Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
Congress election for party president to take place on December 16.
- The Congress Working Committee (CWC) announced that election for the post of president will be held December 16 with the counting of votes scheduled for December 19.
- The Congress Working Committee today passed a resolution to make Rahul Gandhi party president.
- Rahul, currently party vice president, is the only candidate in the fray.
- The party’s organizational election must be completed before December 31.
IIT Kharagpur alumnus among World’s Top 50 Thinkers in 2017.
- The Thinkers50, a global ranking of management thinkers, has named quality guru Subir Chowdhury among the world’s top 50 thinkers for the year 2017.
- IIT Kharagpur alumnus Chowdhury is currently the chairman and CEO of ASI Consulting Group, LLC.
- The Thinkers50 will publish the list for every two years, the ranking is a guide to which thinkers and which ideas matter now.
First Indo-Myanmar joint military exercise begins in Meghalaya.
- A group of 15 officers from the Myanmarese army started a six-day bilateral military exercise with their counterparts from the Indian Army in Meghalaya.
- This is the first ever joint training of the troops from the two neighbouring countries.
- The India-Myanmar Bilateral Military Exercise 2017 (IMBAX-2017) will take place at the recently created Joint Training Node of the Indian Army at Umroi, 30km away from Meghalaya capital’s Shillong.
- The exercise aims to train officers of Myanmar Army in various United Nations peacekeeping roles and task.
Current Affairs Today – More National Updates
Sri Lankan prime minister to meet PM Modi today – Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
- The Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe will be in New Delhi this week for talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Sri Lanka has become an important partner for India both in the neighbourhood and in the Indian Ocean region.
- Wickremesinghe will sign a MoU with India regarding developing energy and infrastructure projects in the eastern port district of Trincomalee.
- Ahead of his visit, Wickremesinghe had said that he hopes to boost economic ties with India.
India drops a plan to buy Israeli Spike anti-tank missiles.
- India drops the plans to buy Spike anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) systems worth Rs 3,200 crore from Israel.
- Instead of buying India asked the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to develop the ATGMs for the army’s infantry and mechanised infantry units to provide impetus to the Make in India plan.
- India was negotiating the purchase of 321 launchers and 8,356 fire-and-forget missiles with Israeli firm Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Ltd.
International News – November 21st 2017 Current Affairs
New long-range missile likely to be introduced into China’s PLA next year.
- China’s next-generation ballistic missile with a proclaimed ability to hit targets anywhere in the world may be inducted into the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) early next year.
- The new missile the Dongfeng-41 also has a speed of more than Mach 10 and can use decoy devices.
- The missile which underwent another test the eighth since it was first announced in 2012 could be in the People Liberation Army’s line-up as early as the first half of 2018.
Qatar says it has US backing in lingering crisis with Saudis.
- Qatar’s foreign minister said the tiny emirate has U.S. backing to resolve the ongoing crisis with a Saudi-led alliance.
- Four countries in the Saudi-led bloc severed diplomatic and transport links with Qatar in June.
- There is been accusing it of backing extremist groups, a charge Doha has repeatedly denied.
- Meanwhile, mediation attempts by Kuwait and the U.S. have failed to settle the spat with the Saudi-led bloc and Qatar.
Today Current Affairs November 21 2017 – Business Affairs
Govt looks to cut GST on white goods.
- After consumer products and other daily-use items, the government is now looking to reduce goods and services tax (GST) on consumer durables like washing machines and refrigerators from the current level of 28% as part of the next round of rationalisation.
- The move is expected to help push demand in the sector, amid repeated complaints of a slowdown.
- Last week, GST rates on restaurants, other than those in five-star hotels, were slashed from 18% to 5%.
- The cut came along with a reduction in levies for over 200 items, with 178 of them being from the top slab of 28%.
Tesla launches power bank for Android and iOS devices – Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
- Electric car maker Tesla introduced a power bank for Android phones and iPhones.
- Priced at $45 (Rs 3,000 approximately), the Tesla power bank features USB, micro USB and Apple lightning ports.
- The Tesla Powerbank looks similar to Intex IT-PB 2.5 k Power bank and various other portable chargers.
