This site is specially designed to provide the information on various aspects of the Indian history. We have tried our level best to cover most of the related topics regarding Indian history. We hope this information on the Indian History Questions and Answers will be the kick start to take the Indian history quiz. Indian History basic questions has written to help those who are preparing for competitive exams. Read the article completely and take the quiz on Indian History to score well.
General Knowledge Questions on Indian History
“India is the combination of the variety of human races, mother of Indian history, the birthplace of human speech, great-grandmother of tradition, the grandmother of legend. The well dignified, valuable and most attractive and noted materials in the history of man lies in India only”.
Indian History GK Questions and Answers pdf – Indian History Questions
Indian History: Indian History is a topic of interest to many people in India including foreigners because of the cultures and civilizations which existed in this sub-continent. History of India can be studied under political, cultural, religious or economic heads.
History of India
Indian History can be classified into three periods
- Ancient India
- Medieval India
- Modern India
Ancient India (Pre-historic to AD 700)
- The History of India begins with the Indus Valley Civilization and the coming of the Aryans.
- These two phases are generally names has the pre-Vedic and Vedic periods.
- Ancient India can have a study under other heads like Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic and Chalcolithic period based on the type of stone/ metal tools people used.
Paleolithic Period (2 million BC – 10,000 BC)
- In Paleolithic, the discovery of Period Fire has taken place.
- In this period tools design is done by using limestone.
- Important Paleolithic sites: Bhimbetka (M.P), Hunsgi, Kurnool Caves, Narmada Valley (Hathnora, M.P), Kaladgi Basin
Mesolithic Period (10,000 BC – 8,000 BC)
- Major Climatic Change happened during this period
- Domestication of animals ie Cattle rearing started
- Microliths found at Brahmagiri (Mysore), Narmada, Vindya, Gujarat
Neolithic Period (8000 BC – 4,000 BC)
- During this period Agriculture Started
- The discovery of Wheel has taken place in this period
- Important Neolithic Sites : Burzahom(Kashmir), Gufkral(Kashmir), Mehrgarh(Pakistan), Chirand(Bihar), Daojali Hading(Tripura/Assam), Koldihwa(UP), Mahagara(UP), Hallur(AP), Paiyampalli(AP), Maski, Kodekal, Sangana Kaller, Utnur, Takkala Kota.
Brief history of India
Chalcolithic Period (4000 BC – 1,500 BC)
- This age is called as Copper Age.
- It is a part of Bronze Age.
- Indus Valley Civilization (BC 2700 – BC 1900).
- Also cultures at Brahmagiri, Navada Toli (Narmada region), Mahishadal (W.Bengal), Chirand (Ganga region)
Iron Age (BC 1500 – BC 200)
- Vedic Period (Arrival of Aryans ie. BC 1600 – BC 600) has taken place in this period i.e Nearly 1000 years
- Jainism and Buddhism are the main religions in this period
- Mahajanapadas the major Civilization after Indus Valley is on banks of river Ganga.
- Magadha empire – Bimbisara of Haryanka Kula
- Sisunga dynasty – Kalasoka (Kakavarnin)
- Nanda empire – Mahapadma-Nanda, Dhana-Nanda
- Persian- Greek: Alexander 327 BC
Mauryan Empire (321-185 BC)
Important rules of Mauryan Empire:
- Chandra Gupta Maurya
Gupta Kingdom (300AD – 800AD): Classical Period
Important ruler of Gupta Period
- Samudra Gupta (Indian Napoleon)
Medieval Indian History
Medieval India (AD 700 – AD 1857)
- Delhi Sultanate (1206 AD – 1526 AD)
The following dynasties flourished one after the other during the Delhi Sultanate period.
- Slave Dynasty
- Kilji Dynasty
- Tuglaq Dynasty
- Sayyid Dynasty
- Lodi Dynasty
Mughals (AD 1526 – AD 1857)
- The Mughals from Babar (1526) to Aurangzeb (1707) were more powerful and hence known as Great Mughals.
- Mughals who ruling is from 1707 to 1857 is Later Mughals.
During this period there was arrival of Europeans
Marathas and Sikh are the other Kingdoms of North India.
History of India PDF – Indian History Questions
Modern India (AD 1857 to present)
- In 1857 the first War of Indian Independence has started
- Formation of Indian National Congress has taken place in 1885.
- In 1906 they took the formation of Muslim League.
