Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
Kerala govt extends reservation to forward class.
- Kerala government decided to provide reservation to economically backward sections in forwarding communities in appointments to five Devaswom boards of the state.
- Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan said 10% reservation would be given to the economically weak in these communities for recruitment in the Devaswom boards.
- With the latest announcement, the Ezhava community’s reservation would go up to 17 percent from 14 percent and that of SC/ST to 12% from 10%.
- CM Says that the reservation of backward communities other than Ezhava would be 6%. It was 3% earlier.
New GST rates got effective from November 15.
- Over 200 items, most of them used for daily use, are set to get cheaper and restaurant bills to come down.
- The GST Council in its 23rd meeting last week approved the biggest ever change to the tax rates since the new indirect tax regime came into effect from July 1.
- Under the changes, effective from November 15, 178 everyday items will get taxed at the lower rate of 18 percent, from the 28 percent.
- Many companies have said that they will pass on the GST rate cut benefits to consumers but there will be a transition time before new price stocks are available in the market.
- In another significant change, the GST Council lowered the tax rate of restaurants to a uniform 5 percent from 12 percent on non-AC restaurants and 18 percent on air-conditioned one
Current Affairs Today – More National News
R Lalzirliana says around 400 Arakan refugees have entered Mizoram – Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
- Mizoram, state home minister R Lalzirliana says around 400 people from conflict-torn Arakan in Myanmar have taken refuge in Mizoram.
- He also explained that the ongoing armed encounter between militant group Arakan Army (AA) and the Myanmar Army.
- He said the encounter resulted in around 400 people came to take shelter in Mizoram’s Lawngtlai district.
India-led solar alliance to add 1,000GW of energy by 2030.
- The India-led International Solar Alliance (ISA) plans to add 1,000 gigawatts (GW) of solar power across the globe by 2030 with an investment of nearly 1,200 billion euros.
- ISA’s future plans were made public in Bonn on the sidelines of the UN climate change conference.
- The alliance was jointly launched by PM Modi and the then French President Francois Hollande in Paris on November 30, 2015
- Ministry of new and renewable energy Anand Kumar said the current installed global capacity of solar power is around 303GW, including 12GW in India.
- Nearly 75GW of solar power was added globally in 2016.
International Affairs – November 16th Current Affairs
China’s strict conditions force Pakistan to drop PoK dam project in CPEC.
- Pakistan has withdrawn its bid to include the USD 14 billion Diamer-Bhasha Dam in PoK in the CPEC framework after China placed strict conditions.
- Pakistan has been struggling to raise money from international institutions like the World Bank.
- It is struggling to get money for the project on the Indus River in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir which India is opposing.
- The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), a part of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), runs through PoK and India has raised an objection to the project.
- Neither the World Bank and Asian Development Bank (ADB) nor China would finance the dam.
Lockheed Martin’s CH-53K chopper to debut at Berlin air show – Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
- The US military has approved Lockheed Martin Corp’s new CH-53K heavy-lift helicopter to fly at the Berlin air show next April.
- It will mark the CH-53K’s international debut at the time when a German helicopter competition could start heating up again.
- The German defence ministry is nearing the kickoff of a competition valued at nearly 4 billion euros.
Leonardo da Vinci painting sells for record $450 million in NY.
- A 500-year-old painting believed to be by Leonardo da Vinci sold for $450.3 million in New York.
- It smashed a new world record for the most expensive work of art sold at auction.
- The painting is one of fewer than 20 Da Vinci paintings generally accepted as being from the Renaissance master’s own hand.
Today Current Affairs November 16 2017 – Business Updates
Airbus got biggest ever contract in its history.
- Airbus has secured the biggest-ever order in its history to supply 430 of its medium-range A320 family of aircraft to US investment firm Indigo Partners.
- The contract will more than double Airbus’s current order book for this year, which had stood at 288 planes at the end of October.
- It will also place Airbus, with a total 718 orders this year, ahead of its arch-rival Boeing which has 605 orders.
Centre decides to switch to BS-VI fuels from April.
- Delhi will run on BS-VI (Bharat Stage-VI) grade petrol and diesel from April 1 next year.
- The country currently runs on BS-IV grade fuels and was to switch over to BS-VI grade from April 1, 2020.
UC Browser vanishes from Google Play Store in India – Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
- One of the world’s most popular web browser, UC Browser which is owned by China’s Alibaba Group has mysteriously disappeared from Google Play Store.
- The app has vanished just days after it claimed to cross 500 million downloads on Google Play Store.
- UC Browser is India’s leading mobile internet browser with 50% market share followed by Google’s Chrome and Opera browser.
Kinetic’s Motoroyale ties up with British firm Norton Motorcycles.
- Kinetic group’s multi-brand initiative Motoroyale and British marquee brand Norton Motorcycles has made a tie up.
- The JV will assemble and distribute Norton bikes in India as well as in South Asia and Asian.
- The Norton JV in which Motoroyale has 51% stake is the most important business in the Ajinkya Firodia helmed company which is a multi-brand initiative.
Latest Current Events – Important Business Affairs
Delhi’s Khan market is world’s 24th most expensive retail hotspot.
- According to Cushman and Wakefield report, Delhi’s Khan market has emerged as the most expensive retail location in India and has clinched the 24th position in global rankings.
- In the 2016 report, the market got a rank of 28th.
- The survey took into consideration over 400 retail locations globally across 66 countries for the annual survey.
Firefox chooses Google as default search engine – Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
- Alphabet Inc’s Google became the default search engine on Mozilla Corp’s Firefox Internet browser in the United States.
- The search provider switch comes as Mozilla launched Firefox Quantum, a faster, new version of the browser.
- Mozilla’s chief business and legal officer Denelle Dixon says Google will be Firefox’s default search provider on desktop and mobile in the United States, Canada, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Science and Technology Events – Daily Current Affairs
European southern observatory found a new planet that could support life.
- The European Southern Observatory says a new extrasolar system planet can be added to a handful of fellow exoplanets which could theoretically support life.
- The ESO said it had discovered the planet, Ross 128b, orbiting a star within the constellation of Virgo.
- Several thousand exoplanets have been discovered to date but only around 50 are considered to be potentially habitable.
16th November 2017 Current Affairs – Sports News
Jehan Daruvala to take part in Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix.
- The Sahara Force India Academy racer will now make his Macau Grand Prix debut this weekend at the FIA F3 World Cup.
- Jehan Daruvala became the first Indian to win an FIA Formula 3 European Championship race earlier this year.
Italy sacked its coach Gian Piero Ventura after a world cup qualify failure – Today Current Affairs November 16 2017
- Gian Piero Ventura was sacked as Italy coach on Wednesday after the four-time champions failed to reach the World Cup finals.
- The 69-year-old had refused to resign despite a 1-0 aggregate play-off defeat to Sweden on Monday.
- It saw Italy miss the World Cup for the first time in 60 years
Latest Current Affairs Search Links:
|Questions | Today Current Affairs||Quiz | Today Current Affairs|
|Current Affairs | 15-Nov-2017||Current Affairs Quiz | 15-Nov-2017|
|Current Affairs October 2017||Current Affairs PDF Oct 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.