Nilekani joins Bill Gates at philanthropy high table.
- Infosys chairman Nandan Nilekani and wife Rohini have signed the Giving Pledge pioneered by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
- They signed the Giving Pledge in the reflection of the growing enlightenment about philanthropy among India’s rising tribe of billionaires.
- Signatories to the initial commit to give away at least half of their wealth either in their lifetime or through their will.
- The only other Indians to have signed the Giving Pledge are Azim Premji of Wipro, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw of Biocon and PNC Menon of Sobha Developers.
Appointment Updates – Latest Current Affairs
Indian nominee Bhandari re-elected as ICJ judge – Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
- India’s nominee to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) Dalveer Bhandari was re-elected to the last seat of the world court after Britain withdrew its candidate from the election.
- It will be the first time since the ICJ was established in 1945 that there will be no British judge.
- Bhandari and Britain’s Christopher Greenwood were locked in a neck-and-neck fight for re-election to the ICJ.
Rahul Rawail takes the appointment as IFFI jury chief.
- Director Rahul Rawail takes the appointment as head of a jury for the 48th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), which took off in Goa.
- Last week, Sujoy Ghosh made resign from the post of jury head of the Indian Panorama Section of the Goa film festival.
Ira Joshi takes the appointment as Doordarshan News director general.
- Press Information Bureau director-general Ira Joshi takes the appointment as the director general of Doordarshan News following the retirement of Veena Jain.
- PIB director general Ghanshyam Goel got a new role of director general of Directorate of Advertising and Visual Publicity.
- Jain, who was appointed as the Doordarshan News DG in May 2015, had retired in August this year.
Current Affairs November 21st 2017 – Sports Events
Shiva Keshavan qualifies for 2018 Winter Olympics.
- Indian luger Shiva Keshavan qualified for the PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018 after earning the necessary five points at the ongoing Viessmann Luge World Cup 2017-18.
- The three-time Asian Cup gold medalist will make his sixth Winter Olympics appearance.
- Keshavan, who is also the President of the Olympians’ Association of India, is the first Indian to have qualified for PyeongChang 2018 in Luge.
Shreyasi wins women’s double trap gold at Shotgun Nationals – Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
- Shreyasi Singh bagged a gold, her second individual medal at the 61st National Shotgun Championship.
- Representing Bihar, Singh defeated Varsha Varman of Madhya Pradesh 92-87 to finish on the top of the podium.
- Singh had earlier won the bronze medal in women’s trap event.
West Brom sacks their manager Tony Pulis.
- West Bromwich Albion sacked manager Tony Pulis on Monday after a miserable run of form.
- Pulis has had just two wins in his last 21 Premier League games and the club sit just one place above the relegation zone.
Obituary News – Today Current Affairs November 21 2017
Congress leader Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi passes away.
- Congress leader and former Union minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, an influential politician from Bengal known for his oratorical skills passes away at the age of 72.
- Dasmunsi was in a coma since 2008 after suffering a severe heart attack and stroke that left his left side totally paralysed.
- Dasmunsi first entered Parliament in 1971. He served as the Union minister of parliamentary affairs and the minister of information and broadcasting from 2004 to 2008.
- He represented the Raiganj constituency in West Bengal in the Lok Sabha.
Latest Current Affairs Search Links:
|Questions | Today Current Affairs||Quiz | Today Current Affairs|
|Current Affairs | 20-Nov-2017||Current Affairs Quiz | 20-Nov-2017|
|Current Affairs October 2017||Current Affairs PDF Oct 2017|
|Current Affairs 2017 & 2016||Current Affairs Quiz 2017 & 2016|
Candidates hoping to get Government Jobs can get more details about the Current affairs from above links. You can read daily Current Affairs, and attempt Current Affairs Quiz which helps you to crack various Competitive Exams. Use these links to strengthen your General Knowledge Quotient. Users will be benefited from the free month wise Current Affairs PDF and Updates available for download. The Free Quizzes & GK Questions available in Current Affairs Section will benefit all the career hopefuls to get their desired Sarkari Naukri. This Daily Current Affairs page is well created by the dedicated team members of recruitment.guru.