Daily Current Affairs May 9
Have complete information about National News by reading below Current Affairs May 9
PM Modi’s third visit to Nepal in 4 years this week ‘to reset ties’.
- Nepal, with a long history of contentious relations with India, will host Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the third time in four years.
- Modi’s visit, coming barely a month after Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli’s trip to India, is intended to show that both sides want to move beyond the tough times.
- While Modi and Oli will jointly inaugurate the 900 MW Arun III hydroelectric project, India is concentrating on building the Raxaul-Kathmandu rail link.
- On a parallel track, Modi may find it a little more difficult to charm everyone as he had done in his previous visit.
PM Modi to inaugurate alternate route to Vaishno Devi Shrine on May 19.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will formally inaugurate Tarakote Marg, an alternate seven-kilometre track to the famous Vaishno Devi shrine.
- The board had approved in February 2011 Vohra’s proposal to construct an alternate track between Banganga and Adhkuwari.
- Chief Executive Officer of the board Umang Narula said the new track would be opened to pilgrims from the morning of May 13.
- The track is illuminated with 500 energy efficient LED lights beside DG sets have been installed for ensuring round the clock power supply, he added.
PM Modi likely to inaugurate Pakyong airport in Sikkim.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to commission the strategically important Pakyong airport in Sikkim.
- The greenfield airport, close to the capital city of Gangtok, received the aerodrome license from the Directorate General of Civil Aviation last Friday.
- The airport was approved by the Centre in 2008 and was constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 350 crore.
- The project is being billed as an engineering marvel it has been built at a height of 4,500 feet in an inhospitable terrain.
Andaman & Nicobar Command set to get IAF fighter base.
- Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) by permanently stationing fighter jets and other combat platforms on the islands.
- Ministry of Defence told that air bases in Car Nicobar and Campbell Bay have been identified as possible bases to station the IAF fighters.
- The IAF currently has only one Mi17V5 helicopter unit and two Dornier aircraft permanently stationed at ANC.
Madya Pradesh gets India’s first smart cities control centre.
- The Madhya Pradesh government launched the country’s first Integrated Control and Command Centre (ICCC) for all seven smart cities of the state in Bhopal.
- Bhopal, Indore, Ujjain, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Satna, and Sagar are the seven smart cities under SCM in Madhya Pradesh.
- They also inaugurated the first “Apex Conference for the CEOs” of smart cities. The 77 CEO’s will attend the seminar.
Latest International Current Affairs May 9 Updates from around the globe.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visits China, meets with Xi Jinping.
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has visited the Chinese city of Dalian to meet President Xi Jinping.
- The two discussed bilateral issues, with Xi telling Kim of his support of talks between North Korea and the United States.
- The visit followed a dramatic visit by Kim to Beijing in March and comes ahead of a planned summit meeting between Kim and US President Donald Trump.
The US pulls out from Iran nuclear deal.
- World powers involved in the Iran nuclear agreement expressed regret Tuesday at President Donald Trump’s decision to pull the US out of the landmark pact.
- Signatories to the 2015 deal to curb the Islamic republic’s nuclear ambitions urged Trump not to fundamentally undermine the UN Security Council.
- Asked whether the move might heighten tensions in the Middle East, he responded with one word to reporters at UN headquarters.
Check out the latest trending business Current Affairs May 9 updates by reading the news.
Walmart set to announce Flipkart deal today.
- Retail behemoth Walmart is going to make its boldest bet in India on Wednesday when it announces the acquisition of just over 70% stake in e-commerce player Flipkart.
- One of the largest M&A deals in India, which values Flipkart at $20 billion, will be made official in a town hall meeting at Flipkart’s headquarters in Bengaluru.
- On its part, Walmart will signal that it is retaining the Indian management led by co-founder Binny Bansal, apart from investing in creating back-end infrastructure.
L&T, BrahMos unveil naval launcher.
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and BrahMos Aerospace have unveiled a new quad launcher prototype.
- The new prototype provides superior firepower compared to the twin canister.
- It has the capability to launch four missiles in a single or salvo (simultaneous) mode.
- Besides, the quad launcher is suitable for warships which have space constraints to accommodate a vertical launch module.
Google aims to revive its IoT platform.
- Google on Monday launched a spinoff of its Android operating system for home appliances and other machines.
- Android Things’, which arrives as Google opens its annual conference for developers, could bring its Google Assistant virtual helper to refrigerators and robots.
- The goal is to enable them to be built faster, cheaper and more secure.
Elon Musk outlines plan to get into the brick-making business.
- Move over, candy and flamethrowers. Elon Musk tweeted out plans Monday for yet another side venture: alleviating the nation’s housing crisis.
- The Boring Company will be using dirt from tunnel digging to create bricks for low-cost housing,” he wrote in a tweet about his nascent tunnelling enterprise.
- The company plans to make bricks out of excavated mud from all Boring Co. tunnels, not just the one currently under construction in Hawthorne, California.
Current Affairs May 9 is bringing you with Records, titles and other updates from the world of sports.
Ajinkya Rahane to lead against Afghanistan.
- Rahane to lead Team India in the one-off Test against debutants Afghanistan in Bengaluru
- Karun Nair and Shardul Thakur also included for the Test starting June 14
- Ambati Rayudu was the replacement for the Kedar Jadhav for England ODI series
BCCI names Kohli for Ireland T20s despite county commitments.
- The national selection committee’s decision to name India skipper Virat Kohli for the two-match T20 series against Ireland.
- It has created confusion as it’s clashing with his county commitments for Surrey.
- India is set to play two T20’s against Ireland in Dublin’s Malahide on June 27 and 29.
- Kohli is scheduled to play his last county match for Surrey against Yorkshire at Scarborough from June 25 to 28.
PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth rested for Thomas and Uber Cup.
- A hugely depleted squad will head to the Thomas & Uber Cup in Bangkok with K Srikanth and PV Sindhu rested for the prestigious team event.
- India’s Uber Cup chances were struck a blow when doubles specialists Sikki Reddy went down with typhoid.
- In the absence of Srikanth, India still has HS Prannoy in fine touch, and Sai Praneeth and Sameer Verma as well as Lakshya Sen for their group battles.
Links Related to Current Affairs May 9:
|Current Affairs | 08-May-2018||Current Affairs | 07-May-2018|
|May 2018 Current Affairs||Current Affairs PDF April 2018|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current updates from above links. You can read some latest Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Make use of our Current Affairs May 9 and current affairs India 2018 for better scoring in exams. Users will be benefited with the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in this Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This current affairs daily page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru. Make use of Current Affairs May 9.