Daily Current Affairs May 5
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 5
Fort, Marine Drive set to get Unesco world heritage tag.
- The city’s cluster of Victorian and Art Deco buildings in the Fort and Marine Drive heritage is just a step away from being declared a Unesco World Heritage Site.
- The recommendation will now be tabled at Unesco’s 42nd World Heritage Committee meeting in Bahrain next month.
- The Victorian and Art Deco ensemble of Mumbai will become the city’s third World Heritage Site (the other two are CST and the Elephanta Caves).
- Lambah had first mooted the idea of pushing Mumbai’s heritage treasure at a Unesco conference for the Asia Pacific back in 2004.
Karnataka set to be the 5th state to grant farm loan waiver since last year.
- Karnataka state is going to be the fifth one in the latest round of waivers which started in UP last year.
- With three states UP, Maharashtra and Punjab have already implemented it as part of their poll promises.
- Rajasthan, which is going to polls later this year, also recently announced a waiver for small and marginal farmers.
- According to the recent report, UP has already waived off over Rs 36,000 crore farm loans after BJP took office last year.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on two-day Nepal visit from May 11.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on a two-day visit to Nepal from May 11, his third visit to the Himalayan state.
- This is also the first high-level visit from India since the formation of the new government led by Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli in Nepal.
- Modi’s visit to Nepal comes a little more than a month after Prime Minister Oli visited India. Oli had invited Modi to his country.
Modi will also be visiting the historic cities of Janakpur and Muktinath, apart from engagements in Kathmandu.
Sushma Swaraj meets Northeast CMs on ‘Act East Policy’.
- External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj on Friday interacted with the chief ministers of the eight states of the region.
- Speaking at the meeting state chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has put the development of Northeast region.
- He elaborated on the positional advantage of the region to become the new growth hub of trade, tourism, and cultural exchange.
13 projects worth Rs 100 crore & above underway in Maharashtra.
- The oil and gas sector in Maharashtra is in news these days with Saudi Aramco, the state-owned oil company of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- The proposed refinery is expected to process 1.2 million barrels of crude oil per day or around 60 million metric tonnes per annum.
- The total cost of the project is estimated to be close to Rs 2.9 lakh crore. But that is not the only one.
Latest International Current Affairs May 5 Updates from around the globe.
Saudi firm to set up 300 MW windmill project in Kutch.
- Saudi Arabia-based firm will be setting up a 300 megawatt (MW) windmill project in Kutch district of Gujarat.
- The proposed project is expected to come up about 50 kilometers, north-east of Bhuj.
- Alfanar had recently bagged the 300 MW wind project from the Solar Energy Corporation of India Limited.
Singapore-Kuala Lumpur is world’s busiest international air route.
- The trip between Singapore and the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur is the world’s busiest international air route.
- It has more than 30,500 flights between the cities in the year to February, a new study showed.
- There were on average 84 flights daily making the short hop which takes about an hour, according to the study by air travel intelligence firm OAG.
- Asia dominated the list of the world’s 20 busiest international air routes, with 14 operating to and from destinations in the region, Britain-based OAG said.
The US warns China of ‘consequences’ of the military buildup in the South China Sea.
- The US on Friday warned China that it would face “consequences” for the military buildup in the disputed South China Sea.
- White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said that the Trump administration has raised the issue with the Chinese leadership.
- The Pentagon has also expressed concern over the Chinese military buildup in the disputed waters.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 5 updates by reading the news.
India tops the list of fastest-growing economies for coming decade: Harvard study.
- India tops the list of the fastest growing economies in the world for the coming decade and is projected to grow at 7.9 percent annually.
- It has made inroads in diversifying its export base to include more complex sectors, such as chemicals, vehicles, and certain electronics.
- China is projected to grow at 4.9 percent annually to 2026, the US at 3 percent and France 3.5 percent.
Walmart, Alphabet together may buy over 70% in Flipkart.
- India’s largest online retailer Flipkart is set to sell more than 70% stake to Walmart and Google’s parent Alphabet.
- In a deal which will value the company at $20 billion, multiple people familiar with the development said.
- Amazon, which was also in the race to acquire a substantial stake in Flipkart, did not find favor from most of the company investors.
Instagram launches payments feature for brands, services.
- Facebook-owned Instagram has started testing a payment feature within the app. This feature is currently limited to certain users.
- The feature allows Instagram users to add a credit or debit card with their profile and set up a security pin.
- They can make purchases within the photo-sharing service and make payments without having to leave the site.
Google.org announces $3 million grants to Indian non-profits.
- Google.org – Google’s philanthropic arm announced additional grants of $3 million to Central Square Foundation and The Teacher App.
- Together with the partner Non-governmental organizations (NGOs), Google.org will help them scale their existing initiatives and fund content creation.
- The grant will support a minimum of 20 content creators to produce at least 200 hours of quality science, technology, engineering, and math content.
Current Affairs May 5 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Japan, Qatar get invites to 2019 Copa America in Brazil.
- The 2019 Copa America in Brazil will feature 10 teams from South America plus invited guests Japan and Qatar.
- Several nations have had special invitations since 1993, including Japan who played at the 1999 tournament in Paraguay.
- The Copa America, which started in 1916, is world’s oldest international soccer tournament. Next year’s hosts Brazil have not won the trophy since 2007.
Atletico coach Simeone banned for four matches.
- Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has been banned for four games for insulting a match official.
- Simeone has already served one match of the ban after watching from the stands on Thursday as Atletico beat Arsenal 1-0 in the second leg to advance to the final.
- UEFA’s Control, Ethics, and Disciplinary Body also fined Atletico 10,000 euros after fans threw objects on the pitch.
Caster Semenya breaks her own national 1500m record.
- Caster Semenya breaks her own South African record time at the Diamond League meeting in Doha on Friday.
- Semenya won in a world-leading time of three minutes and 59.92 seconds ahead of Nelly Jepkosgei of Kenya and Habitat Alemu of Ethiopia.
- She set a national and Commonwealth Games record of 4:00.71 in winning the gold medal last month.
Links Related to Current Affairs May 5:
|Current Affairs | 04-May-2018||Current Affairs | 03-May-2018|
|May 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF April 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs May 5 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs May 5.