph of an Israeli F-35 overflying Beirut, local media said.
Norway to ban child marriage as it seeks to set a global example.
- Norway approved a law banning all child marriage on Tuesday, with campaigners saying it would set an example to others ahead of a global 2030 deadline.
- The Nordic country has a minimum age of 18, but allows 16- and 17-year-olds to marry with parental consent and permission from the county governor.
- “A marriage should always be based on full, free and informed consent,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Talks between North and South Korea likely after May 25: report.
- High-level talks between North and South Korea will likely resume after May 25, once joint U.S.-South Korea joint military drills get completes.
- North Korea last week cancelled at the last minute a meeting with senior South Korean officials in protest over joint exercises between Seoul and Washington.
BRICS Bank plans to launch Americas Regional Office in Brazil.
- The BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) is planning to launch its Americas Regional Office in Brazil this year.
- Kamath made the remarks while meeting with Brazilian Foreign Minister Aloysio Nunes Ferreira in Shanghai.
- The NDB was founded by the BRICS member countries Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa during the group’s sixth summit in Fortaleza.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 23 updates by reading the news.
Paytm buys TicketNew from Alibaba.
- It has acquired TicketNew a Chennai-based online ticketing startup in an all-stock deal to strengthen its entertainment ticketing business.
- Paytm Entertainment, run by the online payments major, has bought out the majority stake held by Alibaba Pictures.
- Alibaba, which is a major investor in Paytm’s parent One97 Communications, backed TicketNew a year ago with Rs 120 crore, in an all-cash deal.
SoftBank confirms selling ‘entire stake’ in Flipkart to Walmart.
- Japan’s SoftBank has decided to sell its over 20% stake in e-commerce major Flipkart to US retailer Walmart for an estimated US $4 billion.
- SoftBank confirms the sale of its entire stake in Flipkart to Walmart,” a SoftBank spokesperson said.
- While the spokesperson declined to spell out the details of the transaction, the company is estimated to rake in about the US $4 billion from the sale.
New York Stock Exchange names first woman chief in 226-year history.
- The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has named Stacey Cunningham its first female chief in the history of the 226-year-old exchange.
- Previously chief operating officer (COO), Cunningham replaces Tom Farley, who’s leaving the company, said Josh King.
- She worked at the exchange as a floor specialist for Banc of America Specialist Inc.
Internet Saathi reaches 15 million women: Google.
- After bridging the digital gender divide and empowering 15 million women in rural India.
- Google’s Internet Saathi programme is set to get expands into four new states.
- Launched as a pilot project in 2015 along with Tata Trusts, Internet Saathi focuses on educating women to use the internet who then impart training to other women.
- The programme has contributed towards bridging the digital gender divide in rural India with a female to male ratio rising from one in 10 in 2015 to three in 10 in 2017.
Current Affairs May 23 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
India out of Thomas Cup after losing 0-5 to China.
- Young but depleted Indian men’s badminton team crashed out of the Thomas Cup Final after losing 0-5 to heavyweights China.
- Sai Praneeth showed stomach to fight but H S Prannoy seemed completely off colour while the rest of the Indian shuttlers lacked the experience.
- World No. 9 Prannoy started the proceedings but he had a bad day in office as he was completely outplayed 9-21 9-21 by Olympic champion Chen Long in the opening match.
Bangladesh hires Kirsten to find the new coach.
- South African great Gary Kirsten, who coached India to World Cup success, said Tuesday he is helping rudderless Bangladesh quickly to find a coach ahead of a looming tour.
- Bangladesh has not had a coach since Sri Lankan Chandika Hathurusinghastepped down in October after a successful three-year stint.
- The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) appoints Kirsten as a consultant to help find a coach before a tour of the West Indies in July and August.
Coach Lopetegui’s contract with Spain extended until 2020.
- The Spanish soccer federation has extended the contract of national team coach Julen Lopetegui until 2020.
- The federation made the announcement Tuesday, less than a week before Spain begin its preparations for next month’s World Cup in Russia.
- Lopetegui took over as coach after the team’s elimination from the 2016 European Championship.
Harry Kane named England’s World Cup captain.
- Tottenham striker Harry Kane will be England’s captain at the World Cup in Russia, the Football Association.
- Manager Gareth Southgate has shared the leadership role around since taking over as manager in 2016.
- The 24-year-old has scored 12 goals in 23 international appearances, was first handed the armband for the qualifier against Scotland last June.
West Ham announces Manuel Pellegrini as the new manager.
- West Ham United appoints former Manchester City boss Pellegrini Allegrini as their new manager on a three-year deal.
- The 64-year-old Chilean left Chinese Super League outfit Hebei China Fortune on Saturday and replaces David Moyes.
- Sullivan says the appointment is made in mind the demands of supporters for the attacking football.
Links Related to Current Affairs May 23:
|Current Affairs | 22-May-2018||Current Affairs | 21-May-2018|
|May 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF April 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs May 23 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs May 23.