- Non-Co-operation Movement took a start in the year 1920.
- In the year 1930, the Civil Disobedience Movement has taken place.
- Quit India Movement started in the year 1942.
- In the year 1947 Partition of India has taken place from Pakistan and India won Independence from British people.
- From 1946 to 1950 the Constitutional Development of India took place.
- During this period there were wars between India- Pakistan, and India- China.
- Formation of Bangladesh has taken place during this period
- New Economic Policy of 1991
- Nuclear, Space and Defense Development.
- New notes like 2000 and 200 came in to force during the period.
General Knowledge Questions on History of India – Indian history GK PDF Free Download
- The title ‘Viceroy’ was added to the office of Governor-General of India for the first time in 1858 AD.
- The Vijayanagara ruler, Krishnadev Raya’s work Amuktamakyada, was in Telugu.
- Tripitakas are sacred books of Buddhists.
- The Theory of economic drain of India during British imperialism was propounded by Dadabhai Naoroji.
- The International Day for Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed on 21st March.
- The number of districts in Bangladesh having borders with India is 30.
- The present base year for calculating wholesale price index number is 1991-92.
- On September 1, 2007, Life Insurance Corporation of India completed its 50 years.
- The last Mughal Emperor was Bahadur Shah Jafar.
- 2008 is International Year of Potato.
- The Supreme Court consists of a Chief Justice and 25 Judges.
- Merdeka Cup is related with the game of Football.
- The metal used to make lightning conductors is Copper.
- Formosa was the old name of Taiwan.
- The full form of ECB is External Commercial Borrowing.
- The Indian Parliament is competent to enact the law on a State subject if emergency under Article 352 is in operation.
Some Important GK Questions on history of India for Competitive Exams – Indian History Questions
- The system of competitive exams for civil services was accepted in principle in the year 1853.
- Arabs were defeated in 738 A.D. by Pratiharas.
- The rulers of Vijayanagar made promotion to Tamil, Telugu, and Sanskrit.
- Baltora glacier is located in Karakoram ranges.
- The largest producer of mica in the world is India.
- The medieval book Humayunnama is written by Gulbadan Beghum.
- Delhi is the capital of Mughal Empire.
- Malik Muhammad Jaisi is a Muslim writer who works on the Hindi classic Padmavati.
- Sulva Sutras are related to the branch of mathematics.
- Fraser commission in 1902 is related to reforms in Police.
- The partition of Bengal is made in 1905.
- Battle of Wandiwash is fought between French and East India Company.
- Pillai was the term used for students in Sangam Age.
- Bhandi was a chief secretary of the Indian king Harshavardhan.
- Juna Garh Rock inscription is related to the ancient Gujarat leader Rudradaman.
Indian history gk pdf free download – Indian History pdf
- Antiochus 2 Theos is the ancient Greek king contemporary of Asoka and mentioned him in his edicts.
- In the first battle of Panipat, the battle artillery was used for the first time.
- In Nalanda, the largest Buddhist monastery took an establishment.
- Vallabhi is the capital of the ancient Maitraka dynasty.
- Baji Rao 2 signs the Treaty of Bassein in 1802 with the British East India Company.
- Under Kaka Kalelkar chairmanship in 1953, the first OBC Commission took the formation.
- Hindi Swaraj is the book that was written by Mahatma Gandhi.
- In 1872 the first census in India took place.
- The Ghadar Journal took publishment in the Urdu language.
- The annulment of Partition of Bengal was done by Lord Hardinge.
- Avadh is the region that got affected by the revolution of 1857.
- Jallianwala Bagh Massacre took place on April 13, 1919.
- B.P. Wadia is the one who found the Madras Labour Union.
- Lord Lytton made an introduction to the Vernacular Press Act.
History PDF Free Download – Indian History Questions
|1||History PDF 1||Download History Questions and Answers PDF|
|2||Prehistory PDF 2||Free Download Pre-History PDF|
Indian History Questions – Take Free Quiz on Indian History
Go through the Indian history questions and answers for competitive exams to secure good marks in the GK Section. Candidates who are preparing for the civil service exams can use the Indian History general knowledge questions from our website recruitment.guru. Indian history GK PDF files are available below. Individuals can also check the Indian history GK questions and answers in Hindi also. Go through the above mention Indian history objective questions and answers and start the Quiz on Current Affairs.